Original derivation of Papapetrou equations

• Thread starter WannabeNewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary: Ah that's perfect Sam, thank you! It looks like my issue was in interpreting the notation in Papapetrou's paper. So just to clarify, ##\mathfrak{T}^{\alpha\beta}## is the tensor density ##\mathfrak{T}^{\alpha\beta} = \sqrt{-g}T^{\alpha\beta}## and not the energy-momentum tensor itself, yes? Yes, this is why you don't see a term with \Gamma^{a}_{ab} in it.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Hi all. As you may be aware, there are a handful of modern derivations of the Papapetrou equations i.e. the equations of motion for a pole-dipole particle in curved space-times. These are usually along the lines of a Hamiltonian or Lagrangian derivation (c.f. Racine et al 2009 and Anandan et al 2003) and of course one has the famous yet extremely dense series of papers on EOM and covariant multipole moments for extended bodies in curved space-times by Dixon.

However I wanted to see the original derivation by Papapetrou, as it would be more suited to my needs. There are however a few steps in the paper that I cannot follow. The paper is here: http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/209/1097/248 but I don't know how many of you will be able to access it so let me just attach an image of the single page relevant to my preliminary questions.

Equation (2.2) is itself perplexing to me. I've stared at it for hours and I can't see how he gets it so I must be missing something very simple. When he refers to the "dynamical equation" he is talking about ##\nabla_{\beta}T^{\alpha\beta} = 0## (he uses ##\mathfrak{T}^{\alpha\beta}## for ##T^{\alpha\beta}## and note the time-like component is the 4th as opposed to zeroth component in his calculations). But this is equal to ##\partial_{\beta}T^{\alpha\beta} + \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu}T^{\mu\nu} + \Gamma^{\beta}_{\beta \gamma}T^{\alpha\gamma} = 0##. He doesn't have the ##\Gamma^{\beta}_{\beta \gamma}T^{\alpha\gamma}## term and certainly it doesn't vanish in general so why does it vanish for the derivation of the single-pole and pole-dipole equations of motion?

My next concern is regarding the power series (2.6) for the connection coefficients inside the particle worldtube. The integrals (2.4) and (2.5) that (2.6) is inserted into is, according to Papapetrou, over "the three dimensional space ##t = \text{const.}##". Does this refer to an entire space-like hypersurface of space-time or just the intersection of the space-like hypersurface with the worldtube of the particle? If it is the former then I don't see how it is valid to insert (2.6) into the integrals given that the power series is only valid inside the worldtube whereas the integrals extend outside of it. If it is the latter then inserting (2.6) into the integrals would be valid but the equalities (2.4) and (2.5) themselves would not be valid for, considering for example (2.4), the equality only holds through the divergence theorem if ##T^{\alpha\beta}## has compact support on the integration domain which won't be true if the domain is the intersection of the space-like hypersurface with the particle worldtube: [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_{\Sigma} T^{\alpha 0}d^3 x = \int_{\Sigma} \partial_0 T^{\alpha 0}d^3 x = -\int \partial_i T^{\alpha i}d^3 x - \int_{\Sigma} \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu}T^{\mu\nu}d^3 x = -\int_{\partial \Sigma} T^{\alpha i}n_i d^2 x - \int_{\Sigma} \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu}T^{\mu\nu}d^3 x[/tex] and ##\int_{\Sigma} T^{\alpha i}n_i d^2 x = 0## only if ##T^{\alpha\beta}## has compact support on ##\Sigma##.

Attachments

• papapetrou 1.png
    papapetrou 1.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah that's perfect Sam, thank you! It looks like my issue was in interpreting the notation in Papapetrou's paper.

So just to clarify, ##\mathfrak{T}^{\alpha\beta}## is the tensor density ##\mathfrak{T}^{\alpha\beta} = \sqrt{-g}T^{\alpha\beta}## and not the energy-momentum tensor itself, yes?

And is the "small" 3-voulme ##V## of integration assumed to be small enough so that the series expansion for ##\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\beta\gamma}## about the central worldline ##X^{\alpha}## is valid inside the integral but large enough so that ##T^{\alpha\beta} = 0## on ##\partial V## so as to have compact support on ##V## for the divergence theorem?

