Orientation of magnet relative to coil and it's effect on inductance

In summary, the optimum orientation of the magnet and coil to induce the most current is with a line drawn from one pole to the other passing through the center of the coil. Passing two magnets with opposite polarity directly after each other may result in a larger pulse compared to passing one magnet and allowing enough space for the magnetic field to dissipate before the next magnet passes. The direction of electron movement is determined by the Lorentz force, with the direction given by the right hand rule and maximizing the change in flux through the coil.
kywe665
Say I have a coil that is stationary and I have magnets that move past it in a fashion similar to the example in this video: . What is the optimum orientation of the magnet and coil to induce the most current? I know I will want to optimize the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil as the magnet passes by. I am assuming that I want to orient the magnet so that a line drawn form one pole to the other would pass through the center of the coil? Am I thinking correctly?

Also I was wondering if you were to pass 2 magnets by a coil one directly after the other, and their polarity was opposite if you could see a pulse larger than if you passed one magnet by and left sufficient space for the magnetic field to leave before the next magnet were to pass by?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and links or directions to other threads are also welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
the direction the electrons will move is given by the Lorentz force.
F=q(vxB) x=cross product and direction given by right hand rule
q=charge v=relative speed between charge and B field
B=magnetic field. You can think of the magnets as stationary and the electrons in the coil moving towards the B field. and like you said maximize the change in flux

Related to Orientation of magnet relative to coil and it's effect on inductance

1. How does the orientation of a magnet relative to a coil affect inductance?

The orientation of a magnet relative to a coil can affect inductance by changing the strength and direction of the magnetic field passing through the coil. This will cause a change in the rate at which the magnetic flux passes through the coil, resulting in a change in the induced voltage and thus affecting the inductance.

2. Does the orientation of the magnet matter in a solenoid coil?

Yes, the orientation of the magnet does matter in a solenoid coil. The strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by the magnet will determine the level of inductance in the coil. Changing the orientation of the magnet can alter the magnetic field and thus affect the inductance of the coil.

3. How can the orientation of a magnet be changed in relation to a coil?

The orientation of a magnet can be changed in relation to a coil by physically moving the magnet closer or farther away from the coil, or by rotating the magnet around the axis of the coil. The orientation of the coil can also be changed by flipping the polarity of the magnet.

4. How does changing the orientation of a magnet affect the inductance in an AC circuit?

Changing the orientation of a magnet in an AC circuit can affect the inductance by altering the rate at which the magnetic field changes. In an AC circuit, the magnetic field is constantly changing direction, and the orientation of the magnet can affect the strength and direction of this changing field, thus affecting the inductance of the coil.

5. Can changing the orientation of a magnet in a coil affect the frequency of an AC circuit?

Yes, changing the orientation of a magnet in a coil can affect the frequency of an AC circuit. This is because the inductance of the coil is directly related to the frequency of the AC current passing through it. By changing the orientation of the magnet, the inductance is altered, which in turn affects the frequency of the circuit.