Oscillator Problem: Find Phase Constant

• Thread starter lostinphysics44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillator
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the phase constant of an air-track glider attached to a spring that oscillates with a period of 1.50 s. The equations used are x = Acos(wt+phi) and v = -awsin(wt+phi). There is confusion about which value to use for the distance and velocity equations, as well as the signs and units for the answers. After multiple attempts, the correct answers are determined to be phi = 1.0465 and A = -8.98966, with the possibility of A being positive depending on the given constraints.
lostinphysics44

Homework Statement

An air-track glider attached to a spring oscillates with a period of 1.50 s. At t=0s the glider is 4.50 cm left of the equilibrium position and moving to the right at 32.6 cm/s.find the phase constant.

Homework Equations

w=2pi/t=2pi/1.5=4.189
x=Acos(wt+phi)
v=-awsin(wt+phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried a systems of equations approach with time equals 0, so the w part drops out, and i keep getting the wrong answer. is this the right approach?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get for a and phi?

i plugged in and got 32.9=-4.189(4.5/cos(phi))(sin(phi)) and phi=-1.049, which was incorrect

lostinphysics44 said:
i plugged in and got 32.9=-4.189(4.5/cos(phi))(sin(phi)) and phi=-1.049, which was incorrect

sorry should say 32.6, but either way it is still wrong

I get 1.5535, is that correct?

i dun have any 4.5 in my equation though

Your answer seems correct to me. Maybe the equation for motion is

[tex]x=A \sin \omega t[/tex]

instead. Then [tex]\Delta \phi = 0.522[/tex]. All is a matter of convention.

rootX said:
i dun have any 4.5 in my equation though

no that is wrong too, i only have 2 chances left to get this right.

I simply used this eq:
d = (a).sin(m[t] + p)
v = (a.m).cos(m[t]+p)

and didn't give consideration to the signs

Also you may consider the fact that the glider is in the right, and moving to the left, so velocity might be negative, but it depends on axis orientation.

oops, I used 450 for 4.5
so now i get phi = 0.5242

rootX said:
I simply used this eq:
d = (a).sin(m[t] + p)
v = (a.m).cos(m[t]+p)

and didn't give consideration to the signs

i used the same equations but the one i received has cosine in the distance formula and sine in the velocity since velocity is the derivative of the distance function

.52 is also incorrect

lostinphysics44 said:
sorry should say 32.6, but either way it is still wrong

You should have used -4.5 in your calculation...

Do they want the phase in degrees?

wait for someone else, I will try to find the mistake.

maybe, that's why! lol

learningphysics said:
Do they want the phase in degrees?

no radians in the range:

-pi rad < phi < pi rad

You should have used -4.5 in your calculation...

I think that's the only option left,
but why its -4.5?

yes, because d(cos t) dt = -sin t~!~! :D

mine weren't correct because that value was for sine functions.

OK... I'm getting phi = 1.0465 and A = -8.98966

Are you sure the distance is in the form of Acos(wt + phi) and not Asin(wt + phi) ?

yes, I also got that too for phi

rootX said:
yes, I also got that too for phi

Cool. :) Is the A supposed to be in cm or m... be careful about that before you plug in the answer...

learningphysics said:
OK... I'm getting phi = 1.0465 and A = -8.98966

Are you sure the distance is in the form of Acos(wt + phi) and not Asin(wt + phi) ?

yes i am sure of the formulas, and i already tried that answer for phi and it was marked as incorrect

lostinphysics44 said:
yes i am sure of the formulas, and i already tried that answer for phi and it was marked as incorrect

Did you try -1.049 or 1.046555? You wrote -1.049 in the thread earlier which is wrong...

i tried both

dont worry about it i'll figure it out tomorrow from the professor

:cry::bugeye:
...:shy:...

please post the correct solution tomm
thnx.

Ok. anyway here's another answer I get:

pi = -2.095
A = 8.98999

you might have already tried it.

Last edited:
did they also say A > 0?

FAQ: Oscillator Problem: Find Phase Constant

1. What is an oscillator problem?

An oscillator problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the phase constant of an oscillating system. This constant represents the initial displacement or velocity of the system at a specific time and is essential in determining the behavior and stability of the system.

2. How is the phase constant calculated?

The phase constant is typically calculated by using the initial conditions of the oscillating system and applying them to the general solution of the equation of motion. This can involve solving for the initial displacement, velocity, or both, depending on the specific problem.

3. What is the importance of finding the phase constant?

Finding the phase constant is crucial in understanding the behavior and stability of an oscillating system. It can help predict the future motion of the system and determine whether it will continue to oscillate, dampen, or grow in amplitude. Additionally, the phase constant is used in many real-world applications, such as in designing electronic circuits and studying the behavior of physical systems.

4. What are some common applications of the oscillator problem?

The oscillator problem has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. Some common applications include studying the motion of pendulums, analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, and predicting market trends using oscillating models.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the oscillator problem?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of the oscillator problem. For instance, the swinging motion of a pendulum can be modeled using the oscillator problem. Additionally, electronic circuits, such as radio receivers and amplifiers, also rely on the principles of the oscillator problem to function correctly.

Back