Our class has only completed ~50% of the Physics B Curriculum

In summary, the conversation discusses the progress of a physics class in completing their curriculum and preparing for the AP exam. Approximately 50% of the curriculum has been covered, with three major topics still remaining. The student is seeking advice on how to study for the exam and which topics to focus on. They also mention having multiple study materials and question the difficulty of different topics. It is suggested to focus on understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing equations. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of the AP Physics B exam and the possibility of earning college credit.
AznBoi
Our class has only completed ~50% of the Physics B Curriculum!

We have done everything except the following: Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Physics, Waves and Optics, and Atomic and Nuclear Physics. We are currently working on Waves and Sound and will probably only be done with optics before the AP exam. That leaves around 40% of material that we haven't covered. How much should I start studying each day for the AP exam? I have Barrons 3rd Ed. and PR 2007 for AP Physics B and my College Physics (Serway,Faughn) textbook. Should I use these books conjunctionally or should I just focus on one?

What section that I've listed above should I study first?? I've taken a practice exam and I'm skipped tons of questions (around 20) relating to thermal physics and optics and some nuclear physics. Which sections that I listed in the first paragraph are the easiet to understand? Should I just study the according to the content outline that lists the percentage of expected problems that will appear on the exam? What should I do? Thanks.

Should I worry about depth or breadth at this point? Should I simply go over the equations and basic concepts of each section with the cost of not understanding the concepts in depth or should I focus more on depth than breadth and really dig into the concepts? What should I study after waves?? Thermo and fluid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. Anyone have any advice please?

I didn't take AP Physics so I wouldn't know but I am taking an introductory physics class right now. I am not sure how hard AP Physics is but that sounds like a lot of materials. I would say optics is probably the easiest topic at least as far as math in concern. The formulas (at least in my class) are very straight forward. I don't know how much depth AP actually covers it though because some of the stuff on interference and diffraction (not sure if you guys have to know this for AP) require understanding of waves.

Thermodynamics does not require an understanding of waves. It seems pretty independent from the other topics. From my understanding AP Physics B is the one that doesn't require Calculus right? If that is the case, thermal shouldn't be too bad either.

I don't know much about atomic and nuclear physics. I am assuming that you refer to quantum. I think it sounds the hardest...but then again, I haven't learned anything on the topic yet.

Good luck.

AznBoi said:
Bump. Anyone have any advice please?
wats AP physics??

ImsoFly said:
wats AP physics??

Advanced placement physics in the US. If you get a certain score on the AP exam, you are credit with the equivalent course as college credit.

Thanks for the replies, anyone else please?

That's really hard to say. As far as I remember it, AP Physics B is a more or less a "you know or you don't know" exam. Not too much emphasis on calculations.

Assuming that both the books you have are comprehensive and cover all the material present in the exam, the only reason to you more than one book is that you feel that the explanation in one book is inadequate.

The amount of time that you need for preparation will depend on your own aptitude in the science. Your teacher will probably know this best. Given that thermal physics, optics, and nuclear physics are all equally difficult for you, you should focus on thermal and optics which account for 15% of the examination each. Nuclear and atomic physics only accounts for 10% of the exam.

1. What does it mean when you say "our class has only completed ~50% of the Physics B Curriculum"?

This means that our class has covered approximately half of the topics and concepts that are included in the Physics B Curriculum.

2. What are the implications of only completing 50% of the Physics B Curriculum?

This means that our class may not have fully grasped all of the essential concepts and skills required to successfully complete the course. It also means that there is still a significant amount of material that needs to be covered before the class can move on to more advanced topics.

3. Why has our class only completed 50% of the Physics B Curriculum?

There could be a variety of reasons for this, such as a slower pace of learning, insufficient class time, or difficulty with certain topics. It is important to address any underlying issues and work towards catching up on the remaining curriculum.

4. Will our class be able to catch up and complete the remaining 50% of the Physics B Curriculum?

It is possible for our class to catch up and complete the remaining curriculum, but it will require dedication and hard work from both the teacher and the students. It may also require extra practice and resources outside of class time.

5. What can we do to make sure we cover the remaining 50% of the Physics B Curriculum?

The best way to ensure that our class covers the remaining curriculum is to stay on track with the class schedule, actively participate in class and complete all assignments and readings. It may also be helpful to seek extra help from the teacher or utilize additional resources to reinforce understanding of the material.