Ordering of 'N' Distinguishable Objects

• Thread starter Hart
  • Start date
In summary, the first question asks how many different ordered sequences can N distinguishable objects be arranged in, and the answer is N!. This can be shown by considering the number of possibilities for each term in the sequence and multiplying them together. The second question asks how many ways the objects can be split into two piles, with one pile containing n objects and the other containing m objects (where n+m=N), and the answer is N(N-1). This can be shown by considering the number of possibilities for each ball that is pulled out of the bag.
Hart

Homework Statement

Suppose I have 'N' distinguishable objects.

1. In how many different ordered sequences can they be arranged? And why?

2. In how many ways can they be split up into two piles?

(ordering within the piles being unimportant)

The first pile to contain 'n' objects and the second 'm', with therefore (n + m = N).

Homework Equations

Stated within the solution attempt.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Obviously the answer is [tex]N![/tex] , but I need to show this and not just state it. I'm having trouble explaining how to prove the result. I went along the lines of:

• If I have 2 objects (n=2) then there are 2 combinations / possible arrangements (1&2 or 2&1).
  • Alternatively, there are 2 possibilities for the first term in the sequence and then only 1 possibility for the second / final term in the sequence.
  • This can be represented as (2)(1) = 2 = 2!

• If I have 3 objects (n=3) then there are 6 combinations / possible arrangements (1&2&3 or 1&3&2 or 2&1&3 or 2&3&1 or 3&1&2 or 3&2&1).
  • Alternatively, there are 3 possibilities for the first term in the sequence, then 2 possibilities in the second term, then only 1 possibility in the final term.
  • This can be represented as (3)(2)(1) = 6 = 3!

Hence generalising to N objects:

• If I have N objects (n=N) then there are multiple combinations / possible arrangements.
  • Alternatively, there are N possibilities for the first term in the sequence, then N-1 possibilities in the second term, then N-2 possibilities for the next term, then continually down until only 1 possibility in the final term, i.e.

[tex](N)(N-1)(N-2)...(N-i)...(2)(1)[/tex]

where i is a positive integer value.
  • So: [tex](N)(N-1)(N-2)...(N-i)...(2)(1) = N![/tex]

Which gives the result, but I think the proof could be much better.. I know it's not that difficult, but I'm struggling with how to show it (i.e. the notations, equations, etc) and could do with some advice/help/direction on the best way to write this all down?

2. I was advised that this follows on from knowing part 1, and that the answer was not (N-1). But I don't have an idea how to calculate this at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine having a bag with N balls, each a different color from all others. You stick your hand in the bag and pull out a ball.

Q1: How many different ways are there that you can do this?
A1: N

Now there are N-1 balls left in the bag. Just like before, if you stick your hand in the bag again there are N-1 ways you can pull out a second ball.

Q2: How many ways total are there that you can pull two balls out of the bag if you care about the order in which they are pulled out?
A2: N(N-1) because for every one ball that you pulled out first, there are N-1 balls that you can pull out next.

Do you see how it goes?

1. What is the significance of ordering 'N' distinguishable objects?

The ordering of 'N' distinguishable objects is important in many fields of science, such as statistics, genetics, and computer science. It allows us to understand how different objects or data points are related to each other and to identify patterns and relationships between them.

2. How do we determine the number of possible ways to order 'N' distinguishable objects?

The number of possible ways to order 'N' distinguishable objects can be determined using the formula N!, which represents the factorial of N. This means multiplying all the numbers from 1 to N together. For example, if there are 5 distinguishable objects, the number of possible ways to order them would be 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

3. What is the difference between ordering distinguishable objects and arranging indistinguishable objects?

Ordering distinguishable objects involves arranging objects that are distinct and can be told apart, while arranging indistinguishable objects involves arranging objects that are identical and cannot be told apart. For example, ordering different colors of marbles would be ordering distinguishable objects, while arranging a deck of cards would be arranging indistinguishable objects.

4. Can the order of distinguishable objects affect the outcome of an experiment or study?

Yes, the order of distinguishable objects can greatly affect the outcome of an experiment or study. For example, in a genetics study, the order of DNA bases can determine the traits and characteristics of an organism. In a statistical analysis, the order of data points can affect the results and conclusions drawn from the data.

5. How is the ordering of 'N' distinguishable objects related to permutations and combinations?

The ordering of 'N' distinguishable objects is closely related to permutations and combinations. Permutations refer to the number of possible arrangements of objects, while combinations refer to the number of possible subsets of objects. Both permutations and combinations take into consideration the ordering of objects, making them important concepts in understanding the ordering of 'N' distinguishable objects.