1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics - Three polarizers with 1 moving

1. Jul 2, 2014 #1

DataGG

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Thee linear polarizers are in sequence. Let first and last polarizer be crossed (perpendicular to each-other) and the middle polarizer rotate with angular frequency ##\omega##. Show that under such circumstances, ##I## is given by: $$I = I_0 \frac{1}{16}(1-\cos (4\omega t))$$.

The light that strikes the first polarizer is unpolarized.

Please, see the following link (yes, my paint skills are horrible! I tried to make it in inkspace, but I don't know how to work with that program yet!): https://imgur.com/UwQShhx

2. Relevant equations

Malus Law, which is given by ##I(\theta) = I_0 \cos^2 (\theta)##

3. The attempt at a solution

If you saw the following link, you noticed two angles, ##\theta## and ##\alpha##.

I think ##\theta=\omega t ## and ##\alpha = 90 - \omega t##

So, after the first polarizer:

$$I_1= \frac{I_0}{2}$$

After the second polarizer:

$$I_2= I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t)$$

After the third polarizer:

$$I_3 = I_2 \cos^2 (90-\omega t) \Leftrightarrow I_3 = I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t) \cos^2 (90-\omega t) $$

I can play around with that but I never arrive at the ##I = I_0 \frac{1}{16}(1-\cos (4\omega t))##.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You need to monkey around with some trig identities. Step 1: Get rid of that ##90 - \omega t## term. (Get everything in terms of just ##\omega t ##.) Then you are just two identities away from the answer.

4. Jul 2, 2014 #3

DataGG

Gold Member

Hey Doc, thx for answering.

I did do that in paper, which I'll copy to latex below:

$$ I_3 = I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t) \cos^2 (90-\omega t) = I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t)[\cos (90) \cos (\omega t) - \sin (90) \sin (\omega t)]^2 = I_1 cos^2 (\omega t) (-sin^2 (\omega t)) $$

Oh, btw, I forgot to say that the light that strikes the first polarized is unpolarized. Will edit OP.

EDIT: Sorry, that latex line is long. Kind of ruins the forum template for me. Don't know how to make it so the equal signs are aligned in different lines..

5. Jul 2, 2014 #4

Doc Al

OK, except for a sign error.

Keep going.

6. Jul 2, 2014 #5

DataGG

Gold Member

Indeed, there is a sign error.

$$I_3 = I_1 cos^2 (\omega t) (sin^2 (\omega t)) = \frac{I_0}{2} \cos^2 (\omega t) [1-cos^2(\omega t)] = \frac{I_0}{2} [\frac{1}{2}(1+ \cos (2 \omega t)][1-\frac{1}{2}(1+ \cos (2 \omega t)] $$

Then comes

$$I_3= \frac{I_0}{4}(1+ \cos (2 \omega t)) (\frac{1}{2}(1- \cos (2 \omega t)) = \frac{I_0}{8} (1 - cos^2 (2 \omega t))$$

And now I'm not sure what to do.. Maybe expand the square? I'm not seeing anything..

EDIT: Actually, expanding the square might probably work. I'll then have another co-sin term squared, and If I do the substitution I used above, a 1/16 will appear and.. ya, let me try it on paper..

7. Jul 2, 2014 #6

Doc Al

You have another sign error: When you express ##\cos^2 \omega t## in terms of ##\cos 2\omega t##. Fix that and you're almost home.

8. Jul 2, 2014 #7

DataGG

Gold Member

I made a sign mistake there, again! Will correct asap

edit: damn, you were faster!

edit2: Fixed the mistake, I think.

9. Jul 2, 2014 #8

Doc Al

Believe it or not, you still have a sign error. In your second line.

10. Jul 2, 2014 #9

DataGG

Gold Member

humm

11. Jul 2, 2014 #10

Doc Al

Consider the very last factor in your first line, which is correct. When you simplified that factor in the second line, you messed up a bit.

12. Jul 2, 2014 #11

DataGG

Gold Member

I'm an idiot! Alright, I now finally got it. Edited the post and below is the solution:

$$I_3 = \frac {I_0}{8}[1- \cos^2 (2 \omega t)] = \frac {I_0}{8} (1 - \frac {1}{2} - \frac {\cos (4 \omega t}{2})$$

and then finally,

$$I_3 = \frac {I_0}{16} (1- \cos (4 \omega t))$$

Thank you Doc Al!

13. Jul 2, 2014 #12

Doc Al

:thumbs: (And you are welcome!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted