Optics - Three polarizers with 1 moving

• Thread starter DataGG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the orientation of polarizers affects the intensity of light passing through, with maximum intensity when they are aligned and decreasing as they become more perpendicular. When a polarizer is rotated between two fixed polarizers, the intensity of light decreases and reaches a minimum when perpendicular. Adding more polarizers further decreases the intensity of light. Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field of light waves and can be achieved by using polarizing filters. The intensity of light passing through multiple polarizers can be calculated using Malus' law.
DataGG
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Thee linear polarizers are in sequence. Let first and last polarizer be crossed (perpendicular to each-other) and the middle polarizer rotate with angular frequency ##\omega##. Show that under such circumstances, ##I## is given by: $$I = I_0 \frac{1}{16}(1-\cos (4\omega t))$$.

The light that strikes the first polarizer is unpolarized.

Please, see the following link (yes, my paint skills are horrible! I tried to make it in inkspace, but I don't know how to work with that program yet!): https://imgur.com/UwQShhx

Homework Equations

Malus Law, which is given by ##I(\theta) = I_0 \cos^2 (\theta)##

The Attempt at a Solution

If you saw the following link, you noticed two angles, ##\theta## and ##\alpha##.

I think ##\theta=\omega t ## and ##\alpha = 90 - \omega t##

So, after the first polarizer:

$$I_1= \frac{I_0}{2}$$

After the second polarizer:

$$I_2= I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t)$$

After the third polarizer:

$$I_3 = I_2 \cos^2 (90-\omega t) \Leftrightarrow I_3 = I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t) \cos^2 (90-\omega t) $$

I can play around with that but I never arrive at the ##I = I_0 \frac{1}{16}(1-\cos (4\omega t))##.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DataGG said:
After the third polarizer:

$$I_3 = I_2 \cos^2 (90-\omega t) \Leftrightarrow I_3 = I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t) \cos^2 (90-\omega t) $$

I can play around with that but I never arrive at the ##I = I_0 \frac{1}{16}(1-\cos (4\omega t))##.

Any ideas?
You need to monkey around with some trig identities. Step 1: Get rid of that ##90 - \omega t## term. (Get everything in terms of just ##\omega t ##.) Then you are just two identities away from the answer.

Doc Al said:
You need to monkey around with some trig identities. Step 1: Get rid of that ##90 - \omega t## term. (Get everything in terms of just ##\omega t ##.) Then you are just two identities away from the answer.

Hey Doc, thanks for answering.

I did do that in paper, which I'll copy to latex below:

$$ I_3 = I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t) \cos^2 (90-\omega t) = I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t)[\cos (90) \cos (\omega t) - \sin (90) \sin (\omega t)]^2 = I_1 cos^2 (\omega t) (-sin^2 (\omega t)) $$

Oh, btw, I forgot to say that the light that strikes the first polarized is unpolarized. Will edit OP.

EDIT: Sorry, that latex line is long. Kind of ruins the forum template for me. Don't know how to make it so the equal signs are aligned in different lines..

Last edited:
DataGG said:
I did do that in paper, which I'll copy to latex above:

$$ I_3 = I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t) \cos^2 (90-\omega t) = I_1 \cos^2 (\omega t)[\cos (90) \cos (\omega t) - \sin (90) \sin (\omega t)]^2 = I_1 cos^2 (\omega t) (-sin^2 (\omega t)) $$
OK, except for a sign error.

Keep going.

Doc Al said:
OK, except for a sign error.

Keep going.

Indeed, there is a sign error.

$$I_3 = I_1 cos^2 (\omega t) (sin^2 (\omega t)) = \frac{I_0}{2} \cos^2 (\omega t) [1-cos^2(\omega t)] = \frac{I_0}{2} [\frac{1}{2}(1+ \cos (2 \omega t)][1-\frac{1}{2}(1+ \cos (2 \omega t)] $$

Then comes

$$I_3= \frac{I_0}{4}(1+ \cos (2 \omega t)) (\frac{1}{2}(1- \cos (2 \omega t)) = \frac{I_0}{8} (1 - cos^2 (2 \omega t))$$

And now I'm not sure what to do.. Maybe expand the square? I'm not seeing anything..

