Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,450 replies · 334K views
Astronomy news on Phys.org
@Andy Resnick & were the TIFF's 8 bit per channel (24 bit)? I ask because if the TIFFs were 8 bit per channel you potentially lost a lot of sensor data in the RAW->TIFF conversion. Would you ever consider sharing one of the RAW files so I could take a look at it with my image conversion software? A lot of Camera RAW files are 14bit or 16bit per channel.
 
Another field of view: North American Nebula. Same lens, same settings...
NAA.tif (RGB)-1.jpg
 
Last edited:
metastable said:
@Andy Resnick & were the TIFF's 8 bit per channel (24 bit)? I ask because if the TIFFs were 8 bit per channel you potentially lost a lot of sensor data in the RAW->TIFF conversion. Would you ever consider sharing one of the RAW files so I could take a look at it with my image conversion software? A lot of Camera RAW files are 14bit or 16bit per channel.

Well... I ran a thread about this a while ago (https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ss-image-stacking-and-post-processing.963947/). I'm happy to send you a RAW image to play with- PM me with details.

The 14-bit RAWs are most likely converted into a 16-bit/channel TIFF before stacking. The stacked TIFF has a 32-bits/channel format, but in reality there's about 23-bits/channel of information. The magic happens when compressing to a 16-bit/channel TIF for non-Deep Sky Stacker post processing, for example denoising. The final step is another compression to 8-bit/channel which I save as a jpg because filesize.
 
Thank you... can I ask yet. which method of photographing you use: Camera Body atached by bajonet to eyepiece or another ?
thanks and lot of succes :thumbup: :smile:
 
I took these this morning about 2:35a Pacific Time, along I-5 somewhere between Red Bluff and Corning, California, USA. A 14-24mm Nikon Lens @ 14mm was used with 2.8f, 10sec, 2000iso, all single frame RAW captures on nikon D800 body with approximately the following Adobe Lightroom RAW->JPG conversion settings:

Temp: 4637k
Tint: +2
Exposure: -0.97
Contrast: +87
Highlights: -100
Shadows: +100
Whites: +73
Blacks: +100
Clarity: +22
Dehaze: -1
Vibrance: -61
Saturation: -40

It was a moonless sky looking towards the southwest.

galaxy.gif


location.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cbrtea2000, DennisN, davenn and 1 other person
Hi Dave and thank you for answer. How much cost approx. this Nikon 400mm telephoto lens?

Hi:smile:
 
metastable said:
Meteors images 2 and 4? Edit: oops yes you note it yourself.
Great images
 
bruha said:
Hi Dave and thank you for answer. How much cost approx. this Nikon 400mm telephoto lens?

Hi Bruha

not sure offhand, I'm a Canon user
Do a google search of/visit camera shops in your area :smile:
 
pinball1970 said:
Meteors images 2 and 4? Edit: oops yes you note it yourself.
Great images
Thank you. In #2 I was looking up at the sky during the 10sec exposure so I saw it with my own eyes... quite bright and the light was bluish in color to my eye. Earlier on I had been driving and right through the windshield I saw a bright blue streak, then the whole sky lit up and afterwards there was a reddish streak across the sky... pretty impressive but I didn’t catch that one on film. I think there’s also at least one satellite in image #5 and a very faint satellite in image #3.

edit:

metastable said:
in image #3.

AAAC87F1-3304-44B4-BF83-A2D704B5D4C3.png


metastable said:
image #5

E1DAAFF0-76FC-4C06-9DAE-7FC9AFBFFC49.png
 
Last edited:
bruha said:
Hi Dave and thank you for answer. How much cost approx. this Nikon 400mm telephoto lens?

Hi:smile:

I got mine used for about $2500 US.
 
