Does Mass Affect Orbital Velocity for Satellites in Similar Earth Orbits?

In summary, two satellites are placed in circular Earth orbits at the same altitude, but one has three times the mass of the other. The question is what orbital velocity would the heavier satellite need to remain in orbit. The conversation discusses various theories and equations, including the relationship between gravitational force and centripetal acceleration, and the irrelevance of mass in determining orbital velocity. The conclusion is that the mass does not affect the orbital velocity and that the use of equations should not be relied upon to understand the concept of orbit.
samaank
Can someone help me with this question?

A science group put a satellite of mass 'm' KG into a circular Earth orbit of radius 'r'. The orbital velocity it needs to remain in this orbit is v. They now put another satellite into a simmilar orbit at the same altitude. Its mass is 3 times 'm'. What orbital velocity would it need to be given? give reasons why using mathematical reasoning.

thanks, i really appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas? We're not going to do it for you.

Can you think of any reasons why the orbital speed would depend on the mass of the satellite?

this is my theory, its more conceptual that it is mathematical and i could be wrong.
If you have a 1kg marble tied at the end of a string and spin it, it will have a certain amount of centrifugal force, however if you had a 10k marble on the end of a string and spun it at the same speed it would have a greater outward centrifugal force. and if we say that gravity is that string then the same idea applies. so the heavier the object the more/less velocity is needed to keep it in orbit, otherwise it would spiral out getting further and further from the Earth with every orbit. any ideas? I'm totally lost and being bombarded with work.

do any of kepler's laws apply here?

just point me in the right direction with some tips or momentum

Now I understand why I was so lucky to have been taught motion properly, if you are taught the idea of orbit as balanced forces you really have no chance of developing a reliable insight into the physics of the situation. The motion of any object in free fall is (neglecting air resistance) not dependent on the mass.

If you imagine a spaceship that can separate into two halves in orbit, it does not suddenly change speed when separation occurs.

If you have a mass on a number of strings and swing it round your head (a very stupid thing to do) it does not speed up or slow down if separated from itself (as long as all the parts stay on some string obviously)

Just think, if the mass of an object is three times of the other, what will be the ratio of free fall acceleration?

i know that the forces have to be balanced to have orbit, u didnt understand my analogy. can someone please actually help me?

gnpatterson said:
If you imagine a spaceship that can separate into two halves in orbit, it does not suddenly change speed when separation occurs.

This was not helpful ?!

If you start with the equation for the gravitational force between two objects. You can then equate this to the equation for centripetal acceleration.

With these two equations it is then just a case of cancelling out.

I assume that given that you have been given this question you will also have been told the relevant formulae.
[tex]
F = \frac {GMm} {r^2}
[/tex]

For the Gravitational force.

And

[tex]
F = \frac {m v^2} {r}
[/tex]

For the centripetal force.

Hope this puts you on the right track

:smile:

Why not do the sensible thing and realize that gravity produces an acceleration field and simply say that the craft moves in freefall. Then you have a huge advantage of being certain about the velocity no matter the shape of the orbit is. If you start down this route of having write out equations and then cancel something out you are going to be a slave to it in the future. Just stretch that little bit further with your imagination and visualise the motion so that you can "see" that the mass is irrelevant. A little bit of verbal skill can construct an argument to communicate the point.

The correct use of the maths is to work out the velocity, using it to think about the nature of the situation is just lazy. And pretending that it "explains" anything is not going to help you in the long run.

1. What is meant by orbit and velocity?

Orbit refers to the curved path that an object takes around another object, such as a planet around a star. Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How are orbit and velocity related?

Orbit and velocity are directly related. An object's velocity determines the size, shape, and speed of its orbit. The higher an object's velocity, the larger its orbit will be, and vice versa.

3. How can orbit and velocity be calculated?

Orbit and velocity can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. These formulas take into account the masses and distances of the objects in orbit.

4. What factors affect an object's orbit and velocity?

The primary factors that affect an object's orbit and velocity are the mass and distance of the objects involved, as well as any external forces, such as gravity or friction.

5. How does an object's orbit and velocity change over time?

An object's orbit and velocity can change over time due to external forces, such as gravitational pull from other objects or changes in atmospheric conditions. Additionally, an object's orbit can also change due to the effects of relativity and the influence of other bodies in the universe.