1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillating Mass on a Frictionless Surface, finding maximum speed and acceleration

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass of 1.11 kg on a spring rests on a frictionless surface and has a horizontal force of magnitude 1.23 N applied to it to keep it 1.3 m from the equilibrium. The mass undergoes simple harmonic motion when released.

What is the maximum speed? What is the maximum magnitude of acceleration? What is the magnitude of acceleration of the mass when it's displacement is one fifth of the maximum value?

The attempt at a solution

From previous questions in the series,
    k = 0.946
    f = 0.147
    ω = (2)(pi)(0.147)

My issue is that I don't know how to go about solving for maximum speed or maximum magnitude of acceleration.

Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    Re: Oscillating Mass on a Frictionless Surface, finding maximum speed and acceleratio

If you check your SHM equations you should find that max speed is when displacement = 0
    and max acceleration is when displacement is a maximum (ie at the amplitude)
    Max speed = ωA and max acceleration = Aω^2
    Hope this gets you into it

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    Re: Oscillating Mass on a Frictionless Surface, finding maximum speed and acceleratio

I was missing those equations in my notes. I've got the answers now. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook