Orbit which goes neer earth

In summary, the object starts at a velocity of 12,000meter/sec, from a distance of 40,000km from Earth's center. It has a resultant vector that keeps it in orbit (at equilibrium), or it signifies an escape, or it signifies a descent towards Earth. You'll need to plot its position as a function of time to plot its path.
chui
An object starts at a velocity of 12,000meter/sec,
(the direction tangent to an orbit around earth)
from a distance of 40,000km from Earth's center.

How can I calculate its track?
thnks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the object's mass necessary for this type of problem? I believe that at speeds like this, a "massless" point particle would escape Earth's gravity and travel in a path that is almost straight (but slightly curved due it its very small relativistic mass). The first thing you should do is plot the force vectors, and without mass this isn't possible.

The resultant vector will be sufficient to keep the object in orbit (at equilibrium), or it will signify an escape, or it will signify a descent towards earth. You'll need to plot its position as a function of time to plot its path. Make the center of the Earth the origin. Make the mass at (40, 0), and make the x-axis measured in kilometers. Initial vector heads in the +y direction. What's its magnitude? What's the magnitude of the force toward the origin? How does the position of the point change after 1 second, based on its acceleration towards the origin?

Do you want to *simulate* this path
(location as function of time, step-by-step)
Or do you want to describe the orbit*
(apogee radius and speed, perigee r & v)?

VPython does a nice job with the momentum vector,
step-by-step changing it according to F(r_vec)

Can you find its KE, total E, and angular momentum?

No, the object's mass is not necessary (assuming it does have mass!) since, as with all gravity problems, the m cancels in [itex]F= -\frac{GMm}{r^2}= ma[/itex].

One way to do this would be to solve the differential equations for the motion- preferably in polar coordinates but they are non-linear. A good book on oribital motion should have an example of this.

Probably better is to assume the orbit is an ellipse, write down the general equation of an ellipse (again, I would use polar coordinates) and use conservation of energy to determine the coefficients.

HallsofIvy said:
One way to do this would be to solve the differential equations for the motion- preferably in polar coordinates but they are non-linear.

ok, tell me if what I am doing here is fine becous I think it isnt:
for the R axis (Polar cordinatsr) it should be:
v^2/r - MG/r^2 = F(r)
now I can integrate this function (dr) from 40,000,000 to wherever I want the final distance from Earth to be. and get the acceleration on this axis.

for the angle Theta I can 360*v*t/2(pai)r
but then I don't what to do with the variable r.

HallsofIvy said:
Probably better is to assume the orbit is an ellipse

well, does it? (I thoght it will be some kind of an going-out Spirall)

1. What is an orbit that goes near Earth?

An orbit that goes near Earth is a path that an object, such as a satellite or spacecraft, takes around the Earth. It is also known as a low Earth orbit (LEO) and typically has an altitude of 160-2,000 kilometers above the Earth's surface.

2. How is an orbit that goes near Earth different from other orbits?

An orbit that goes near Earth is different from other orbits because it is closer to the Earth's surface, which means the object traveling in this orbit experiences more atmospheric drag and has a shorter orbital period. This type of orbit is also used for different purposes, such as communication, navigation, and scientific research.

3. What are some examples of objects that travel in an orbit that goes near Earth?

Examples of objects that travel in an orbit that goes near Earth include the International Space Station, Hubble Space Telescope, and various weather and communication satellites. Many spacecraft, such as those used for Earth observation and scientific research, also use this type of orbit.

4. How is an orbit that goes near Earth maintained?

An orbit that goes near Earth is maintained through the use of thrusters and/or other propulsion systems. These systems help to counteract the effects of atmospheric drag and keep the object in a stable orbit. Ground control teams also monitor and make adjustments to the orbit as needed.

5. What are the benefits of an orbit that goes near Earth?

There are several benefits of an orbit that goes near Earth, including easier access for spacecraft and shorter communication delays. Objects in this type of orbit also have a better view of the Earth's surface, making it ideal for remote sensing and imaging. Additionally, the low altitude allows for easier maintenance and replacement of satellites, making it a more cost-effective option for certain missions.