Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

1. May 9, 2016 #51

:smile:

2. May 9, 2016 #52
    Without the existence of Fourth dimension aka time the universe is useless to look at.

3. May 12, 2016 #53

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The constellation Virgo is passing by and I'm in the process of assembling a panoramic image of the dense cluster of galaxies present. I have another month or so to acquire images before it's time to move on to Hercules, but in the meantime here's a small menagerie of the more visible non-elliptical (except one) galaxies present in this region:

Montage_zps4nljtg2o.jpg

Integration times vary, ranging between about 17 and 50 minutes. 400/2.8, ISO 1000.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  4. May 12, 2016 #54

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

nice one Andy
    The Virgo Cluster is a cool place to test out a scope and eyesight seeing how many faint fuzzies can be picked out :smile:

Dave

5. May 13, 2016 #55

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

This was a great shot! It made me a little curious, so I went through some of your photobucket.

Now, I have to ask you a weird question... What was that off-white, powdery substance cut out into four lines with the Santa Claus figure behind it? Fuel for your many passions and talents? :smile:
    _
    A newer one I found:

But, this next is my very most favorite at the moment. The amount of work and computational power that went into this 11 sec(or so I can find) simulation is incredible. I do enjoy other videos and many are quite creative and artistic, but I prefer ones that are published by researchers or where I can at least find some credibility for the video. They also found that the reionization era ended later than we predicted earlier from observations and need to make adjustments.
    "Such a multi-faceted simulation needed not only a powerful supercomputer, but also one that had plenty of GPUs so the team could offload its radiation and ionization calculations. Thankfully, the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility’s (OLCF’s) Cray XK7 Titan supercomputer fit the description. The OLCF, a DOE Office of Science User Facility located at ORNL, built Titan with a GPU for every one of its 18,688 compute nodes. The Shapiro team needed 8,192 GPUs to run its simulations."

6. May 13, 2016 #56

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

-Entropy increases in the atmosphere the closer that it gets to the surface of the earth.

NASA has a model for the ocean currents in one of those videos posted- incredible to watch it move relative to the land masses. You know though, it sure would be nice to see what the core of the earth really looks like. Then all 3(or more layers) could be placed into one model zooming from the core out to the upper atmosphere and back again.

7. May 13, 2016 #57

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Heh... it was flour. I was wondering why nobody asked! :)

8. May 13, 2016 #58

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I relooked yesterday .... still haven't seen it LOL

9. May 16, 2016 #59

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

10. May 16, 2016 #60
    :thumbup::partytime: Awesome, thought I'd share a few screenshots.
    west coast.PNG California

queensland.PNG Queensland

sunset  west africa.PNG West Africa

flathead.PNG Flathead lake

11. May 18, 2016 #61

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

A new clip from Babak Tafreshi with music by Ali Raini:

12. May 18, 2016 #62
    :thumbup::smile: That is "MagicalMedia" I loved it. Thanks for the post!

13. May 18, 2016 #63
  14. May 19, 2016 #64

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

15. May 20, 2016 #65

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hercules is now coming into view- got this one last night- the whole field of view and a 100% crop (800/5.6, ISO 1250):

13m_zpsgmrfcgbq.jpg

13m.tif%20RGB-2_zpslwmidgtu.jpg

My technique is finally good enough that I needed to program periodic error correction (PEC) on the motors; my first attempt wasn't great but I could still nearly double the exposure time (5 s to 8 s). Presumably, as I keep refining the PEC, the performance will continue to improve.

16. May 23, 2016 #66

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Up to 28 minutes total exposure time- image quality and colorimetrics significantly improved:

28m.TIF%20RGB_zpsoexr6ysm.jpg

17. May 24, 2016 #67
    You know, when I came across this image all I could think is, this belongs on the OBU thread. So here are the Spanish peaks in Colorado, along with credit where credit is due. :wink:

Spanish peaks.PNG http://martinpughastrophotography.id.au/

Attached Files:

18. May 24, 2016 #68
  19. May 24, 2016 #69

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For the next few days, (from left to right) saturn, mars, and jupiter are all visible at night:

DSC_0215_zpsagjavvw9.jpg

And a little zoomed in (the red spot is visible):

Montage2_zpscirm27hz.jpg

Tonight, 9pm- midnight, Europa is transiting Jupiter and the shadow may be visible (midnight - 3am, EST)... fingers crossed for good viewing conditions!

20. May 24, 2016 #70

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

the image in the previous post was better, colour wise ... you have gone back to a very green hue in this one :wink: The star sharpness in this one is much better

D

21. May 24, 2016 #71
    You guys sure make me want a nice "Scope" :frown: I'm feeling motivated but I have a lot to learn.

22. May 24, 2016 #72

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

I feel exactly the same :smile:. I've been thinking about a scope for years now, but I've had other things to do, and if I get a scope I want to put it to good use. I have been very tempted by this entry level scope, which have got some pretty good reviews (e.g. it won the comparison with other scopes here: http://telescopes.toptenreviews.com/telescopes-for-beginners-review/celestron-cosmos-review.html [Broken])...
    And a clip here:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  23. May 27, 2016 #73

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I can speak from experience- people here are excellent resources for learning this stuff. Go for it!

24. May 27, 2016 #74
  25. May 28, 2016 #75
    Another investment opportunity missed. :frown:
    http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/cosmos-90gt-wifi-telescope $400.00 US
    http://telescopes.toptenreviews.com/telescopes-for-beginners-review/celestron-cosmos-review.html -Discontinued
    Amazon $670.47 US

That would be a nice starter. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted