Engine Drawing: Orthographic views to Pictorial View

In summary, the student has difficulty sketching orthographic views into pictorial views. He is not sure how much the depth of the image should be for example, when given the opposite. He would appreciate it if someone could explain this.
umair21
We are currently working on normal surfaces in my Engineering drawing class. The book that is assigned to the students has very minimal instructions on how to understand or do the material. I have a problem sketching orthographic views into a pictorial view. I don't any problem looking at a pictorial view or 3 dimensional of an image and then drawing the orthographic views like I did in Image1 but when I am given the opposite I am totally confused about how much the depth of the Image should be for example , Image 2. I would really appreciate it if someone can explain this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 504
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
umair21 said:
We are currently working on normal surfaces in my Engineering drawing class. The book that is assigned to the students has very minimal instructions on how to understand or do the material. I have a problem sketching orthographic views into a pictorial view. I don't any problem looking at a pictorial view or 3 dimensional of an image and then drawing the orthographic views like I did in Image1 but when I am given the opposite I am totally confused about how much the depth of the Image should be for example , Image 2. I would really appreciate it if someone can explain this.
I'm not convinced you're getting the first part as well as you think you are. For example, in your top view of Figure 1, the corner defined by faces B and G is square, but isn't shown this way in your top view. Also the corner that has face C is a little longer than it should be. The space you're given to do your work in isn't as helpful as it could be, as it shows a square that is 5 X 5, but the solid's length and width dimensions are 8 X 5. You could either make a grid the right size, or scale things accordingly to keep the same relative shapes.

Actually, I just noticed that two of the grids you have to work with are 5 X 8 - you aren't putting the right elevations in them. The two grids on the right should be the front view and the top view. The 5 x 5 grid should have the left view.

Also, in your left view, you need a dotted vertical line to represent the vertical line that is part of face C. You can't see this edge from the front, which is why your drawing should have it as a dashed line.

I would make three more grids of the same sizes as the ones you have, and put the appropriate elevations in them. Pay closer attention to counting gridlines for the edges you draw.

Once you get a better handle on the first figure, doing the second one will make more sense, I think.

I agree with Mark.

The elevation you have marked "front" is 8 units wide x 5 high. Looking at the 3D view that can only correspond with the right hand face containing faces a,b,c not f,g,h.

There are other obvious errors, for example compare face h and g on the 3D view. The width of face h is 3 units and the width of g is 2 units. However on the "front" elevation you have shown both to be 4 units wide.

Have another go.

What is an orthographic view in engine drawing?

An orthographic view is a technique used in technical drawing to represent a 3D object on a 2D surface. It shows the object from multiple angles, usually including front, top, and side views.

What is a pictorial view in engine drawing?

A pictorial view is a 3D representation of an object, showing all three dimensions (length, width, and height) in a single view. It is often used in engineering and technical drawing to give a more realistic and easily understandable view of an object.

What are the benefits of using orthographic views in engine drawing?

Orthographic views allow for precise and accurate representation of an object's dimensions and proportions. They also provide a clear and concise way to communicate technical information to others.

How do you convert orthographic views to a pictorial view in engine drawing?

To convert orthographic views to a pictorial view, you need to use projection techniques. This involves projecting the 2D views onto a 3D plane, creating a more realistic representation of the object.

What are the common types of projections used in engine drawing?

The two most common types of projections used in engine drawing are isometric and perspective projections. Isometric projections maintain equal scale measurements on all three axes, while perspective projections show objects as they appear in real life, with foreshortening and depth.