Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

1. Apr 28, 2015 #21
    That video was great, and your research to find it is impressive! Thank you for doing and sharing!!

2. Apr 28, 2015 #22

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

Simply a stunningly beautiful clip! And cool music too! And now I will try to find out who the composer of the music is...:biggrin: EDIT: Some say that he who seeks shall find, and so I did: AliRainiMusic (facebook), and on that page I found another beautiful clip :smile: :

EDIT 2 : And also this nice tribute to "Sky gazers":

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #23
    These videos are great!

This is one of my favorites:

4. May 6, 2015 #24

OmCheeto

Gold Member

5. May 6, 2015 #25

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

Beautiful! :kiss:

Star Size Comparison (by "morn1415")

(if the clip above for some reason doesn't play, here's another version with other audio)

6. May 6, 2015 #26

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

I also remembered this...

The Millennium Simulation (Max-Planck-Institut)
    The Millennium Run used more than 10 billion particles to trace the evolution of the matter distribution in a cubic region of the Universe over 2 billion light-years on a side. It kept busy the principal supercomputer at the Max Planck Society's Supercomputing Centre in Garching, Germany for more than a month.

More info, pictures and videos:

7. Jul 2, 2015 #27

OmCheeto

Gold Member

8. Aug 7, 2015 #28
  9. Sep 22, 2015 #29

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

10. Sep 22, 2015 #30

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

11. Sep 24, 2015 #31

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I open the ISS live stream every day. Nothing to see when it's on the dark side unfortunately but this image below will update with the current position of the ISS whenever you refresh the page.

orbitdisplay.aspx?icon=iss&width=300&height=300&satid=25544.png

Looks like PF is caching the image. Here's the direct link -
    https://www.physicsforums.com/view-source:http://www.heavens-above.com/orbitdisplay.aspx?icon=iss&width=300&height=300&satid=25544 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  12. Sep 26, 2015 #32
    52706main_hstorion_lg.jpg
    Here we see disproven the commonly held notion that shields don't work inside a nebula. Bow shock of LL Orionis plowing through the Orion Nebula, protected by its stellar wind.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  13. Sep 28, 2015 #33

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

A Flight Through the Universe, by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey

14. Sep 28, 2015 #34

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

15. Oct 11, 2015 #35

wolram

Gold Member

PIA19821_modest.jpg

Picture of our sun.

16. Oct 24, 2015 #36
    I can't get enough of this 'song'. :woot:

SYMPHONY OF SCIENCE - WAVES OF LIGHT
    Symphony of Science returns! A musical celebration of light and how it tells the story of our universe. Featuring Brian Cox.

17. Oct 29, 2015 #37

OmCheeto

Gold Member

18. Nov 8, 2015 #38
    I just recently joined this forum and this thread only would have made the act worthwhile. I am going to mark it as a favorite so that i don't lose it because i can't watch all those great videos in a single setting. thanks everyone for sharing!!! p.s. I am an action photographer but i managed to get this picture of venus and the moon right before the transit that occurred a few years back. I had forgotten that venus goes through cycles in a similar fashion as our moon.
    sincerely,
    k. doc holiday 197 sharp venus moon jpg copy.jpg

19. Nov 8, 2015 #39

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Welcome to PF :)

nice pic of the 2 ... but you really mean occultation ... neither the Moon nor Venus transit each other

An occultation is when a visually small object goes behind a larger body eg. the moon occultates planets, stars, nebula etc
    A transit is the opposite, when a visually small object goes across the face of a larger object ...
    we see transits eg. transits of Mercury and Venus across the face of the Sun. The moons of Jupiter across the face of Jupiter

cheers
    Dave

20. Nov 8, 2015 #40
    Thanks Dave, that is exactly what i meant. I must have been thinking about the transit of Venus across the sun in 2004, which is, of course, a very rare event. I love constructive criticism. please keep it coming!!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted