Optimizing Thermal Management for Wooden Computer Cases: A Fan-Based Solution?

In summary, a computer case made out of wood will likely need two fans to keep it at a stable temperature. The computer itself will also rely on convention, so you should probably line up its air exit vent with the one in your case. You should also consider a dust filter and a temperature controlled fan.
TomEMB
I am working on a project; a computer case made out of wood, most likely oak. I was wondering if two fans (one bringing air in, on taking air out) would be enough to keep the system at a stable temperature. I wasnt sure because i know most cases are made of thin metal which conducts and transfers heat better whereas mine will be thicker wood which has decent insulative properties. Maybe anyone could suggest ways to get more heat out of the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to do it with a single fan. You should also consider a dust filter.
If the computer is also relying on convention, you should probably line up its air exit vent with the one in your case.

Also, make sure that the path of the moving air meets every component which has heat dissipation.
If you are still unsure pick a temperature controlled fan and put it so that it sucks out the warm air.

.Scott said:
You should be able to do it with a single fan. You should also consider a dust filter.
If the computer is also relying on convention, you should probably line up its air exit vent with the one in your case.
OK Thanks for the help. Think i was getting too complicated
.Scott said:
Ok thanks for the help. I was grtting to complicated. Good idea for a dust filtet

Rive said:
Also, make sure that the path of the moving air meets every component which has heat dissipation.
If you are still unsure pick a temperature controlled fan and put it so that it sucks out the warm air.
Yeh i will try get a temp controlled fan and design a layout that gives max airflow to components. Thanks for the help.

Can you post a picture of your motherboard and anything else inside the computer box? There will be preferred places to put a fan or fans. Also, if the PC you are basing this on has a fan, you should probably just duplicate the position of the fan in your box...

And does your power supply module already have its own exhaust fan built-in?

https://www.slideshare.net/JeehoonChoi/thermal-and-airflow-modeling-methodology-for-desktop-pc

thermal-and-airflow-modeling-methodology-for-desktop-pc-24-728.jpg

Attachments

• thermal-and-airflow-modeling-methodology-for-desktop-pc-24-728.jpg
    thermal-and-airflow-modeling-methodology-for-desktop-pc-24-728.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 517
Likes russ_watters and jim mcnamara
Just a tip.. larger diameter fans are quieter than small ones for the same airflow rate.

Likes russ_watters
I tried several different fan configurations when I built my current machine. It's in an old Antec server case, 21H x 8W x 17D (inches) with several hard drives in it (too lazy to open it and count at the moment). It has the usual 5 inch power supply exhaust fan at top rear and four 3-inch case fans. Using on-chip sensors and an electronic thermometer to measure intake and exhaust temperatures, I took temperatures with various fan configurations.

Lowest operating and exhaust temperatures were with:
Front fan, intake blowing over hard drives (there is also a bit of open front area that seems to act as intake; dust build-up around there)
Side fan, intake blowing over video and other expansion cards
2 rear fans, exhaust from near the CPU

At one point I had a flaky memory stick and added a small fan blowing/circulating air between the chips.
FIlter material at the intakes is two layers of some open cell foam I had laying around. Other filter material, at least in the US, is available at the large-chain home improvment stores. Look in the heating/plumbing section for heating vent filters.

This is a floor-standing tower chassis and requires cleaning every 1 to 3 months depending on the local environment. Most cleaning is done with a damp paper towel to clean surfaces and wipe of the fan blades. The heatsinks, power supply, and unoccupied expansion connectors are cleaned with a squirt of canned air. The filters just need warm water and some squeezing.

I still run across the collected temperature data occassionally, but can never find it when needed, like now!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes berkeman
Please also post a pic of your completed project. Sounds like it’s going to look pretty nice.

1. What is thermal dissipation?

Thermal dissipation is the process of releasing or dissipating heat energy from a system to maintain a stable temperature.

2. What are some common examples of thermal dissipation problems?

Examples of thermal dissipation problems include overheating electronic devices, cooling systems for engines, and heat transfer in industrial processes.

3. How is thermal dissipation measured?

Thermal dissipation is typically measured in units of watts (W) or British Thermal Units (BTUs) per hour. This indicates the amount of heat that is being dissipated per unit of time.

4. What are the main factors that affect thermal dissipation?

The main factors that affect thermal dissipation include the material's thermal conductivity, the surface area of the object, and the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings.

5. How can thermal dissipation problems be solved?

Thermal dissipation problems can be solved by using materials with higher thermal conductivity, increasing the surface area of the object, and implementing effective cooling or heat transfer systems.