1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic chemistry help

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    hello, ok i will get straight to the point i don't get the following questions:
    Indicate the following type of reation that is taking place, and also give an example.
    a) Alkyl halide to alcohol
    b) Alkyl halide to alkene
    c) alkyl halide to alkyne
    d) alkene to an alcohol

i tried a), i got chloroethane + water ---> ethanol + hydrogen chloride
    that's all i understands...who can help me out a bit?

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah. Do you understand the mechanism of this reaction? If you do, you should have no difficulty with the other reactions.

This link may help.
    http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/alhalrx2.htm#hal4

If you're stuck somewhere, feel free to ask.

4. Nov 18, 2006 #3
    ummm i still don't get it .... i just don't think c was possible, alkyl hailde to alkyne? how ? the only one that's possible of doing this was condensation reaction, i think.

5. Nov 18, 2006 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It need not be a single step conversion. Can you think of a multi step conversion to get the alkyne?
    (Hint: Alkyl dihalides)

When you are stuck in conversions, a good idea is to work backwards (retrosynthesis). Start from the final product. How will you synthesize that? Try linking it to your initial product.

6. Nov 19, 2006 #5
    ok i get it now thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?