Orbital Energy: Does It Exist Without Electrons?

In summary: Yes, but do we calculate energy of "an empty orbital" or of "an electron occupying the orbital"? An orbital is a solution of the Schroedinger equation with a corresponding eigenvalue of energy. So you can calculate an energy irrespective of whether the orbital is occupied or not. Sometimes this is useful, e.g. to calculate possible excitation energies, although you can argue that this involves the orbital being occupied at some point of time.
UchihaClan13
Guys
I have a doubt
When we calculate the trial function
We do it for the wave function of the orbitals
Right in order to get the total orbital energy
(Which included the energy of the electron) and that of the orbital
Well my question
Is does the orbital possess
Some energy even if the electron is not there
And would it have any essence??
Help is much appreciated! !:)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
And guys
Another doubt
How to calculate the energy of an orbital without the electron

Empty orbital doesn't have any energy - it is an electron occupying an orbital that has the energy.

I think that this is easier to understand in the case of a single electron. What you are solving for are the energy eigenstates of the Hamiltonian for the nucleus + electron system. The energy you get is the energy of the electron when it is in that state. The orbitals themselves do not have any energy or "essence".

thanks both of you
i overlooked that the energy was a eigenvalue of the wave function
and a eigenstate of the hamiltonian
Thanks again!

UchihaClan13 said:
the energy was a eigenvalue of the wave function
Wave functions don't have eigenvalues. Operators have eigenvalues and eigenstates.

sorry

Borek said:
Empty orbital doesn't have any energy - it is an electron occupying an orbital that has the energy.
Yes and no. An orbital is a solution of the Schroedinger equation with a corresponding eigenvalue of energy. So you can calculate an energy irrespective of whether the orbital is occupied or not. Sometimes this is useful, e.g. to calculate possible excitation energies, although you can argue that this involves the orbital being occupied at some point of time.

This is bordering philosophy :rolleyes:

Admittedly, but e.g. to apply the aufbau principle, you first have to calculate the energies before you can fill the orbitals.

DrDu said:
Admittedly, but e.g. to apply the aufbau principle, you first have to calculate the energies before you can fill the orbitals.

Yes, but do we calculate energy of "an empty orbital" or of "an electron occupying the orbital"? Schroedinger equation describes an electron interacting with other charges, doesn't it? At least at far as I remember the way Hamiltonians are constructed, they contain these interactions, so it seems to me the calculations are based on the assumption electron is there.

Borek said:
Yes, but do we calculate energy of "an empty orbital" or of "an electron occupying the orbital"?
I fear it is not so easy, as orbitals need not be either completely filled or empty as in QM we may also observe superpositions, or, to say it differently, an electron need not be in an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian.
For example, if you bring suddenly a proton close to a hydrogen atom, then the electron can be described as being in a 50-50 superposition of the bonding and the antibonding MO. It will start to oscillate between the two atoms with a frequency given exactly as ##\nu=\Delta E/h## where ##\Delta E## is the energy difference between the bonding and anti-bonding orbital.
It can be shown that it would lead to logical contraditions if we were to assume that the electron is "in reality" in a definite energy eigenstate, so we can't ascribe the energy to the electron. Nevertheless, we can observe the energetic splitting with high accuracy. So I would rather ascribe the energy to the orbital than to the electron.

1. What is orbital energy?

Orbital energy refers to the energy associated with the motion of an electron around the nucleus of an atom. It is a type of potential energy that is dependent on the distance of the electron from the nucleus and its speed.

2. Can an atom have orbital energy without electrons?

No, an atom cannot have orbital energy without electrons. Electrons are necessary for the existence of orbital energy because they are the particles that orbit the nucleus and contribute to the potential energy of the atom.

3. How is orbital energy related to electron configuration?

The orbital energy of an electron is directly related to its position in the electron configuration. Electrons in lower energy levels have less potential energy than those in higher energy levels. The electron configuration of an atom determines the arrangement of electrons in different energy levels.

4. Does orbital energy have any practical applications?

Yes, orbital energy has several practical applications in chemistry and physics. It is used to explain the properties of elements, predict chemical reactions, and understand the behavior of electrons in different environments. It is also important in fields such as spectroscopy and quantum mechanics.

5. How is orbital energy different from atomic energy?

Orbital energy refers specifically to the energy associated with the motion of electrons in an atom. On the other hand, atomic energy is the total energy of an atom, including the energy of the nucleus and all its electrons. Orbital energy is a type of atomic energy, but it is only a small part of the overall energy of an atom.