Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

1. Nov 8, 2015 #41

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

all cool :smile:

for future images you post, just create a thread in the main astronomy section
    periodically you will see astro pic posts by Andy Resnick, Russ Watters and myself being the 3 main contributors
    and a couple of others on occasions :smile:
    Always looking forward to seeing more people having a go at the nite sky

2. Nov 27, 2015 #42
    I love you all so much.

3. Dec 1, 2015 #43
    Amazing video, really understand how galaxy is great

4. Feb 12, 2016 #44

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I just love watching the sun, revolve, and via new techno-eyes, evolve.

I like that they replayed the whole thing, and had someone explain things to me in slo-mo. That actually made it much better.

2:52 Hello, I'm Nicholine Phile (took me 15 minutes to find her name!: Nicki Viall), and I'm a solar physicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Observatory.....​

5. Feb 17, 2016 #45

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

A pretty cool idea how to show size comparisons...

6. Mar 8, 2016 #46

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

Three clips on gravitational waves, LIGO and the recent discovery:

7. Apr 19, 2016 #47
  8. Apr 20, 2016 #48

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

Very nice videos, @1oldman2! The third video (Aurora Borealis) was magical! :smile:

9. Apr 20, 2016 #49
    Magical is a great description, :thumbup:. I found myself caught up in any of the SDO video also, puts Hollywoods "Special effects" too shame. I was going to post some of that stuff to the new video thread but not sure how to pull it off, however this looked like the perfect thread for it. :smile: ( I love space and stuff )

10. Apr 20, 2016 #50

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

We have got quite a few clips from the ISS in this thread, so I thought I'd post a tour of the International Space Station itself (1080p):

11. May 9, 2016 #51
  12. May 9, 2016 #52
    Without the existence of Fourth dimension aka time the universe is useless to look at.

13. May 12, 2016 #53

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The constellation Virgo is passing by and I'm in the process of assembling a panoramic image of the dense cluster of galaxies present. I have another month or so to acquire images before it's time to move on to Hercules, but in the meantime here's a small menagerie of the more visible non-elliptical (except one) galaxies present in this region:

Montage_zps4nljtg2o.jpg

Integration times vary, ranging between about 17 and 50 minutes. 400/2.8, ISO 1000.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  14. May 12, 2016 #54

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

nice one Andy
    The Virgo Cluster is a cool place to test out a scope and eyesight seeing how many faint fuzzies can be picked out :smile:

Dave

15. May 13, 2016 #55

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

This was a great shot! It made me a little curious, so I went through some of your photobucket.

Now, I have to ask you a weird question... What was that off-white, powdery substance cut out into four lines with the Santa Claus figure behind it? Fuel for your many passions and talents? :smile:
    _
    A newer one I found:

But, this next is my very most favorite at the moment. The amount of work and computational power that went into this 11 sec(or so I can find) simulation is incredible. I do enjoy other videos and many are quite creative and artistic, but I prefer ones that are published by researchers or where I can at least find some credibility for the video. They also found that the reionization era ended later than we predicted earlier from observations and need to make adjustments.
    "Such a multi-faceted simulation needed not only a powerful supercomputer, but also one that had plenty of GPUs so the team could offload its radiation and ionization calculations. Thankfully, the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility’s (OLCF’s) Cray XK7 Titan supercomputer fit the description. The OLCF, a DOE Office of Science User Facility located at ORNL, built Titan with a GPU for every one of its 18,688 compute nodes. The Shapiro team needed 8,192 GPUs to run its simulations."

16. May 13, 2016 #56

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

-Entropy increases in the atmosphere the closer that it gets to the surface of the earth.

NASA has a model for the ocean currents in one of those videos posted- incredible to watch it move relative to the land masses. You know though, it sure would be nice to see what the core of the earth really looks like. Then all 3(or more layers) could be placed into one model zooming from the core out to the upper atmosphere and back again.

17. May 13, 2016 #57

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Heh... it was flour. I was wondering why nobody asked! :)

18. May 13, 2016 #58

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I relooked yesterday .... still haven't seen it LOL

19. May 16, 2016 #59

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

20. May 16, 2016 #60
    :thumbup::partytime: Awesome, thought I'd share a few screenshots.
    west coast.PNG California

queensland.PNG Queensland

sunset  west africa.PNG West Africa

flathead.PNG Flathead lake

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted