Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,450 replies · 334K views
And some with green filter... :smile::smile:
 
Attachments
  • Capture_00024.jpg
    Capture_00024.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Capture_00024G.jpg
    Capture_00024G.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 149
Astronomy news on Phys.org
bruha said:
(I plan moon images too but unfortunately getting quite low horizont already after sunset...)
Yes, horizontally it was pretty low. But I couldn't resist it. :smile:
 
Hi, here is next sunspots from today -it looks as original spost gets little brother.. :smile: o_O (on first white image)
 
Attachments
  • Capture_00026G.jpg
    Capture_00026G.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Capture_00032G.jpg
    Capture_00032G.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, DennisN, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
Eagle Nebula - Pillars of Creation - 5700 light years
5 Stacked Shots x 5 minutes (25 minutes) @ 600mm focal f/9 6400iso (cropped) - RGB thru 6nm Hydrogen Alpha Filter converted to monochrome - Moonlit Bortle 6

eagle_nebula.jpg

3772478.png

3772478-1.png

3772478-2.png

Center (RA, Dec):(274.592, -13.919)
Center (RA, hms):18h 18m 22.134s
Center (Dec, dms):-13° 55' 07.635"
Size:2.07 x 1.38 deg
Radius:1.246 deg
D6840B66-8BA8-48C9-B6CA-EABFCDE25AC5.jpeg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, davenn, chemisttree and 2 others
Hi, this is just for ... :smile: o_O Sunset from highest Andros island (Greece) point (994m).
 
Attachments
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 170
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, chemisttree and DennisN
I saw two interesting videos about black holes recently:

How To See A Black Hole
- A documentary about the Event Horizon Telescope project team which gave us the first image of a black hole. It was very fascinating to see the incredible planning that had to be done to synchronize all the telescopes all over the world, including waiting for good weather. :smile:

The Warped Side of the Universe: Kip Thorne at Cardiff University
Professor Kip Thorne is a theoretical physicist and Nobel laureate. In this talk he discusses "My Romance with the Warped Side of the Universe: from Black Holes and Wormholes to Time Travel and Gravitational Waves".
 
Hello, I send today sunspots white and green-it seems groowing comparing my last shots. :smile: o_O
 
Attachments
  • Capture_00029g.jpg
    Capture_00029g.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 151
  • Capture_00036ZG.jpg
    Capture_00036ZG.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and DennisN
Another giant photo of the Milky Way... :smile:

"Accomplished astrophotographer Bartosz Wojczyński has created a gigantic 2.2 gigapixel photo of the Milky Way that he was able to capture in just one night, which is an astounding achievement given that a similar 1.7 gigapixel photo took another photographer 12 years to complete. "

The article also contains photos of the two telescopes used dually.

Article: Massive 2.2 Gigapixel Photo of the Milky Way Was Taken in Just 4.5 Hours (PetaPixel)

A zoomable version of the photo is here.

1_milkyway-1536x1178.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chemisttree and collinsmark
berkeman said:
Amazing photos! When I saw the second photo I immediately recognized the castle since I've been there.
It's Château de Chambord which is a beautiful, majestic castle.

Regarding photographing the Milky Way I have not yet tried doing this myself due to city/region light pollution. But I have planned to take a short trip this summer or autumn to a quite nearby place (a beach by the ocean) which is classed as Bortle 2 (typical truly dark site), so hopefully I will get some nice shots then. And maybe I'll try to do a timelapse. We'll see. :smile:
 
Light Pollution Map

@davenn , @Andy Resnick , @collinsmark , @bruha, @chemisttree , @Drakkith , @Devin-M and others doing observations/astrophotography:

I don't think I've shared this link here for some reason.
It's an interactive worldwide map showing light pollution which can help to locate nearby good spots for nighttime observation/astrophotography.

Light Pollution Map: http://www.lightpollutionmap.info

Some of you may already know about the map, but I wanted to share it, since I recently used the map to locate a Bortle 3 site (quite nearby) and also a Bortle 2 site (on the small Danish island Bornholm, which is pretty close to me, and available via ferry from Sweden).

Edit: The map is scrollable, zoomable and clickable. If you click with the left mouse button on a location you get coordinates, altitude, brightness info and Bortle class.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Andy Resnick, davenn, collinsmark and 3 others
DennisN said:
I don't think I've shared this link here for some reason.
It's an interactive worldwide map showing light pollution which can help to locate nearby good spots for nighttime observation/astrophotography.

hey mate,

I have used another one for a number of years
http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#4/-18.52/-211.90

it looks very similar in it's layout, but the huge advantage is that it continuously scrolls and doesn't stop at the dateline just
east of NZ :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Keith_McClary and DennisN
Hello, it is my next sun image attempt by SV EBONY eyepiece camera with green filter..unfortunately I am not able with software (SharpCap 3.1) zoom for whole sun body...
o_O :wideeyed:
Have beautiful nights ...
 
Attachments
  • 79G.jpg
    79G.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith and DennisN
Hello, today I again noticed one sunspot..( but as I look on images now, I am not sure about different spot positions reason... o_O :smile: )
 
Attachments
  • Capture_00018G.jpg
    Capture_00018G.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Capture_00045G.jpg
    Capture_00045G.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Keith_McClary and Drakkith
Hello, this one is probably better (cor. by Affinity photo instead Gimp... :smile: o_O )
 
Attachments
  • Capture_00018 AF.jpg
    Capture_00018 AF.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and Drakkith
Hello, I attach some night images from little outside Prague by SV EBONY eyepiece camera:
Deneb, Jupiter,higher exp. Jupiter with some moons and Saturn .I was trying as well Nort America nebula near Deneb but no succes (although Deneb was quite bright and I think this Nebula with 4 ap. magnitude should be imaginable...) :frown: o_O
 
Attachments
  • Deneb.jpg
    Deneb.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Jupiter moonG.jpg
    Jupiter moonG.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Jupiter.jpg
    Jupiter.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 170
  • JupiterG.jpg
    JupiterG.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Saturn2G.jpg
    Saturn2G.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Saturn2GB.jpg
    Saturn2GB.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 166
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Drakkith and DennisN
Still one image from N.A.nebula supposed area... o_O o_O
 
Attachments
  • Capture_00004.jpg
    Capture_00004.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith and DennisN
Hello,
last days I was trying first JUp/Sat. images with new scope (Newton 1000 x 200 mm) and SV Ebony eyepiece Camera while I use: BF-blue filter SV Ebony UHC, Y, Y2-light-dark yellow filter, event. without+JUp. overexp. with moons.
Lot of succes :smile: :smile:
 
Attachments
  • Capture_00001.jpg
    Capture_00001.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 152
  • Capture_00023 Y2.jpg
    Capture_00023 Y2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Capture_00028 BF.jpg
    Capture_00028 BF.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 164
  • Capture_00011 moons.jpg
    Capture_00011 moons.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Capture_00016 bez B.jpg
    Capture_00016 bez B.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Capture_00016 bez.jpg
    Capture_00016 bez.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Capture_00050 Y.jpg
    Capture_00050 Y.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Capture_00084 BF.jpg
    Capture_00084 BF.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Capture_00084 BF2.jpg
    Capture_00084 BF2.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 168
  • Capture_00118 Y2.jpg
    Capture_00118 Y2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Andy Resnick, collinsmark, DennisN and 2 others
Flying on Mars (with sound in the second video). :smile:

First Video of NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter in Flight, Includes Takeoff and Landing (NASA JPL)
In this video captured by NASA’s Perseverance rover, the agency's Ingenuity Mars Helicopter took the first powered, controlled flight on another planet on April 19, 2021.
NASA’s Perseverance Rover Hears Ingenuity Mars Helicopter in Flight (NASA JPL)
On April 30, 2021, NASA’s Perseverance rover made history as the first spacecraft to record sounds from another spacecraft on another planet. During Ingenuity’s fourth flight, a microphone included with the SuperCam instrument aboard Perseverance captured the humming sound of the blades and the din of wind.
 
North America Nebula (NGC 7000), Pelican Nebula (IC 5067), and IC 5068 emission nebulae:
Pelican-mod-St copy.jpg


Nikon D810 + 400/2.8 lens, about 2 hrs @ ISO 64.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, DennisN, chemisttree and 4 others
Hello, it is beautiful image :) , recently I was trying as well to capture N.A. Nebulae (with SV Ebony eyepiece camera ) but with no succes. I attach my image evaluated by Astrometry.net- it resulting that I was really misplaced :confused: :confused: .-somewhere near Sadir.. ha ha o_Oo_O
 
Attachments
  • Succes.jpeg
    Succes.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 146
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Keith_McClary and Drakkith
Hello, I still attach combined (overexp with moons+standard) Jupiter image. :smile: o_O
 
Attachments
  • jupiter.jpg
    jupiter.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and DennisN
Sun… Smoke filter courtesy Dixie Fire in Northern California. iPhone 11.

3286C2EE-6D34-42B0-A995-41837CA247C0.jpeg

4DBD17AC-3B61-427B-B815-F33DE1267197.jpeg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, DennisN and Andy Resnick
24mm, f/2.8, 400iso, 117sec, full frame sensor, single shot, bortle 2, shasta county, northern california, usa

https://www.speakev.com/attachments/bb7abeb1-f8a3-4ad0-975f-2109406abff3-jpeg.147788/
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, davenn, TSny and 3 others