Order of an element in a group

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a question about finding the order of ab in a group with given values of |a|, |b|, and the relation a3b=ba. The participants discuss possible approaches, with one suggesting to manipulate a and b and another giving a hint about commuting a and b. The conversation ends with a question about why (ab)^2 is used in one of the attempts.
missavvy
Hey guys!

I'm having some trouble trying to solve this question.. Any advice/help is appreciated!

Homework Statement

Suppose that a and b belong to a group such that:
|a| = 4, |b| = 2, and suppose a3b=ba
Find the order of ab.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am unsure of which theorems I should be looking at... but anyways... my horrible attempt:
so a,b are in G.
|ab| = (ab)n = 1

Let n = order(ab), anbn = 1 --> an=b-n

I don't know if I should continue from this point because I don't know how exactly I would go about finding the order.

I think |ab| = |ba|, yes or no?
If it does then I'm guessing I can use that to find the order of a3b?
Any hints or suggestions on how?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
(ab)^n and a^n*b^n are not the same thing. Clearly your group isn't abelian. Hint: (ab)(ab)=a(ba)b.

Hey, thanks for the reply.
So is this a matter of manipulating a and b ?

For your hint, I'm just wondering why is it (ab)(ab)?
I see that a(ba)b = a^4b^2, which we have as the original orders, but why (ab)^2 and not some other number n?

missavvy said:
Hey, thanks for the reply.
So is this a matter of manipulating a and b ?

For your hint, I'm just wondering why is it (ab)(ab)?
I see that a(ba)b = a^4b^2, which we have as the original orders, but why (ab)^2 and not some other number n?

Just because I noticed (ab)^2 worked. You can probably figure the order can't be too high with a relation like ba=a^3*b. You could try it for other n. You know n=4 will also work. The given relation tell you how to commute a and b. I.e. how to turn a 'ba' type expression into an 'ab' type expression.

1. What is meant by the "order" of an element in a group?

The order of an element in a group refers to the number of times the element can be multiplied with itself to get the identity element of the group. In other words, it is the smallest positive integer 'n' such that the element raised to the power of n equals the identity element.

2. Can the order of an element in a group be greater than the number of elements in the group?

No, the order of an element in a group cannot be greater than the number of elements in the group. This is because when an element is multiplied with itself a certain number of times, it will eventually repeat and cycle through the same elements in the group.

3. How is the order of an element related to the order of a group?

The order of an element is always a factor of the order of the group. This means that the order of the element will always divide evenly into the order of the group. For example, if the order of a group is 10, the order of any element in that group can be 1, 2, 5, or 10.

4. Can two elements in a group have the same order?

Yes, it is possible for two elements in a group to have the same order. This can happen when the group is finite and the elements have a common multiple of their orders. However, in an infinite group, it is unlikely for two elements to have the same order.

5. How is the order of an element related to its cyclic subgroup?

The order of an element is equal to the order of its cyclic subgroup. This means that the subgroup generated by the element contains all the powers of that element up to its order. For example, if the order of an element is 5, its cyclic subgroup will contain the element, its square, its cube, its fourth power, and finally the element itself.