Latest panorama using my 105mm lens, of the constellation Cygnus:

center 7_31_19_1h 10m - right 9_1_18_31m-2.jpg


Each exposure was 30 s, ISO 200 @ f/2- that's about the maximum aperture I am still able to get reasonable flat correction- and each stack (there are 6) is about 1 hour total integration time. Color balancing is still uneven, but significant improvement compared to last year. Assuming you are viewing this at a comfortable distance, I could print this image 12 feet across and, at a comfortable viewing distance, you would see this level of detail at the little dark blob just to the left of the North American Nebula:

center 7_31_19_1h 10m - right 9_1_18_31m-2.jpg



 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cbrtea2000, davenn and DennisN
Hi it is really amazing, (how you can get this star density and these collors?) .

I attach sample of movie record of clouds passing over the sun... ó I see it is not allowed attach mp4... :))
 
Hi,
I attach my last attempt of Jupiter with Bresser HD (web) camera
I did not manage to capture Saturn by this camera up to now.
:smile::wideeyed:

Lot of succes
 
Attachments
  • hxdxhxhxhx.jpg
    hxdxhxhxhx.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 249
  • jhhjhjhhb.jpg
    jhhjhjhhb.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Jupiter.jpg
    Jupiter.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 253
  • jupizrt.jpg
    jupizrt.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 256
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cbrtea2000, DennisN and davenn
Star trails using my 15mm lens:

Monday_MAX_Stack-2.jpg


and a close-up of Polaris, located 0.736 degrees off Earth's rotation axis:

Monday_MAX_Stack-1.jpg


The diagonal line was created by a passing plane.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: cbrtea2000, DennisN, davenn and 1 other person
bruha said:
Hi it is really amazing, (how you can get this star density and these collors?)

Thanks, but all credit for the colorful stars goes to the image's subject :)
 
Hi I attach my last atempt of Saturn with compact camera and 8 mm Hyperion
 
Attachments
  • Saturn.jpg
    Saturn.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 262
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and DennisN
Andy Resnick said:
Star trails using my 15mm lens
I haven't tried taking such a photo, but I will!

Edit: By the way, @Andy Resnick, how did you do it? Is it a composite of multiple long exposure photos, perhaps?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Andy Resnick
Latest panorama of Cygnus, taken @ 105/2, each frame @ 30s and ISO 250, total expsoure time per stack is about 1.5 hours: lots of interesting open clusters and nebulae are present...

center 7_31_19_1h 10m - right 9_1_18_31m copy 4-2.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri and DennisN
When I put together the above panorama, I noticed a small interestingly-shaped dust cloud (located in the upper middle section); last night I had the chance to image that cloud with my 400mm lens:

9_5_2019_43m_filterd copysmall.jpg


The density of stars is amazing. Here's a 1:1 crop:

Untitled.jpg


Total integration time was 43 minutes, ISO 500.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri, davenn and Borg
Veil nebula; 3 h total integration time @ 400/2.8, ISO 800:
veil_3 h-2.jpg


Image scaling results in a lot of artifacts... here are some 1:1 crops:

veil_3 h-1.jpg


veil_3 h-2.jpg


veil_3 h-3.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri, newbiegirl, Borg and 2 others
ISS flyover last night- here's a single frame from a video I am currently assembling. The inset is 1:1 @ 800/5.6, 1/2000 second exposure, ISO 800.

DSC_2708-2.jpg
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri, Bystander and Borg
Here's a link to the 'movie'; 1:1.8 enlargement. You may notice that I had to change the ISO a few times during the event. A few frames have both ISS and Jupiter (full frame, not these crops). Enjoy!



https://youtu.be/0cp9czFbK9c
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur, Stavros Kiri, OmCheeto and 2 others
Hello,
I attach last image of Saturn (with compact put front of eyepiece Hyperion 80 mm )
two mages corrected just by two click of magic wand and original image :smile:

have nice day
 
Attachments
  • 1SCB (1).jpg
    1SCB (1).jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 1SC.jpg
    1SC.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 1S.jpg
    1S.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Andy Resnick