Optics - Apparent Change in Position due to Media

In summary, by using Snell's Law and small-angle approximations, it can be shown that a point source appears to be displaced to a point closer to the observer by approximately [(n-1)/n]t when a plane slab of glass with thickness t and index n is inserted between the observer's eye and the point source. The key to solving this problem is to consider another point further back from the object, where a person from inside the glass slab would see the object located.
king vitamin
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A plane slab of glass of thickness t and index n is inserted between an observer's eye and a point source. Show that the point source appears to be displaced to a point closer to the observer by approximately [(n-1)/n]t. Use small-angle approximations.

Homework Equations

Snell's Law and trig relations/approximations. I don't have a way to scan in the diagrams I've drawn, but a good one I've found is here: http://homepage.mac.com/cbakken/obookshelf/image033.gif .

The Attempt at a Solution

Previously I've solved for the apparent change in position of an object placed in a media of higher index of refraction which is analogous to the answer. The problem here is that both the observer and the object are outside of the media, so I can't seem grasp on to any equations relating distance of object, apparent distance of object, and slab thickness. I've been using approximations such as tan[theta]=sin[theta] so I can use Snell's Law, but since the object is located outside of the media I'm not sure how to use the refraction angle for equations. Any hints would be appreciated (I feel like there's just an approximation I'm not thinking of).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I've solved the problem (the trick was to consider another point further back from the object, where a person from inside the glass slab would see the object located).

The apparent change in position of the point source can be explained by Snell's Law, which states that the angle of incidence equals the angle of refraction, or in this case, the angle of the light ray entering the glass slab equals the angle of the light ray exiting the slab. The small-angle approximation can be used because the angles of incidence and refraction are small enough to be considered approximately equal.

Using the diagram provided, we can see that the light ray enters the glass slab at an angle of approximately θ, and exits the slab at an angle of approximately θ'. By Snell's Law, we can write:

sinθ = n sinθ'

Since we are interested in the change in position of the point source, we can use the small-angle approximation to write:

θ ≈ tanθ = sinθ

θ' ≈ tanθ' = sinθ'

Substituting these approximations into Snell's Law, we get:

n sinθ ≈ sinθ'

n tanθ ≈ tanθ'

Since tanθ = t/L, where L is the distance between the point source and the observer's eye, and tanθ' = t/L', where L' is the apparent distance between the point source and the observer's eye, we can write:

n(t/L) ≈ (t/L')

Solving for L', we get:

L' ≈ Ln/L

Since we are interested in the change in position, we can subtract the original distance L from both sides to get:

L' - L ≈ L(n-1)/n

Therefore, the apparent change in position of the point source is approximately (n-1)/n times the original distance L.

In terms of the slab thickness t, we can write:

L' - L ≈ (n-1)t

Therefore, the point source appears to be displaced to a point closer to the observer by approximately (n-1)t.

This result is consistent with our intuition, as a higher index of refraction means that light travels slower in the medium, causing the apparent distance of the point source to decrease.

1. What is the apparent change in position due to media?

The apparent change in position due to media, also known as refraction, is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums. This can cause objects to appear to be in a different position than their actual location.

2. How does the density of a medium affect the apparent change in position?

The density of a medium plays a major role in the apparent change in position. Light travels at different speeds through different materials, and the denser the material, the slower the speed of light. This causes the light to bend more, resulting in a larger apparent change in position.

3. Can the apparent change in position be predicted?

Yes, the apparent change in position can be predicted using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two media.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the apparent change in position?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which light enters a medium, also affects the apparent change in position. The greater the angle of incidence, the greater the angle of refraction and therefore, the larger the apparent change in position.

5. What are some real-life applications of the apparent change in position due to media?

The apparent change in position due to media has various applications in everyday life. Some examples include the refraction of light through lenses in glasses, the mirage effect seen in the desert, and the bending of light in a prism to create a rainbow.