Order Statistics Homework: Show Independence, Express as Linear Function

• Thread starter cse63146
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the independence and distribution of order statistics from a random sample, and how to express linear functions of these statistics as linear combinations of independent random variables. The key to solving part b is recognizing that any linear combination of independent random variables is also an independent random variable, and using this fact to express \Sigma a_i Y_i as a linear combination of the independent variables Z1, Z2, ..., Zn.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Let Y1<Y2<...<Yn be the order statistics of a random sample of size n from the pdf [tex]f(x) = e^{-x}[/tex] x ranging from 0 to infinity.

a) Show that Z1=nY1, Z2 = (n-1)(Y2 - y1) Z3= (n-2)(Y3-Y2)... Zn = Yn - Y_(n-1) are independent and that each Z has the exp distribution.

b) Demonstrate that all linear functions of Y1, Y2,...,Yn such as [tex] \Sigma a_i Y_i[/tex] can be expressed as a linear function of independent random variables.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a, but now I'm stuck at part b.

I know that [tex]h(y_1,y_2,...,y_n) = n! e^{-y_1 - y_2 - ... - y_n}[/tex] and [tex] \Sigma a_i Y_i= a_1Y_1 + a_2Y_2 + ... + a_nY_n[/tex]

Any hints/suggestions would be apprecited. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Part b can be solved by using the fact that any linear combination of independent random variables is also an independent random variable. This means that if we can express \Sigma a_i Y_i as a linear combination of independent random variables, then it will also be an independent random variable.

To do this, we can first express \Sigma a_i Y_i in terms of Z1, Z2, ..., Zn. This can be done by using the fact that Y1 = Z1/n, Y2 = Y1 + Z2/(n-1), Y3 = Y2 + Z3/(n-2), and so on. Substituting these expressions into \Sigma a_i Y_i, we get:

\Sigma a_i Y_i = a_1(Y1) + a_2(Y1 + Z2/(n-1)) + ... + a_n(Y1 + \Sigma Z_i/(n-i+1))

= a_1(Y1) + a_2Y1 + a_2Z2/(n-1) + ... + a_nY1 + \Sigma a_i Z_i/(n-i+1)

= (a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n)Y1 + \Sigma a_i Z_i/(n-i+1)

= (a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n)(Z1/n) + \Sigma a_i Z_i/(n-i+1)

= (a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n)Z1/n + \Sigma a_i Z_i/(n-i+1)

Now, we can see that \Sigma a_i Y_i can be expressed as a linear combination of Z1, Z2, ..., Zn, with coefficients (a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n)/n and \Sigma a_i/(n-i+1). Since Z1, Z2, ..., Zn are independent, this means that \Sigma a_i Y_i is also an independent random variable.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

What is the concept of order statistics?

The concept of order statistics involves arranging a set of data in ascending or descending order and then determining the position or rank of each data point. This allows us to identify the minimum, maximum, and intermediate values in the data set.

How is independence shown in order statistics?

Independence in order statistics means that the position or rank of a data point is not affected by the position or rank of other data points. This can be shown by calculating the joint probability of two or more order statistics and comparing it to the product of their individual probabilities.

What is the linear function in order statistics?

The linear function in order statistics is used to express the relationship between the order statistic and its corresponding percentile. This is typically done by using the formula Pi = (i-0.5)/n, where Pi is the percentile, i is the order statistic, and n is the sample size.

What is the significance of expressing order statistics as a linear function?

Expressing order statistics as a linear function allows us to easily determine the percentile of a data point without having to arrange the entire data set. It also helps in understanding the distribution of the data and identifying any outliers or extreme values.

How is order statistics used in real-world applications?

Order statistics is used in various fields such as economics, finance, and engineering to analyze and interpret data. It can help in decision making, risk assessment, and predicting future outcomes based on the distribution of data.