Maximizing Two Functions with Constraints in Phase Covariant Cloning Machine

In summary, the task is to find the optimal phase covariant cloning machine by maximizing two functions of six variables, subject to various constraints. The functions are clearly maximized if all variables become 1, and there are also other sets of variables that can provide optimality. The variables are real scalars that vary between -1 and 1, and a set of variables that satisfy certain orthonormalization and other constraints is believed to be optimal. The method for proving optimality is still being determined, but the Lagrange's equations have been used to show that the specific set of variables mentioned satisfies the conditions.
elere
hello, in the task of finding the optimal phase covariant cloning machine, i have to maximize two functions of six variables :f1=a.C+b.D and f2=a.B+c.D , they are many constraints, but I've already used them to get to those expressions in the first place, the variables are real scalars and vary between -1 and 1. of course I'm not searching for numerical values for the six variables, in fact I've already got a transformation (set of variables) which i know is optimal, all I'm looking for is a way to prove that it is actually optimal and i know there can be others sets of variables which provide optimality.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The functions are clearly maximized if all variables become 1. You can also flip the signs of a, B and C together, or the signs of b, c, and D together, or both groups together, without changing the result. Proof: looked at the expression. But you can also use some inequalities to prove that those solutions maximize both f1 and f2 in a formal way.

mfb said:
The functions are clearly maximized if all variables become 1..
my fault, the 6 variables along with two others that I've managed to simplify in the expressions verifies a orthonormalization conditition :
a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2=1 and aA+bB+cC+dD=0 . and here are the ramaining constraints : Ac+Bd=Ab+Cd=0 and ac+AC+bd+BD=ab+AB+cd+CD=0. the set that i want to proof it's optimality and which verify the above conditions is {a=1,b=c=d=0, A=D=0}.

Okay, so a=B=C=1, and everything else zero? Then f1=f2=1.

From looking at it: a=-b=C=D=1/sqrt(2) and everything else zero lead to f1=1 as well, but then f2=0. How exactly do you want to maximize the functions? The sum of both? Both individually? Something else?

There are 6 constraints on 8 variables, unless you need a mathematical proof most algorithms should quickly find all local maxima.

well, B and C aren't equal to one, they are parameters which satisfy A^2+B^2=1 (first constraint). and for the way to maximize the functions, well i guess in anyway, as the two variables B and C (which can be seen as Cos and Sin) are not specified, the symmetrical case correspond to maximizing the Sum and minimizing the difference. to be specific i need to show that this set of variables with the constraint A^2+B^2=1, verify the optimality condition (df1=0, df2=0), so i was thinking that maybe i could write this conditions in a more explicit form, as a function of the variables, I've tried the la grange multipliers, but i'v got confuse with putting the second optimality condition (df2=0) as a constraint for the first one.

elere said:
A^2+B^2=1 (first constraint)
Where does that come from now?

mfb said:
Where does that come from now?
i'm really sorry, I've forget one costraint, the constraint is A^2+B^2+C^2+D^2=1, and since A=D=0 ...

Then you have 7 constraints on 8 parameters. That is a one-dimensional problem, fixing one parameter fixes all others (up to some discrete changes like flipping signs).

yes it is, i managed (finally) to write the lagrange's equations, which are satisfied for the specific set of variables I've mentioned ! thanks for your time and you help :smile:

Related to Maximizing Two Functions with Constraints in Phase Covariant Cloning Machine

1. What is the purpose of optimizing two functions?

The purpose of optimizing two functions is to find the values of the input variables that will yield the maximum or minimum value of the output variables. This can help to improve the performance or efficiency of a system or process.

2. How do you determine the optimal values for the input variables?

The optimal values for the input variables are determined using mathematical techniques such as calculus and linear algebra. These methods involve finding critical points, where the gradient of the function is equal to zero, and analyzing the behavior of the function around those points.

3. What are the different types of optimization techniques for two functions?

Some common optimization techniques for two functions include gradient descent, Newton's method, and the simplex method. Each technique has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of functions and optimization problems.

4. Can optimization of two functions be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, optimization of two functions is widely used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science to solve real-world problems. For example, it can be used to optimize the production process in a factory or to find the most cost-effective solution for a business problem.

5. What are some challenges in optimizing two functions?

One of the main challenges in optimizing two functions is finding the global optimum, which is the absolute highest or lowest value of the function. This can be difficult if the function has multiple local optima, where the gradient is equal to zero but the function is not maximized or minimized. Another challenge is finding an efficient and accurate way to calculate the optimal values, especially for complex functions.