Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

1. May 6, 2015 #26

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

I also remembered this...

The Millennium Simulation (Max-Planck-Institut)
    The Millennium Run used more than 10 billion particles to trace the evolution of the matter distribution in a cubic region of the Universe over 2 billion light-years on a side. It kept busy the principal supercomputer at the Max Planck Society's Supercomputing Centre in Garching, Germany for more than a month.

More info, pictures and videos:

2. Jul 2, 2015 #27

OmCheeto

Gold Member

3. Aug 7, 2015 #28
    http://www.nicholasbuer.com/

My favorite place to just mentally get away, and my favorite video from there.

4. Sep 22, 2015 #29

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

5. Sep 22, 2015 #30

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

very cool video, @DennisN

6. Sep 24, 2015 #31

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I open the ISS live stream every day. Nothing to see when it's on the dark side unfortunately but this image below will update with the current position of the ISS whenever you refresh the page.

orbitdisplay.aspx?icon=iss&width=300&height=300&satid=25544.png

Looks like PF is caching the image. Here's the direct link -
    https://www.physicsforums.com/view-source:http://www.heavens-above.com/orbitdisplay.aspx?icon=iss&width=300&height=300&satid=25544 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Sep 26, 2015 #32
    52706main_hstorion_lg.jpg
    Here we see disproven the commonly held notion that shields don't work inside a nebula. Bow shock of LL Orionis plowing through the Orion Nebula, protected by its stellar wind.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  8. Sep 28, 2015 #33

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

A Flight Through the Universe, by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey

9. Sep 28, 2015 #34

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

10. Oct 11, 2015 #35

wolram

Gold Member

PIA19821_modest.jpg

Picture of our sun.

11. Oct 24, 2015 #36
    I can't get enough of this 'song'. :woot:

SYMPHONY OF SCIENCE - WAVES OF LIGHT
    Symphony of Science returns! A musical celebration of light and how it tells the story of our universe. Featuring Brian Cox.

12. Oct 29, 2015 #37

OmCheeto

Gold Member

13. Nov 8, 2015 #38
    I just recently joined this forum and this thread only would have made the act worthwhile. I am going to mark it as a favorite so that i don't lose it because i can't watch all those great videos in a single setting. thanks everyone for sharing!!! p.s. I am an action photographer but i managed to get this picture of venus and the moon right before the transit that occurred a few years back. I had forgotten that venus goes through cycles in a similar fashion as our moon.
    sincerely,
    k. doc holiday 197 sharp venus moon jpg copy.jpg

14. Nov 8, 2015 #39

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Welcome to PF :)

nice pic of the 2 ... but you really mean occultation ... neither the Moon nor Venus transit each other

An occultation is when a visually small object goes behind a larger body eg. the moon occultates planets, stars, nebula etc
    A transit is the opposite, when a visually small object goes across the face of a larger object ...
    we see transits eg. transits of Mercury and Venus across the face of the Sun. The moons of Jupiter across the face of Jupiter

cheers
    Dave

15. Nov 8, 2015 #40
    Thanks Dave, that is exactly what i meant. I must have been thinking about the transit of Venus across the sun in 2004, which is, of course, a very rare event. I love constructive criticism. please keep it coming!!

16. Nov 8, 2015 #41

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

all cool :smile:

for future images you post, just create a thread in the main astronomy section
    periodically you will see astro pic posts by Andy Resnick, Russ Watters and myself being the 3 main contributors
    and a couple of others on occasions :smile:
    Always looking forward to seeing more people having a go at the nite sky

17. Nov 27, 2015 #42
    I love you all so much.

18. Dec 1, 2015 #43
    Amazing video, really understand how galaxy is great

19. Feb 12, 2016 #44

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I just love watching the sun, revolve, and via new techno-eyes, evolve.

I like that they replayed the whole thing, and had someone explain things to me in slo-mo. That actually made it much better.

2:52 Hello, I'm Nicholine Phile (took me 15 minutes to find her name!: Nicki Viall), and I'm a solar physicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Observatory.....​

20. Feb 17, 2016 #45

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

A pretty cool idea how to show size comparisons...

21. Mar 8, 2016 #46

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

Three clips on gravitational waves, LIGO and the recent discovery:

22. Apr 19, 2016 #47
  23. Apr 20, 2016 #48

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

Very nice videos, @1oldman2! The third video (Aurora Borealis) was magical! :smile:

24. Apr 20, 2016 #49
    Magical is a great description, :thumbup:. I found myself caught up in any of the SDO video also, puts Hollywoods "Special effects" too shame. I was going to post some of that stuff to the new video thread but not sure how to pull it off, however this looked like the perfect thread for it. :smile: ( I love space and stuff )

25. Apr 20, 2016 #50

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

We have got quite a few clips from the ISS in this thread, so I thought I'd post a tour of the International Space Station itself (1080p):

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted