1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimazation Problem

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    Hi! I have a tricky optimization question here. Not so much setting it up, but solving the derivative for x. (if i did set it up right)

Question: A what angle of theta is the trough (trapezoidal prism) to allow maximum volume?
    Unfortunately, i don't have any program that allows me to draw out the diagram (not even paint) so hopefully my symbols/letters diagram will substitute

Face of prism, prism is 20m in length
    \ |____| /

the shorter base (b1) is 1m, while the hypotenuse of the end triangles are 1m as well
    height is assigned as x while the shorter side of the triangle is (1-x^2)^(1/2)
    (the longer base) b2=1+2(1-x^2)^(1/2 theta is the angle between x and the hypotenuse which i know can be solved by cos(theta)=x

so: V=lh (b1+b2)
    therefore: V=20x(2+2(1-x^2)^(1/2))/2

0= -40x^2+20(1-x^2)^(1-2)+20

IF i did everything correctly, my question is, how would I solve for x with the root (1-x^2) in the way? I tried squaring all terms, bu that only left me with X^4 and X^2.

help appreciated! thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?