Solve Max Volume of Trapezoidal Prism | Optimization Problem

• Thread starter jen333
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about finding the optimal angle of theta for a trough-shaped trapezoidal prism to maximize its volume. The prism has a length of 20m and a shorter base of 1m, with a hypotenuse of 1m. The height is assigned as x while the shorter side of the triangle is (1-x^2)^(1/2). The formula for volume is V=20x(2+2(1-x^2)^(1/2))/2 and the derivative is V'=-20x^2+20(1-x^2)^(1/2)+20-20x^2. The question is how to solve for x with the root (
jen333
Hi! I have a tricky optimization question here. Not so much setting it up, but solving the derivative for x. (if i did set it up right)

Question: A what angle of theta is the trough (trapezoidal prism) to allow maximum volume?
Unfortunately, i don't have any program that allows me to draw out the diagram (not even paint) so hopefully my symbols/letters diagram will substitute

Face of prism, prism is 20m in length
_______
\ |____| /

the shorter base (b1) is 1m, while the hypotenuse of the end triangles are 1m as well
height is assigned as x while the shorter side of the triangle is (1-x^2)^(1/2)
(the longer base) b2=1+2(1-x^2)^(1/2 theta is the angle between x and the hypotenuse which i know can be solved by cos(theta)=x

so: V=lh (b1+b2)
therefore: V=20x(2+2(1-x^2)^(1/2))/2

V'=-20x^2+20(1-x^2)^(1/2)+20-20x^2
0= -40x^2+20(1-x^2)^(1-2)+20

IF i did everything correctly, my question is, how would I solve for x with the root (1-x^2) in the way? I tried squaring all terms, bu that only left me with X^4 and X^2.

help appreciated! thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a trapezoidal prism?

The formula for finding the volume of a trapezoidal prism is V = (1/2)h(a + b)L, where h is the height of the prism, a and b are the lengths of the parallel sides of the trapezoid base, and L is the length of the prism.

2. How do you solve for the maximum volume of a trapezoidal prism?

To solve for the maximum volume of a trapezoidal prism, you need to set up an optimization problem. This involves finding the derivative of the volume formula, setting it equal to zero, and solving for the value of h that maximizes the volume. You can also use the quadratic formula to solve for the maximum volume if the derivative is a quadratic equation.

3. What is the difference between a trapezoidal prism and a rectangular prism?

A trapezoidal prism has a trapezoid-shaped base, while a rectangular prism has a rectangular-shaped base. This means that the trapezoidal prism has two parallel sides of different lengths, while a rectangular prism has all sides of equal length. Additionally, the faces of a trapezoidal prism are not perpendicular to its base, while the faces of a rectangular prism are.

4. Can the volume of a trapezoidal prism be negative?

No, the volume of a trapezoidal prism cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space, and it cannot have a negative value. If your calculations result in a negative volume, it means there is an error in your formula or calculation.

5. What is the real-world application of finding the maximum volume of a trapezoidal prism?

There are many real-world applications of finding the maximum volume of a trapezoidal prism, such as optimizing the design of a storage container or packaging box. It can also be used in construction to determine the maximum capacity of a trapezoidal-shaped tank or silo. Additionally, it can be applied in manufacturing to maximize the volume of a product while minimizing the amount of material used.