EDIT: Actually, expanding the square might probably work. I'll then have another co-sin term squared, and If I do the substitution I used above, a 1/16 will appear and.. ya, let me try it on paper..

Last edited:
DataGG said:
Indeed, there is a sign error.

$$I_3 = I_1 cos^2 (\omega t) (sin^2 (\omega t)) = \frac{I_0}{2} \cos^2 (\omega t) [1-cos^2(\omega t)] = \frac{I_0}{2} [\frac{1}{2}(1- \cos (2 \omega t)][1-\frac{1}{2}(1- \cos (2 \omega t)] $$

Then comes

$$I_3= \frac{I_0}{4}(1- \cos (2 \omega t)) (\frac{1}{2}(1- \cos (2 \omega t)) = \frac{I_0}{8} (1 - cos (2 \omega t))^2 $$

And now I'm not sure what to do.. Maybe expand the square? I'm not seeing anything..

EDIT: Actually, expanding the square might probably work. I'll then have another co-sin term squared, and If I do the substitution I used above, a 1/16 will appear and.. ya, let me try it on paper..
You have another sign error: When you express ##\cos^2 \omega t## in terms of ##\cos 2\omega t##. Fix that and you're almost home.

I made a sign mistake there, again! Will correct asap

edit: damn, you were faster!

edit2: Fixed the mistake, I think.

Last edited:
DataGG said:
I made a sign mistake there, again! Will correct asap

edit: damn, you were faster!

edit2: Fixed the mistake, I think.
Believe it or not, you still have a sign error. In your second line.

humm

DataGG said:
humm
Consider the very last factor in your first line, which is correct. When you simplified that factor in the second line, you messed up a bit.

Likes 1 person
I'm an idiot! Alright, I now finally got it. Edited the post and below is the solution:

$$I_3 = \frac {I_0}{8}[1- \cos^2 (2 \omega t)] = \frac {I_0}{8} (1 - \frac {1}{2} - \frac {\cos (4 \omega t}{2})$$

and then finally,

$$I_3 = \frac {I_0}{16} (1- \cos (4 \omega t))$$

Thank you Doc Al!

DataGG said:
I'm an idiot! Alright, I now finally got it. Edited the post and below is the solution:

$$I_3 = \frac {I_0}{8}[1- \cos^2 (2 \omega t)] = \frac {I_0}{8} (1 - \frac {1}{2} - \frac {\cos (4 \omega t}{2})$$

and then finally,

$$I_3 = \frac {I_0}{16} (1- \cos (4 \omega t))$$

Thank you Doc Al!
:thumbs: (And you are welcome!)

1. How does the orientation of the polarizers affect the intensity of light passing through?

The orientation of the polarizers determines the amount of light that can pass through. When the polarizers are aligned, maximum intensity of light can pass through. As the orientation of the polarizers becomes more perpendicular, the intensity of light decreases.

2. What happens to the intensity of light when a polarizer is rotated between two fixed polarizers?

The intensity of light passing through the three polarizers will decrease as the middle polarizer is rotated. There will be a minimum intensity when the middle polarizer is perpendicular to the other two polarizers.

3. How does the number of polarizers affect the intensity of light?

The more polarizers you add, the lower the intensity of light will be. This is because each polarizer blocks a portion of the light, resulting in a decrease in overall intensity.

4. Can you explain the concept of "polarization" in optics?

Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field of light waves. When a light wave passes through a polarizing filter, the filter only allows light waves with a certain orientation of the electric field to pass through, while blocking others. This results in a polarized beam of light.

5. How can the intensity of light be calculated when multiple polarizers are used?

To calculate the intensity of light when multiple polarizers are used, you can use the Malus' law. This law states that the intensity of light passing through two polarizers is equal to the initial intensity multiplied by the cosine squared of the angle between the two polarizers. This can be extended to three polarizers by using this law twice.