Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
bruha said:
On image nr.0007G2 is possible to see crater with middle peak (I suppose ) on right border of siluette in dark area

yup good imaging there ... good to see the improvements you are making :smile:

Yes, I can see several craters that have central peaks Dave

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A very nice timelapse video of the total solar eclipse in Argentina on July 2 2019:

• Love
Likes OmCheeto
Hi I attach just for interest my last attempt of Jupiter and Saturn by compact SONY automat (not suficient -there is recognizable just Jupiter moons but Saturn :frown:)

Attachments

• J1-min.JPG
    J1-min.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 192
  • s1-min.JPG
    s1-min.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 187
  • J2-min.JPG
    J2-min.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 171
  • s2-min.JPG
    s2-min.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 202
Likes davenn
And rest...

Attachments

• J3-min.JPG
    J3-min.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 219
  • s3-min-1.JPG
    s3-min-1.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 187
Likes davenn
Skies cleared up for a few days, giving a moonless night and views of the Veil nebula, which just barely fits within a 400mm lens field of view:

substacks_1.tif (RGB)-2.jpg

Some crops of the various parts:

substacks_1.tif (RGB)-5.jpg

substacks_1.tif (RGB)-4.jpg

substacks_1.tif (RGB)-3.jpg

400/2.8 lens, 13-second exposures @ ISO 1250.

• Love
Likes Klystron, DennisN, Borg and 3 others
Hi, it is absolutely amazing.. (you can get place without light pollution?)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :frown:

bruha said:
Hi, it is absolutely amazing.. (you can get place without light pollution?)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :frown:
Thanks! No, light pollution is very much present- unaided, I can only see stars down to about magnitude 4.

Aha, it is similar like here in Prague (little beter in countryside) . Which parameters has your telescope...?

thank you :frown:

Andy Resnick said:
Thanks! No, light pollution is very much present- unaided, I can only see stars down to about magnitude 4.
If I had to guess I'd say you achieved this result with some artfully chosen RAW->JPG conversion settings.

metastable said:
If I had to guess I'd say you achieved this result with some artfully chosen RAW->JPG conversion settings.

There was not a single RAW -> jpg conversion, but it implicitly occurred via 300+ RAW -> stacked TIFF -> jpg.

Did you use a motorized tripod to track the object?

@Andy Resnick & were the TIFF's 8 bit per channel (24 bit)? I ask because if the TIFFs were 8 bit per channel you potentially lost a lot of sensor data in the RAW->TIFF conversion. Would you ever consider sharing one of the RAW files so I could take a look at it with my image conversion software? A lot of Camera RAW files are 14bit or 16bit per channel.

Another field of view: North American Nebula. Same lens, same settings...
NAA.tif (RGB)-1.jpg

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
metastable said:
Did you use a motorized tripod to track the object?
Yes- a Losmandy G8.

metastable said:
@Andy Resnick & were the TIFF's 8 bit per channel (24 bit)? I ask because if the TIFFs were 8 bit per channel you potentially lost a lot of sensor data in the RAW->TIFF conversion. Would you ever consider sharing one of the RAW files so I could take a look at it with my image conversion software? A lot of Camera RAW files are 14bit or 16bit per channel.

Well... I ran a thread about this a while ago (https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ss-image-stacking-and-post-processing.963947/). I'm happy to send you a RAW image to play with- PM me with details.

The 14-bit RAWs are most likely converted into a 16-bit/channel TIFF before stacking. The stacked TIFF has a 32-bits/channel format, but in reality there's about 23-bits/channel of information. The magic happens when compressing to a 16-bit/channel TIF for non-Deep Sky Stacker post processing, for example denoising. The final step is another compression to 8-bit/channel which I save as a jpg because filesize.

Thank you... can I ask yet. which method of photographing you use: Camera Body atached by bajonet to eyepiece or another ?
thanks and lot of succes :thumbup: :smile:

Likes davenn
bruha said:
Thank you... can I ask yet. which method of photographing you use: Camera Body atached by bajonet to eyepiece or another ?
thanks and lot of succes :thumbup: :smile:
It's a Nikon camera and a Nikon 400mm telephoto lens

Nikkor Manual Focus 400mm Super-Telephoto Lensescheers
Dave

I took these this morning about 2:35a Pacific Time, along I-5 somewhere between Red Bluff and Corning, California, USA. A 14-24mm Nikon Lens @ 14mm was used with 2.8f, 10sec, 2000iso, all single frame RAW captures on nikon D800 body with approximately the following Adobe Lightroom RAW->JPG conversion settings:

Temp: 4637k
Tint: +2
Exposure: -0.97
Contrast: +87
Highlights: -100
Shadows: +100
Whites: +73
Blacks: +100
Clarity: +22
Dehaze: -1
Vibrance: -61
Saturation: -40

It was a moonless sky looking towards the southwest.

galaxy.gif

location.jpg

Likes cbrtea2000, DennisN, davenn and 1 other person
Hi Dave and thank you for answer. How much cost approx. this Nikon 400mm telephoto lens?

