Orientation of magnet relative to coil and it's effect on inductance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kywe665
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Say I have a coil that is stationary and I have magnets that move past it in a fashion similar to the example in this video: . What is the optimum orientation of the magnet and coil to induce the most current? I know I will want to optimize the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil as the magnet passes by. I am assuming that I want to orient the magnet so that a line drawn form one pole to the other would pass through the center of the coil? Am I thinking correctly?

Also I was wondering if you were to pass 2 magnets by a coil one directly after the other, and their polarity was opposite if you could see a pulse larger than if you passed one magnet by and left sufficient space for the magnetic field to leave before the next magnet were to pass by?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and links or directions to other threads are also welcome.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
the direction the electrons will move is given by the Lorentz force.
F=q(vxB) x=cross product and direction given by right hand rule
q=charge v=relative speed between charge and B field
B=magnetic field. You can think of the magnets as stationary and the electrons in the coil moving towards the B field. and like you said maximize the change in flux