1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization Problem involving a wire

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    1. A piece of wire 10 m long is cut into two pieces. One piece is bent into a square and the other is bent into an equilateral triangle. How should the wire be cut so that the total area enclosed is (a) a maximum? (b) A minimum?

2. [itex]A_{s}(x) = x^{2}, A_{t}(x)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}x^{2}[/itex]

3. The first equation is the length of the side of a square and the second is the length of a side of an equilateral triangle and the height of the triangle.[itex]L_{s}=\frac{x}{4}, L_{s2}=\frac{10-x}{3}, h=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6} (10-x), A(x)=\frac{x^{2}}{16}+\frac{1}{6}(10-x)*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6}(10-x) = \frac{x^{2}}{16}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{36}(10-x)^{2}; A'(x)=\frac{x}{8}-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{18}(10-x); x= \frac{\frac{5\sqrt{3}}{9}}{\frac{1}{8}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{18}}=\frac{\frac{5\sqrt{3}}{9}}{\frac{1}{4}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{9}}[/itex] How do I simplify this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Arithmetic is a good start. Can you find a common denominator for the denominator?

4. Apr 20, 2013 #3
    If I simplify it, here's how it looks, [itex]\frac{20\sqrt{3}}{9+4\sqrt{3}}[/itex] and if I multiply by 2, I get[itex]\frac{40\sqrt{3}}{9+4\sqrt{3}}[/itex]. Does this look right?

5. Apr 21, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks OK.

6. Apr 21, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can simplify that a bit more. Do you know a trick for getting rid of terms like a+√b from denominators?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted