Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

Last night I actually got a lot of good photos, including a large 360 degree panorama with stars, where I used the city skylines, beach and other things as a "base" so the stitching program could handle it.
Here is the large 360° panorama (resized here to appropriate forum width) which is a combination of 25 photos, ISO 50, f/1.8, but I don't remember the exposure times which for some reason weren't saved in the photo info. There are stars in the picture, but they are only visible in the large photo versions (see photo links below).

Info (from left to right):

------- Turning Torso --------------------- Malmö ---------------------------- Øresund Bridge -- Copenhagen ---
46973328534_6193712ef3_c.jpg

Larger versions are here, and darker versions are here and here.
Copenhagen was definitely observed when doing this measurement, so I think I collapsed the wavefunction of the city.

I will post a short clip of Jupiter moving in my next post, when it has been uploaded to youtube.

We have very clear skies here again today, so I will probably try some more stuff tonight! :woot:.

Jupiter moving in my telescope:

:smile::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited:

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
@bruha

" filter is Baader astrosolar safety film 5.0 and I attached photo of filter,. "

the forum is playing up, it wouldn't let me quote that text

Yes, the same stuff that I use :smile:
it's good stuff but as I said earlier, you need to treat it carefully

If you did get the whole sheet .... I would suggest you just redo the filter with a new piece of film

Last edited:

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is the large 360° panorama (resized here to appropriate forum width) which is a combination of 25 photos, ISO 50, f/1.8, but I don't remember the exposure times which for some reason weren't saved in the photo info. There are stars in the picture, but they are only visible in the large photo versions (see photo links below).

love it .... really nice :smile:

HI davenn
and thank you for answer,,
my photo is filter but from outisde not attached to telescope. -it is not image of sun observing !
Anyway I covered this small middle hole with piece of tape and will see (if will be today sunny :smile::confused: ), in other case I will redo it.

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Got these over the weekend- the first deep sky objects of astrophotography season (for me): M51 and M101. 2 hours acquisition time on M51, 5 hours on M101 (both 400/2.8, ISO 1000-ish, both 1:1 crops). These images still need some noise reduction and color-correction....

c3b60b08-4bbf-495f-aff1-749ddb28f5b4-original.jpg

c12402b8-bddb-4380-adaa-1793a9636561-original.jpg

Each full frame shows a multitude of galaxies, I'm especially fixated on NGC 5474 (image is roughly in the center).

e7b65d05-5c8c-4691-9d38-3769cefbb7b4-original.jpg

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
NGC 5128 Centaurus A Galaxy
Canon 6D, 400mm EF L lens, ISO4000, f/5.6, 16 x 30 sec lights, 9 darks
Stacked n Sequator, edit in LR ( cropped)
This galaxy is well known for the large dark dust band across the middle of it

2019-01 NGC5128.jpg

Dave

Hi
I attach my first image of sun.. there is one sunspot, I attach as well second image (DSC02558) as sample of error dark artefacts whose must be due some scratching or wrinkled filter … ( I have no another explanation)..
Have nice day

Attachments

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi
I attach my first image of sun.. there is one sunspot, I attach as well second image (DSC02558) as sample of error dark artefacts whose must be due some scratching or wrinkled filter … ( I have no another explanation)..
Have nice day
other than the blobs, a good sunspot capture

OK, wrinkles/waves in the filter film wouldn't produce those artifacts.
I would put money on it being dust on the lens or on the camera sensor
Note how those artifacts are out of focus, indicating that they are closer to the camera than
what you are trying to image .... ie, the sun

Can you please use another camera ( maybe your phone) and take a foto of your imaging setup,
when it is all connected up, so that it shows camera, lens/telescope etc that you are using.

cheers
Dave

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last Friday night ( 10 May) our astronomy club had a public outreach as part of the local
botanical gardens "Stars over the Gardens" night.

It was a bit of a variable night, starting nicely as the sun set and the stars started coming out.
A cool wind was blowing that made us all dress up with multiple layers of clothes as the
temperature dropped. About 30 mins after sunset some large dark clouds rolled in and dumped
a shower of rain on us all, causing a scramble for things to cover all the telescopes.

The clouds hung around or almost an hour which, sadly, really ruined the night for the majority of the
members of the public that turned up. Most left, including a few of the club members who didn't think
it was going to get any better but a hardy few astronomers and public stayed around and were treated
to an almost cloudless sky. We were able to point out the constellations and show the small crescent of
the moon and other objects through the telescopes.

