Order of Acceleration in Slow Motion Approx - Q&A

In summary, the order of acceleration in slow motion is dependent on the initial velocity and rate of acceleration. In slow motion, objects can appear to accelerate at a slower rate due to the decrease in frame rate, leading to a longer duration of time captured in each frame. This can also cause a change in the apparent direction of acceleration, making it appear to be in the opposite direction of its actual motion. Additionally, the order of acceleration may differ for different objects or depending on external factors such as air resistance or friction. Overall, understanding the order of acceleration in slow motion is crucial for accurately interpreting and analyzing motion in videos.
binbagsss
I'm looking at equation (41) from equation (40) on http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap7/node3.html and the second term, it says that these equations are given up to ##O(\epsilon)##.

Looking at equation (32) for ##g_{00}## I see it is proportional to ##\Phi##, and from looking at (31) I see that ##\Phi ## is of the same order as ##d^{2}x^{i}/dt^{2}## .

Looking at the 2nd term in (41) which has only been multiplied by a ##-1## from the ##g_{00}## I conclude that it is only possible to be given up to ##O(\epsilon)## if ##\Phi## , and so, ## d^{2}x^{i}/dt^{2}##, is of the order ##O(\epsilon^{2})##

By definition of the slow approximation we have ##dx^{i}/dt=O(\epsilon)##. And time derivatives are neglected compared to space derivatives.

It seems to me quite possible that ##d^{2}x^{i}/dt^{2}## being of the order ##O(\epsilon^{2})## can be justified.

However I'm not sure how to show this properly/explicitly?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump.

Frankly, I don't understand the basis for their order [itex]\epsilon[/itex] analysis.

Normally, I would think that to get Newtonian physics as an approximation to GR, we need something like this:

1. Assume that [itex]g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + O(\epsilon)[/itex]
  2. Assume that [itex]\frac{dx^j}{dt} = O(\sqrt{\epsilon})[/itex]
  3. Assume that [itex]\rho = O(\epsilon)[/itex]
  4. Assume that [itex]p/c^2 \ll \rho[/itex]
  5. Assume that [itex]\partial_t g_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is negligible compared with spatial derivatives.
As for 4&5, I'm not sure how pressure and time-derivatives of the metric should rank in powers of [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

But the big difference with what you've said is that I don't think that [itex]\Phi[/itex] should be [itex]O(\epsilon^2)[/itex]. Since [itex]g_{00} = 1 + \frac{2\Phi}{c^2}[/itex] it must be that [itex]\Phi = O(\epsilon)[/itex]

Related to Order of Acceleration in Slow Motion Approx - Q&A

What is the "Order of Acceleration in Slow Motion Approx"?

The "Order of Acceleration in Slow Motion Approx" is a scientific concept used to describe the rate at which an object changes its velocity over time when it is moving in slow motion. It is a measure of how quickly an object is accelerating or decelerating.

How is the order of acceleration calculated?

The order of acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf-vi)/(tf-ti), where a is the order of acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, tf is the final time, and ti is the initial time.

What are some factors that can affect the order of acceleration in slow motion?

The order of acceleration in slow motion can be affected by various factors such as air resistance, friction, and the mass of the object. Other factors that can influence it include the shape and size of the object, as well as the medium in which it is moving.

How does the order of acceleration differ from the acceleration in regular motion?

The order of acceleration in slow motion is different from regular acceleration because it takes into account the change in velocity over a longer period of time. In regular motion, acceleration is often calculated for short intervals of time, whereas in slow motion, it is calculated over a longer period of time.

Why is the order of acceleration important to study?

The order of acceleration is important to study because it helps us understand the behavior of objects in slow motion. It can also provide insights into the forces that are acting on the object and how they are affecting its motion. Additionally, understanding the order of acceleration can help in the design of experiments and technologies that involve slow motion movements.