I'll let you know if I have any more questions about the pole-dipole calculation in the Papapetrou paper, thanks.

WannabeNewton said:
Ah that's perfect Sam, thank you! It looks like my issue was in interpreting the notation in Papapetrou's paper.

So just to clarify, ##\mathfrak{T}^{\alpha\beta}## is the tensor density ##\mathfrak{T}^{\alpha\beta} = \sqrt{-g}T^{\alpha\beta}## and not the energy-momentum tensor itself, yes?

Yes, this is why you don't see a term with [itex]\Gamma^{a}_{ab}[/itex] in it.

And is the "small" 3-voulme ##V## of integration assumed to be small enough so that the series expansion for ##\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\beta\gamma}## about the central worldline ##X^{\alpha}## is valid inside the integral but large enough so that ##T^{\alpha\beta} = 0## on ##\partial V## so as to have compact support on ##V## for the divergence theorem?
Yes, see the paragraph after equation (3).

Good Luck

Sam

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. The original derivation of the Papapetrou equations by Papapetrou in 1951 was a significant contribution to the field of general relativity. The equations describe the motion of a pole-dipole particle in a curved space-time and have been used in various applications, including black hole dynamics and gravitational wave detection.

The derivation by Papapetrou is based on the concept of the energy-momentum tensor, which describes the distribution of energy and momentum in a given space-time. In equation (2.2), Papapetrou is using the dynamical equation for the energy-momentum tensor, which is given by ##\nabla_{\beta}T^{\alpha\beta} = 0##. This equation is a result of the conservation of energy and momentum in a given space-time. Papapetrou's approach is to consider the energy-momentum tensor for a point particle and then expand it in a power series, as shown in equation (2.6). This expansion is valid inside the worldtube of the particle, which is the region where the point particle is located.

It is important to note that the integrals in equations (2.4) and (2.5) are over a three-dimensional space at a constant time. This refers to a space-like hypersurface, which is a three-dimensional slice of the four-dimensional space-time. The worldtube of the particle is also a three-dimensional surface in the four-dimensional space-time. Therefore, the integrals are valid within the worldtube of the particle.

The use of the power series expansion in equation (2.6) is valid inside the worldtube of the particle, as mentioned earlier. This means that the terms in the power series are only valid within the worldtube and not outside of it. Therefore, it is valid to insert the power series into the integrals in equations (2.4) and (2.5) as they are only being integrated over the worldtube.

Regarding your concern about the validity of the equalities in equations (2.4) and (2.5), it is important to note that Papapetrou is considering the energy-momentum tensor for a point particle, which has compact support within the worldtube. This means that the energy-momentum tensor is non-zero only within the worldtube and is zero outside of it. Therefore, the equalities hold for the integrals

1. What are the Papapetrou equations?

The Papapetrou equations are a set of equations that describe the motion of a spinning particle in the presence of a gravitational field. They were derived by Greek physicist and mathematician George Papapetrou in 1951.

2. What is the significance of the Papapetrou equations?

The Papapetrou equations are significant because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of spinning particles in a gravitational field. They have been used in various areas of physics, including general relativity, astrophysics, and cosmology.

3. How were the Papapetrou equations derived?

The Papapetrou equations were derived using a mathematical method called the variational principle, which involves finding the path of a particle that minimizes the action (a quantity related to the particle's motion). Papapetrou used this method to derive equations for the spin of a particle in a gravitational field.

4. What are some applications of the Papapetrou equations?

The Papapetrou equations have been used in various applications, such as studying the motion of spinning particles in the vicinity of black holes, understanding the behavior of particles in the early universe, and in the study of neutron stars. They have also been used to develop new theories and models in physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Papapetrou equations?

Like any scientific theory or equation, the Papapetrou equations have some limitations. They are based on the assumption that particles have a definite spin, which may not always be the case in reality. They also do not take into account quantum effects, which may be important in certain scenarios. However, the Papapetrou equations have been extensively tested and have been found to accurately describe the behavior of spinning particles in many situations.