Our universe as an expanding sponge that is constantly falling.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Shu Sheng
Guys I know this is absurd, but it kinda makes sense to me. Recently, while i was doing housekeeping, I asked my brother to throw a piece of sponge down. He compressed the sponge and dropped it down. While the compressed sponge was falling, I saw it expanding. Seeing this, I realized that the expansion of the sponge is similar to the concept of our universe expanding. This led to me wondering, how is it possible for our earth, solar system and Galaxy to suspend in the universe? Is it because our universe is like a falling compressed sponge, which is just trying to expand to its original size? Because the universe is constantly falling, all the galaxies, solar systems and stars fall together with the universe. Also, the speed of our universe falling could be so fast, maybe falling at the speed of light, that vacuums are created in space, that led to us not realising it.The stars and galaxies could be like the particles in a piece of sponge. While the universe expands, it sucks in new material from beyond the universe and this brings in energy which kept our system moving.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I realized that the expansion of the sponge is similar to the concept of our universe expanding.
It's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a sponge expanding. The cosmological expansion is different in every important respect.

i.e. The sponge expands into a surrounding volume and is acted on by outside forces - it also expands by virtue of filling it's cavities with material from the surrounding volume. This is all stuff the Universe does not have or do. There is no existence "outside" the Universe - that is what "Universe" means.

Thus the short answer to your speculative questions is "no".
You cannot do cosmology by analogy.
 
Ok actually I'm not sure where I should put this thread but I can't find the correct section to put it under
 
Understanding expansion of the universe requires math to make it clear.
 
Simon Bridge said:
You cannot do cosmology by analogy.

Agreed.
Shu, there are about a thousand threads on this subject here in the cosmology forum. Please read a few of them and avoid personal speculation.

Thread locked.