Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Stargazing Solar imaging and techniques

1. Sep 16, 2017 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi everyone

This thread is for showing your images of solar activity taken with YOUR cameras, telescopes etc.
    That is, don't post images from SDO, SOHO or any other professional sources unless you specifically want to ask "how do they do that and what are those solar features I can see?

This is intended for those of you out there, like myself that get out there and do your own imaging and are looking for ways to improve your techniques and general discussion of ideas or just to share your images.

There wont always be times when there is anything worth imaging on the sun. For me, there often can be many weeks between images. But it will be interesting to follow the Sun as it reaches solar minimum and then see the spot count rise as the next maximum approaches.

I will start of by reposting some recent images I had in other spread out threads. It will be good to have them all under one banner

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9 July 2017

AR2665 ... largest spot group for some time
    Canon 6D, 800mm, f11, 125th, ISO100 ( the 800mm is a 100-400mm L lens with a x2 teleconverter)
    With my eyesight going downhill, I have really been struggling of late to be able to get sharp manual focus 1f641-png.png

img_0914sm-jpg.jpg

Dave

Attached Files:

4. Sep 16, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

22 August 2017

there are currently 2 significant spot groups visible traversing the face of the solar disk

The centre-left string is active region 2671 and the region near the right edge ( eastern limb) is
    active region 2672. AR2672 will continue to rotate across the disk across the next 2 weeks.

800mm, f9, 200th sec, ISO200 and Orion solar filter

img_0933sm-gif.gif

Dave

5. Sep 16, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2 September 2017

A quick shot of the sun this morning
    Nth lower left, East limb lower right

400mm telephoto = x2 teleconverter, 500th sec, f11

img_0941-jpg.jpg

Dave

6. Sep 16, 2017 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4 September 2017

The large group continues across the sun
    there has been new spots appear to the east of this long string of spots plus a new set coming around the east limb

rotation is from lower right to upper left ( as seen through my camera)
    You can also see the smaller single spot up from the large spot chain has also evolved into a much more complex structure over the last 24 - 48 hrs

img_0946sm-jpg.jpg

Dave

7. Sep 16, 2017 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5 September 2017
    The Sun

rotation is from upper right to lower left ( as seen through my camera)

The upper group continues to grow in size and complexity and it is also becoming more active

img_0947sm-jpg.jpg

Dave

8. Sep 16, 2017 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6 September 2017

2 large spot groups continue to dominate the solar disk

img_0953-jpg.jpg

Dave

9. Sep 16, 2017 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16 September 2017

a single spot group is currently visible
    but I did capture some bright faculae near the limb in the upper right of the image

This is with my new solar filter film from Baader

170916 sunspots and plague.jpg

Dave

10. Sep 16, 2017 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the new filter film I am using ....

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-large-100cm-x-50cm.html

I have been concerned about the focus quality of the Orion filter which is a surface deposited film on a glass carrier
    ( similar process aluminiumising of glass for making reflector telescopes).
    My concerns are centred around having the additional layer of glass in front of the camera lens system and how it
    is affecting the quality of the light passing through it.

I purchased this larger sheet, it will be enough to make a number of filters for different camera lenses and for the telescope
    It's going to be interesting to see if there are any significant differences between the glass filter and the film filter

cheers
    Dave

11. Sep 18, 2017 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

18 September 2017

Still just a single spot group is currently visible
    plus some bright faculae near the limb in the upper right of the image

IMG_0973sm.jpg

Dave

12. Sep 18, 2017 #11
    Thanks Dave for the great photos (and the thread). With an interesting solar activity it's good to have some real first-hand photos!

Other than being kind of a 'cell phone "maniac" ' , I am not too much into photography myself, but I will be doing my observations and perhaps confirm them here occasionally with your (and other people's) photos.

From your older threads, there is also:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-little-solar-activity-this-week.829420/

(I particularly like that photo + you mention there how disappointing that solar maximum has been ... [acting weird now that we're heading towards minimum])

Here is a diagram study of the solar cycle:
    https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/solar-cycle
    (shows the Solar Cycle progression ...)

13. Sep 18, 2017 #12

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

cheers :smile:

just hope we can encourage any of our resident astrophotographers to add to the thread

D

14. Sep 18, 2017 #13
    I hope so too. May be you can post the link in the two recent threads for the eclipse (eclipse ... + eclipse photos threads). There were quite a few ambitious astrophotographers there. If we like the eclipse (hidden sun) we ought to like the full sun too ...

15. Sep 19, 2017 #14
    I took this one about a year ago. Not too much happening here but I think the image came out well.
    12419222_172710923116402_3342029625079670337_o.jpg

16. Sep 19, 2017 #15

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is this so-called 'sun' of which you speak? :)

17. Sep 19, 2017 #16

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Andy

I assume from that comment, you have been getting a lot of cloudy days :frown:

was hoping you would pop into the thread. Not sure of you do any solar imaging ? sunspots etc
    If you do, please add to thread so we can keep a good running view of the sun and its activity as time goes by

Dave

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  18. Sep 20, 2017 #17

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

good shot, thanks for sharing and I hope to see more :smile:

what solar scope/filter system are you using ?

Dave

19. Sep 20, 2017 #18

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I do intend to contribute! Good idea on the thread. I have some excess spectral filters lying around I want to try out- the set of times I am available and the set of times the sun is available has so far been disjoint.

20. Sep 20, 2017 #19
    Thanks!

The scope is a Takahashi 90mm with a Coronado Ha filter. The image was taken with an ASI120. The image was created using lucky imaging and wavelet filtering.

21. Sep 20, 2017 #20

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Dang, I wish I had the filters necessary to do some solar imaging. Perhaps one day... :cry:
    Great images by the way!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted