Optics question- two lens system

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems assigned by a teacher that involve using thick and thin lens equations to find the effective focal length and principal planes of a two-lens system. The student is struggling with getting different solutions for both equations and is unsure if they are doing something wrong or if the teacher gave incorrect information. After discussing their attempted solutions, they eventually figure out the mistake and confirm that both equations should give the same answer.
Groundd
My teacher assigned us 2 problems to do that were the exact same. One he wanted us to use the thin lenses equation, and the other he wanted us to use think lens equation. i need help becuase I don't know which one I am doing wrong and my answer is not lining up as it should, since they are the same problem, it should be the same solution. I think I am messing up on the thin lense beucase he worked out part of it out when he wanted us to use think lense

Homework Statement

Find the effective focal length of the two lens system. The focal length of the first lens is 20 cm and the second lens is -20 cm with the separation between the two lens being 10 cm. Locate the principal planes. Locate the image of an object that is 1 m in front of the first lens. Express the location relative to the location of the second lens.

f1is 20cm
f2is -20
and the distance between the two is 10 cm
the object is 1m(100 cm) in front of the first lens

Homework Equations

for thick lense the equation is :

(1/so) + (1/si) = 1/f

and f of both lens is found by ff = ((1/f1) + (1/f2) - (d/f1f2))-1

for the thin lens it is

si2 = ((1/f2) - (1/so2))-1

The Attempt at a Solution

For the thick lens I found
h1 = -(f1f2)d/f2 = -20
h2 = -(f1f2)d/f1 = -20

so = d - (h1 = 80
and that ff = 40 from the above equation
so
i had (1/80) + (1/si) = 1/40
solved for si = 80

However for thin lens I found

So1 = 100cm
f1 = 20 cm
Si1 = ((1/f1) - (1/so1))-1 = 25

then so2 = d - si1 = 10 cm - 25 cm = -15 cm

finally si2 = ((1/f2)-(1/so2))-1 = 60

obviously 60 does not equally 80 and I have no idea what I did wrong. I think that what I got for so for the thick lens is wrong because when i switch it to 120 i get 60 . However my professor said that so was 80.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't you expect the distances to be different? For thick lenses, the thickness of the lens can't be negligible as in the thin lens case.
Welcome to PF, btw.

Thanks. I found PF awhile ago but I have just been browsing for the most part until now.

I would expect the distances to be different beucase of that reason, however my professor said they should be the same.

so I don't know if I am doing it wrong, or he told us wrong.

shameless bump

Hey there, your principle plane ([itex]h_2[/itex]), is incorrect, it should yield a positive value. Your [itex]s_i[/itex], you should get your [itex]s_i = 80cm[/itex] is correct, but this is the distance from the principle plane. So you must subtract the [itex]+20cm[/itex] to get the distance from the second lens.

Both the thick lens and thin lens formulas give you the same answer. Sanity check here, if the experimental setup remains the same. Do you expect using different calculations (with appropriate approximations), to give a different answer? I hope not.Sam

Last edited:
Thanks. I finally got it and forgot to post on here that I figured out what was wrong

This thread can be locked beucase it was solved

Groundd, isn't there an option for you to mark your thread "Solved"?

They don't lock up homework threads just because they are solved, locking threads is for other problems that don't apply here.

1. What is a two lens system in optics?

A two lens system in optics refers to a setup where two lenses are placed in a series, with the first lens focusing the light and the second lens further refining the image. This is commonly used in telescopes, microscopes, and cameras to produce a magnified and clear image.

2. How does a two lens system work?

A two lens system works by utilizing the principles of refraction and the properties of lenses. The first lens refracts the light and focuses it at a specific point, while the second lens further bends the light and refines the image. The combination of these two lenses results in a magnified and clear image.

3. What is the purpose of using a two lens system?

The purpose of using a two lens system is to produce a magnified and clear image of an object. The first lens, known as the objective lens, collects and focuses the light, and the second lens, known as the eyepiece, further magnifies and refines the image for the viewer to see.

4. How do you calculate the magnification of a two lens system?

The magnification of a two lens system can be calculated by dividing the focal length of the objective lens by the focal length of the eyepiece. For example, if the focal length of the objective lens is 20 cm and the focal length of the eyepiece is 5 cm, the magnification would be 20/5 = 4x.

5. What are some common applications of a two lens system?

A two lens system is commonly used in telescopes, microscopes, and cameras to produce magnified and clear images. It is also used in eyeglasses, binoculars, and other optical devices. Additionally, it is used in industrial and scientific equipment for imaging and inspection purposes.