Optics Newton’s ring apparatus Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the second wavelength of light in a Newton's ring apparatus with a spherical surface of 1 m radius. The 11th bright ring of one wavelength coincides with the 10th ring of the other wavelength. The solution involves using the formula for the radius of the mth bright ring, which differs between sources in terms of whether to use "m+1/2" or "m-1/2". This discrepancy could be due to a difference in how m is defined, whether starting at 0 or 1. The confusion is also present when considering minima instead of maxima.
roam

Homework Statement

Here is a worked problem:

A Newton’s ring apparatus is illuminated by light with two wavelength components. One of
these wavelengths is 546 nm. If the 11th bright ring of the 546 nm fringe coincides with the
10th ring of the other wavelength, what is the second wavelength? The spherical surface
has a radius of 1 m.

Solution:

Radius of mth bright ring is:

##x = ((m-\frac{1}{2})\lambda R)^{1/2}##

So

##(10.5 \times 546 \times 10^{-9} \times 1)^{1/2} = (9.5 \times \lambda \times 1)^{1/2}##

##\lambda = 603.5 \ nm##

I don't see why they've used "m-1/2" instead of "m+1/2"?

Homework Equations

According to my textbook the radius of mth bright fringe is:

##x = ((m+\frac{1}{2})\lambda R)^{1/2}##

Where R is the radius of curvature of the convex lens.

The Attempt at a Solution

My textbook always uses "m+1/2" whereas my lecture notes always use "m-1/2". I'm confused because id I use the first one I get an entirely different answer.

I would appreciate it if anyone could explain why we need to use the minus for this particular problem, and not the plus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could there be a difference in how m is defined like is the very first ring m=0 or is it m=1

that is do they start counting at ZERO or at ONE?

Likes 1 person
Thank you. I think if we start counting at ##m=0##, we should use ##m+\frac{1}{2}##. And if we count from ##m=1## then we should use ##m- \frac{1}{2}##.

BUT what if the problem asked for minima, instead of maxima?

I mean, the condition for minima is ##m \lambda##. Here do we count from m=0, or from m=1?? :confused:

1. What is Newton's ring apparatus?

Newton's ring apparatus is a scientific instrument used to study the phenomenon of interference in optics. It consists of a plano-convex lens placed on top of a flat glass plate, with a small amount of air trapped in between. When illuminated with monochromatic light, a pattern of concentric rings is observed, known as Newton's rings.

2. How does Newton's ring apparatus work?

The light incident on the convex surface is partially reflected and partially transmitted. The reflected light then interferes with the light reflected from the flat surface of the glass plate, creating the pattern of rings. The diameter of the rings is directly proportional to the thickness of the air layer and can be used to measure small differences in thickness.

3. What is the purpose of using monochromatic light in Newton's ring apparatus?

Monochromatic light is used to ensure that the interference pattern is distinct and clear, as the rings would not be visible if light of multiple wavelengths were used. This is because the interference pattern is dependent on the wavelength of light.

4. What is the significance of Newton's rings in optics?

The phenomenon of Newton's rings is important in the study of interference in optics and has practical applications in the measurement of small distances and the testing of optical components. It also provides evidence for the wave nature of light and supports the theory of interference.

5. How can Newton's rings be used to measure small distances?

The diameter of the rings can be measured using a micrometer, and the thickness of the air layer can then be calculated using the formula for the path difference of interfering waves. This can be used to measure small distances, such as the thickness of thin films or the radius of curvature of lenses.