Exploring Organ Pipes: Standing Waves and Sound Intensity

In summary, the conversation is about how organ pipes work. The main focus is on the standing waves in the pipes and how they are determined by the length and whether the end is open or closed. The intensity of the frequencies is also discussed, with questions about what determines it and why we can hear the sounds. The person speaking suggests checking Wikipedia and a website about the physics of pipe organs for more information.
Gavroy
hi

could somebody explain to me how organ pipes work?

so far, i figured out that there are standing waves in an organ pipe, that are determined by the length and the question of whether there is a closed or open end.

but what determines the intensity between these possible frequences(e.g. the ratio of intensity between the 1st and 2nd harmonic, is it maybe the pressure by which the air is blown into the pipes) and why do we actually here them?as i thought they where standing waves, so how do they get out of the pipe and into our ears?

sorry about my english...

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a lot of good stuff about the physics of pipe organs here: http://www.fonema.se/

1. What are organ pipes?

Organ pipes are musical instruments that produce sound by blowing air through a narrow pipe. They are commonly used in pipe organs and can also be found in other instruments such as harmonicas and accordions.

2. How do standing waves produce sound in organ pipes?

Standing waves are produced when a sound wave reflects back and forth between two points in a confined space, such as a pipe. This creates a resonance effect, which amplifies the sound and produces a distinct pitch in the pipe.

3. What is the relationship between the length of an organ pipe and its pitch?

The length of an organ pipe directly affects its pitch. The longer the pipe, the lower the pitch will be. This is because longer pipes allow for longer standing waves, producing a lower frequency and thus a lower pitch.

4. What is sound intensity in the context of organ pipes?

Sound intensity refers to the amount of sound energy per unit area. In the context of organ pipes, it is a measure of how loud the sound produced by the pipe is. Sound intensity is affected by factors such as the size and shape of the pipe, as well as the amount of air being blown through it.

5. How does the shape of an organ pipe affect its sound?

The shape of an organ pipe can greatly impact its sound. Pipes with a wider diameter will produce a richer and fuller sound, while pipes with a narrower diameter will produce a thinner and more focused sound. The shape also affects the standing wave pattern and can alter the pitch of the pipe.