Organic Chemistry Molecular Model Kits: Recommendations and Reviews

In summary, the individual is struggling with their Prentice Hall org chem molecular model set and is looking for recommendations for other kits. Another person suggests checking out Indigo Instr. for replacement parts. The individual states that their main issue is with the difficulty of pushing in bonds, particularly with carbons and oxygens. They also mention that the bond pusher from Indigo Instr. is quite expensive. They have reached out to the manufacturer to try and return the set.
amb123
Hello. I am taking Organic Chemistry I and I purchased a Prentice Hall org chem molecular model set. I hate it! It is too hard to put the single bonds in the atoms. Can anyone recommend any others? Is it just my kit?

I appreciate any help or recommendations! Thanks.
-A

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't see what problem you're having with the bonds, but Indigo Instr. makes these too and you can just buy whatever part you need. I think most companies that make these modeling kits use the same specifications, so you might actually be able to just buy the necessary bonds and stick them in your existing atoms.

Give this a look : http://www.indigo.com/models/molymod-molecular-model-components.html

The problem is that I am hurting my hand with the extremely difficult to push in bonds. They seem to fit into the hydrogen molecules easier, but with the carbons and oxygens it is so difficult to get the bond all the way in that I'm hurting my hand.

I see on the website they have a bond pusher, which would be nice, except it is .60 for the item and 10$ for shipping :mad: Seems like for 50$ PH could've included this device! :devil:

ugh! Thanks. I've e-mailed trying to return the set altogether.
-A

Related to Organic Chemistry Molecular Model Kits: Recommendations and Reviews

1. What is the purpose of using an organic chemistry molecular model kit?

The purpose of using an organic chemistry molecular model kit is to create three-dimensional models of molecules, allowing for a better understanding of their structure and chemical properties. These models can also aid in visualizing molecular interactions, reactions, and mechanisms.

2. What should I look for when choosing an organic chemistry molecular model kit?

When choosing an organic chemistry molecular model kit, it is important to consider the quality of the materials, the variety of atoms and bonds included, and the number of models that can be built. It is also helpful to look for kits with clear instructions and a storage case for easy organization.

3. Are there specific brands that are recommended for organic chemistry molecular model kits?

There are many reputable brands that offer high-quality organic chemistry molecular model kits, such as Molymod, Darling Models, and Prentice Hall. It is recommended to read reviews and compare features before making a purchasing decision.

4. Can I use an organic chemistry molecular model kit for advanced studies?

Yes, an organic chemistry molecular model kit can be used for advanced studies, including research and graduate-level courses. It can be a helpful tool for visualizing complex molecules and predicting their behavior in various chemical reactions.

5. How can I make the most out of my organic chemistry molecular model kit?

To make the most out of your organic chemistry molecular model kit, it is important to familiarize yourself with the different types of bonds and angles between atoms, as well as common molecular shapes. You can also use the kit to build and compare different isomers, and to practice drawing and visualizing molecules in 3D.