Our universe as an expanding sponge that is constantly falling.

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of the universe expanding and the comparison to a sponge expanding. The speaker realizes that the two are not similar and that understanding the expansion of the universe requires math. It is advised to read existing threads on the subject instead of speculating.
Shu Sheng
Guys I know this is absurd, but it kinda makes sense to me. Recently, while i was doing housekeeping, I asked my brother to throw a piece of sponge down. He compressed the sponge and dropped it down. While the compressed sponge was falling, I saw it expanding. Seeing this, I realized that the expansion of the sponge is similar to the concept of our universe expanding. This led to me wondering, how is it possible for our earth, solar system and Galaxy to suspend in the universe? Is it because our universe is like a falling compressed sponge, which is just trying to expand to its original size? Because the universe is constantly falling, all the galaxies, solar systems and stars fall together with the universe. Also, the speed of our universe falling could be so fast, maybe falling at the speed of light, that vacuums are created in space, that led to us not realising it.The stars and galaxies could be like the particles in a piece of sponge. While the universe expands, it sucks in new material from beyond the universe and this brings in energy which kept our system moving.

Space news on Phys.org
I realized that the expansion of the sponge is similar to the concept of our universe expanding.
It's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a sponge expanding. The cosmological expansion is different in every important respect.

i.e. The sponge expands into a surrounding volume and is acted on by outside forces - it also expands by virtue of filling it's cavities with material from the surrounding volume. This is all stuff the Universe does not have or do. There is no existence "outside" the Universe - that is what "Universe" means.

Thus the short answer to your speculative questions is "no".
You cannot do cosmology by analogy.

Ok actually I'm not sure where I should put this thread but I can't find the correct section to put it under

I think this is science fantasy actually

Head of forum you can remove this if you want :)

Understanding expansion of the universe requires math to make it clear.

Simon Bridge said:
You cannot do cosmology by analogy.

Agreed.
Shu, there are about a thousand threads on this subject here in the cosmology forum. Please read a few of them and avoid personal speculation.

Thread locked.

1. What evidence do we have to support the theory of the universe as an expanding sponge?

There are multiple pieces of evidence that support this theory, including the observation of redshift in distant galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the distribution of matter in the universe. These observations suggest that the universe is expanding and that the expansion is accelerating.

2. How does the theory of an expanding sponge universe relate to the Big Bang theory?

The theory of an expanding sponge universe is closely related to the Big Bang theory. It suggests that the universe has been expanding since the Big Bang and is continuing to do so. This theory provides a possible explanation for the observed expansion and structure of the universe.

3. What does it mean for the universe to be constantly falling?

In this theory, the term "falling" refers to the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. It is not a literal falling, but rather a description of the movement of matter and space within the universe as it expands.

4. How does the theory of an expanding sponge universe relate to gravity?

Gravity is an important factor in this theory as it plays a role in the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. The distribution of matter and energy in the universe, including dark matter and dark energy, also influences the expansion and contributes to the overall structure of the universe.

5. What is the significance of understanding the universe as an expanding sponge?

Studying and understanding the universe as an expanding sponge can provide valuable insights into the origins and evolution of the universe. It can also help us understand the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of space and time. Additionally, this theory can help us make predictions about the future of the universe and our place within it.