Approximating Ellipse Orbits with Newton's Law

In summary, To approximate the ellipse of an object's orbit using Newton's law of universal gravitation, you can use the orbital energy equation to find the semi-major axis. This can be done by knowing the object's speed, distance from the primary, and the mass of the primary. Then you can plug the values into the second equation to solve for 'a'. This can be used to draw the ellipse and simulate the orbit of the object. Other factors that can cause changes in the orbit include applying an impulse, changing the velocity or eccentricity, and using thrusters. It is also possible to solve for the orbital elements with just a single point location and velocity of the object.
Chetic
How do you approximate the ellipse of an object's orbit using Newton's law of universal gravitation?
I'm working on a 2D space game and that's pretty much the only physics I use, so no other forces to consider.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
We need more information to be able to help you.

Do you want to simulate the orbit of a body based on its position and velocity? Do you just want to plot random orbits? In which case it would be easier to base it on eccentricity and period.

Can the orbits change and what sort of events cause the orbits to change? Application of an impulse, new velocity, new eccentricity, etc.

Sorry, I didn't realize.
I'm simulating the orbit of bodies based on position and velocity vectors.
The only orbit that's really interesting is the player's. The player will want to have an idea of where he is going. All I really need is how to calculate the ellipse of a two-body system.

The player can of course use thrusters to alter his orbit but surely that can simply be recalculated after the end of the impulse?

I have access to all variables involved, and I can even simulate ahead any number of steps (though as few as possible would be preferred)

I'm going to try running the simulation 5 steps ahead, collecting positions, and solve for a conic section.

You can definitely solve for the orbital elements exactly with only a single point location and velocity. I don't have my orbital mechanics textbook with me right now, so I can't look up the formulas (and I haven't used them in a while, so I don't remember for sure), but it's definitely doable.

Okay, forget what I said.

I've managed to calculate the eccentricity vector, which now always points towards apoapsis (with the length of the eccentricity of the orbit).
How do I calculate the semi major axis? Or something else that gives me the rest of the information I need to draw the ellipse.

Chetic said:
Okay, forget what I said.

I've managed to calculate the eccentricity vector, which now always points towards apoapsis (with the length of the eccentricity of the orbit).
How do I calculate the semi major axis? Or something else that gives me the rest of the information I need to draw the ellipse.

That's pretty easy. You use orbital energy.

Given that you know the orbiting object's speed and distance from the primary, and the mass of the Primary, you can find its orbital energy by:

[tex]E = \frac{mv^2}{2}-\frac{GMm}{d}[/tex]

Where m is the mass of the object, v its speed, d its distance from the primary, M the mass of the primary and G the gravitational constant.

It also turns out the the orbital energy is equal to

[tex]E= -\frac{GMm}{2a}[/tex]

Where 'a' is the length of the semi-major axis.

So if you can solve the first equation, you can plug this into the second one and solve for 'a'

1. What is Newton's Law and how does it relate to approximating ellipse orbits?

Newton's Law is a fundamental law of physics that states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law can be used to calculate the gravitational force between two objects, and therefore can be used to approximate the orbit of one object around another, such as an ellipse orbit.

2. How accurate is using Newton's Law to approximate ellipse orbits?

Using Newton's Law to approximate ellipse orbits can be highly accurate, as it takes into account the gravitational force between the two objects and can accurately predict their motion. However, there may be some discrepancies due to other factors such as the presence of other objects or external forces.

3. What are the limitations of using Newton's Law to approximate ellipse orbits?

One limitation of using Newton's Law to approximate ellipse orbits is that it assumes the objects are point masses with no size or shape. In reality, objects have a finite size and shape, which can affect their motion. Additionally, the law does not take into account relativistic effects or other forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. Can Newton's Law be used to approximate any type of orbit?

No, Newton's Law can only be used to approximate orbits that follow a conic section, such as an ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola. It cannot be used to approximate more complex orbits, such as those with irregular shapes or multiple bodies interacting with each other.

5. How can I use Newton's Law to calculate the orbital parameters of an ellipse?

To calculate the orbital parameters of an ellipse using Newton's Law, you will need to know the masses of the two objects, the distance between them, and their initial velocity. From there, you can use the equation for the gravitational force to solve for the semi-major axis, eccentricity, and other parameters of the ellipse orbit.