Orthographic projections of object drawings

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of interpreting top and front views of objects in stereometric insight and suggests studying the textbook or searching for presentations on orthographic projection. The conversation also mentions determining which view is top and which is front and provides an explanation for understanding the third view. The conversation ends with a question about the meaning of "mcq."
Tesla In Person
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hi, I have this mcq . The image shows the Top and Front view of an object, what is the side view of this object? I am finding it very difficult to even interpret the top and front views. I will get questions like these in my exam so I must be able deduce the 3rd view from 2 given views of the object.

Attachments

• projection 1.png
    projection 1.png
    5 KB · Views: 71
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Tip,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

This comes down to stereometric insight, which, for some, is a breeze, and -- for others -- is a nightmare.
One way to build experience is to study your textbook; another is to google 'orthographic projection' and view some presentations.

Have you already determined which of the two is top and which is front ?

And what is an mcq :rolleyes: ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
Hello Tip,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

This comes down to stereometric insight, which, for some, is a breeze, and -- for others -- is a nightmare.
One way to build experience is to study your textbook; another is to google 'orthographic projection' and view some presentations.

Have you already determined which of the two is top and which is front ?

##\ ##
"
Have you already determined which of the two is top and which is front ?"
I assumed that the first one was Top and bottom one was Front, in the same order as stated in the question.
Sorry i forgot to post the options, just posted the figure. Anyways, here is the question. It says in brackets "Top and front view" so i assumed the views were in the same order i.e. 1st one top and the bottom one Front.

Attachments

• Q1.PNG
    Q1.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 90
Welcome!
Just see all lines like planes that are perpendicular to the paper on which the drawing is represented.
One view only gives you two options for the direction of that plane: extending toward your eyes or away from them.
The second view tells you which option is correct.

For this specific shape, some lines are the convergence of two planes, one of which is not perpendicular to the paper.

Begin with drawing the footprint of the shape in the third view, using the dimensions from the other two views.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Multiple Choice Question. Thread moved to the schoolwork forums.

Likes BvU

1. What is an orthographic projection?

An orthographic projection is a method of representing a three-dimensional object on a two-dimensional surface. It is a type of technical drawing that shows the object from multiple views, typically front, top, and side views.

2. How is an orthographic projection different from a perspective projection?

An orthographic projection shows the object in a way that preserves its true shape and size, while a perspective projection shows the object as it appears to the human eye, with foreshortening and vanishing points. Orthographic projections are often used in technical and engineering drawings, while perspective projections are used in art and design.

3. What is the purpose of using orthographic projections in object drawings?

Orthographic projections are used to accurately represent the dimensions and features of an object in a way that is easy to understand and replicate. They are commonly used in technical fields, such as engineering, architecture, and manufacturing, to communicate design ideas and specifications.

4. How do you create an orthographic projection of an object?

To create an orthographic projection, you need to have a clear understanding of the object's dimensions and features. Start by drawing the front view, then use construction lines to draw the top and side views. Make sure all views are aligned and accurately represent the object's dimensions. You can also use computer-aided design (CAD) software to create orthographic projections.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating orthographic projections?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating orthographic projections include not aligning the views correctly, not accurately representing the dimensions of the object, and not using proper scale. It is also important to label each view and include all necessary details, such as dimensions and annotations. Additionally, make sure to use consistent line weights and styles throughout the drawing.