Hi:smile:

metastable said:
Meteors images 2 and 4? Edit: oops yes you note it yourself.
Great images

bruha said:
Hi Dave and thank you for answer. How much cost approx. this Nikon 400mm telephoto lens?

Hi Bruha

not sure offhand, I'm a Canon user
Do a google search of/visit camera shops in your area :smile:

pinball1970 said:
Meteors images 2 and 4? Edit: oops yes you note it yourself.
Great images
Thank you. In #2 I was looking up at the sky during the 10sec exposure so I saw it with my own eyes... quite bright and the light was bluish in color to my eye. Earlier on I had been driving and right through the windshield I saw a bright blue streak, then the whole sky lit up and afterwards there was a reddish streak across the sky... pretty impressive but I didn’t catch that one on film. I think there’s also at least one satellite in image #5 and a very faint satellite in image #3.

edit:

metastable said:
in image #3.

AAAC87F1-3304-44B4-BF83-A2D704B5D4C3.png

metastable said:
image #5

E1DAAFF0-76FC-4C06-9DAE-7FC9AFBFFC49.png

Last edited:
bruha said:

Hi:smile:

I got mine used for about $2500 US.

Likes davenn
HI and thank you. (it is not my level :frown: :wideeyed:)

Latest panorama using my 105mm lens, of the constellation Cygnus:

center 7_31_19_1h 10m - right 9_1_18_31m-2.jpg

Each exposure was 30 s, ISO 200 @ f/2- that's about the maximum aperture I am still able to get reasonable flat correction- and each stack (there are 6) is about 1 hour total integration time. Color balancing is still uneven, but significant improvement compared to last year. Assuming you are viewing this at a comfortable distance, I could print this image 12 feet across and, at a comfortable viewing distance, you would see this level of detail at the little dark blob just to the left of the North American Nebula:

center 7_31_19_1h 10m - right 9_1_18_31m-2.jpg

Likes cbrtea2000, davenn and DennisN
Hi it is really amazing, (how you can get this star density and these collors?) .

I attach sample of movie record of clouds passing over the sun... ó I see it is not allowed attach mp4... :))

Hi,
I attach my last attempt of Jupiter with Bresser HD (web) camera
I did not manage to capture Saturn by this camera up to now.
:smile::wideeyed:

Lot of succes

Attachments

• hxdxhxhxhx.jpg
    hxdxhxhxhx.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 163
  • jhhjhjhhb.jpg
    jhhjhjhhb.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Jupiter.jpg
    Jupiter.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 168
  • jupizrt.jpg
    jupizrt.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 171
Likes cbrtea2000, DennisN and davenn
Star trails using my 15mm lens:

Monday_MAX_Stack-2.jpg

and a close-up of Polaris, located 0.736 degrees off Earth's rotation axis:

Monday_MAX_Stack-1.jpg

The diagonal line was created by a passing plane.

• Love
Likes cbrtea2000, DennisN, davenn and 1 other person
bruha said:
Hi it is really amazing, (how you can get this star density and these collors?)

Thanks, but all credit for the colorful stars goes to the image's subject :)

Likes davenn
Hi I attach my last atempt of Saturn with compact camera and 8 mm Hyperion

Attachments

• Saturn.jpg
    Saturn.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 180
Likes davenn and DennisN
Andy Resnick said:
Star trails using my 15mm lens
I haven't tried taking such a photo, but I will!

Edit: By the way, @Andy Resnick, how did you do it? Is it a composite of multiple long exposure photos, perhaps?

Likes Andy Resnick
Latest panorama of Cygnus, taken @ 105/2, each frame @ 30s and ISO 250, total expsoure time per stack is about 1.5 hours: lots of interesting open clusters and nebulae are present...

center 7_31_19_1h 10m - right 9_1_18_31m copy 4-2.jpg

Likes Stavros Kiri and DennisN