As can be seen from the photos, there were a good range of telescopes to look at and through
Schmidt/Cass, Newtonian dobo mounted, and several brands and different sized refractors.

8" S/C and 10" dobo in the foreground
IMG_9829sm.jpg

8" dobo in the foreground ( I used to have the same one) and 1 x 100mm and 1 x 120mm refractors
in the b.ground
IMG_9832sm.jpg

View from the other direction 120mm (left) and 100mm (right) refractors
IMG_9834sm.jpg

IMG_9837sm.jpg

My 100mm refractor in the foreground and a 150mm refractor behind it ( both Skywatcher brand)
IMG_9830sm.jpg

cheers
Dave

Hi Dave and thanks for advice…. yes it sounds logically I will try another camera , but for few next days is bad forecast weather Anyway do you have experience with sun imaging? I mean is better morning , daily or evening sun , and could be possible for example to capture eruption..? (Telescope Devices of your club looks very professionally :)
:smile::frown:

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi Dave and thanks for advice…. yes it sounds logically I will try another camera ,
I didn't mean try another camera doing the sun images tho that would be interesting

I said to use another camera to photo and show me the imaging setup you are using

Anyway do you have experience with sun imaging?
I have been imaging the sun for almost 50 years

I mean is better morning , daily or evening sun
always wait till the sun is a bit higher in the sky ... then you are imaging through less atmosphere
and the images will be more stable

and could be possible for example to capture eruption..?

No, you wont capture a prominence with a white light setup. You need a Ha solar telescope for that
See my other thread on that subject ... lots of images in there

Dave

We have clear skies here, and the Moon was in the first quarter, so I took a couple of shots of it with a small monocular scope (about 15 cm/6 inches in length) and my phone mounted together on a tripod:
(still hard to focus due to the mount and due to I used a phone camera)

(ISO 50, 1/50 s exposure/photo, 40 stacked images in RegiStax)
47048435664_310954f232_c.jpg

I tried the same with 1/10 s exposure/photo, but that got too bright:
47785875692_9be158ae8d_c.jpg

Here's a single image (ISO 50, 1/10 s exposure) which turned out better, probably because a part of the field of view was covered due to bad alignment between the camera and scope:

47838032931_3e6aa2240c.jpg

I also tried filming and stacking, but the results were not as good, but I will continue to experiment with this.

And here's the "miniscope", which I like because it actually provides quite good views of the Moon for the eyes:
47837997751_71a823246a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dave
I attaching images of my setup and devices. (I though you mean to make image with another camera to check if camera is problem ) Hi and thank you...

Attachments

Hi I attach some sun images from today with one spot and less error dark artefacts (I hope).
Nowadays is here real "april" weather though is may so it is not easy make sun images and night images as well ..:) :(

Have nice days

Attachments

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
img_20190513_093643-min-jpg.jpg

So, a very dirty lens 😉
That's not going to help things .... did you get ALL the marks off ?

use a cotton bud or some very soft facial tissues and some window cleaner
just dampen the tip of the bud or a damp area on the tissue ( don't make it too wet)
Gently wipe the lens
did you check other lenses .... on the scope etc ? the dirty lens you are showing ....
where was that from ?

s5-jpg.jpg

A much better looking :smile:
still a couple of patches of dust fingerprints or something but a big improvement

You just need to increase the exposure time a little bit and check your focussing
Getting the focus right can be tricky and requires a bit of patience

Dave

Hi, and thank you for advice..
I will make cleaning again and try in next days (forecast for weekend is quite good) (Anyway I have Newton, so no lenses just mirrors -I hope its clear). Concerning exp. time as I have automat. compact camera, it is problem to adjust it but I hope in improvement :):) Thanks and lot of success

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, and thank you for advice..

keep showing pic's and asking questions
Others and I will happily help :smile:

(Anyway I have Newton, so no lenses just mirrors -I hope its clear)
OK, That's right, I had forgotten which type of scope ( old age and failing memory) 🙄

so look down the tube and make sure there are no dirty patches on the main mirror
Take the eyepiece out and look through the hole and you should also be able to see
if there is any gunk on the secondary mirror

Concerning exp. time as I have automat. compact camera,
OK, can you give me the make and model and I will google it and see what it's spec's are

Dave

Hi Dave and
hank you again.. Yes My camera is: SONY DSC WX350 (there is P AUTO where apperture and shutter speed is set automatically...(maybe to try changing ISO or exp. compenzation..?). :smile::smile::wideeyed: