1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Order of an element in a group

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    Hey guys!

I'm having some trouble trying to solve this question.. Any advice/help is appreciated!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that a and b belong to a group such that:
    |a| = 4, |b| = 2, and suppose a3b=ba
    Find the order of ab.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I am unsure of which theorems I should be looking at... but anyways...... my horrible attempt:
    so a,b are in G.
    |ab| = (ab)n = 1

Let n = order(ab), anbn = 1 --> an=b-n

I don't know if I should continue from this point because I don't know how exactly I would go about finding the order.

I think |ab| = |ba|, yes or no?
    If it does then I'm guessing I can use that to find the order of a3b?
    Any hints or suggestions on how?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(ab)^n and a^n*b^n are not the same thing. Clearly your group isn't abelian. Hint: (ab)(ab)=a(ba)b.

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3
    Hey, thanks for the reply.
    So is this a matter of manipulating a and b ?

For your hint, I'm just wondering why is it (ab)(ab)?
    I see that a(ba)b = a^4b^2, which we have as the original orders, but why (ab)^2 and not some other number n?

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just because I noticed (ab)^2 worked. You can probably figure the order can't be too high with a relation like ba=a^3*b. You could try it for other n. You know n=4 will also work. The given relation tell you how to commute a and b. I.e. how to turn a 'ba' type expression into an 'ab' type expression.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook