Solve Overdamped RLC Circuit | i_R(t)

In summary: Using i_R = -i_L, we get i_R(t) = -2e^{-10.10t} + 2e^{-989.9t} mA, with i_R(0^+) = 0 and \frac{di_R}{dt}(0^+) = 0.
jesuslovesu
[SOLVED] Overdamped RLC circuit

Homework Statement

In a parallel RLC circuit determine [tex]i_R(t)[/tex].
R = 20 mohms
L = 2mH
C = 50 mF

v(0+) = 0 (capacitor)
i(0-) = 2mA (inductor)My question is what is [tex]i_R(0^+)[/tex]? According to my final answer, it should be 0. However, went I graph it with PSPICE, it looks like it starts out somewhere at -186mA. I know that i_R can change instantaneously but the graph that pspice makes, makes it look like it will never be 0. I was under the impression that if the voltage of the capacitor is 0 then iR(t) will be 0 regardless of the current in the inductor. Is this correct?

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha = 500 Hz[/tex]
[tex]\omega_0 = 100 Hz[/tex]
[tex]i_R(t) = Ae^{-10.10t} + Be^{-989.9t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using these two equations
A + B = 0
[tex]i_c(0+) + i_L(0+) + i_R(0+) = 0[/tex]
[tex]RC di_R/dt = -2 mA[/tex]
[tex]i_R(t) = -2e^{-10.10t} + 2e^{-989.9t} mA[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jesuslovesu said:

Homework Statement

In a parallel RLC circuit determine [tex]i_R(t)[/tex].
R = 20 mohms
L = 2mH
C = 50 mF

v(0+) = 0 (capacitor)
i(0-) = 2mA (inductor)My question is what is [tex]i_R(0^+)[/tex]? According to my final answer, it should be 0. However, went I graph it with PSPICE, it looks like it starts out somewhere at -186mA. I know that i_R can change instantaneously but the graph that pspice makes, makes it look like it will never be 0. I was under the impression that if the voltage of the capacitor is 0 then iR(t) will be 0 regardless of the current in the inductor. Is this correct?
Yes, you are correct. Since [tex]V_R(0^+) = V_C(0^+) = 0[/tex], [tex]i_R(0^+)[/tex] should also be zero.

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha = 500 Hz[/tex]
[tex]\omega_0 = 100 Hz[/tex]
[tex]i_R(t) = Ae^{-10.10t} + Be^{-989.9t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using these two equations
A + B = 0
[tex]i_c(0+) + i_L(0+) + i_R(0+) = 0[/tex]
[tex]RC di_R/dt = -2 mA[/tex]
[tex]i_R(t) = -2e^{-10.10t} + 2e^{-989.9t} mA[/tex]
You should write your differential equation using [tex]i_L[/tex] as the independent variable.
You get [tex]i_L(t) = Ae^{-10.10t} + Be^{-989.9t}[/tex], with [tex]i_L(0) = 2mA[/tex] and [tex] \frac{di_L}{dt}(0) = 0[/tex]

First, it is important to note that the initial conditions given in the question (v(0+) = 0 and i(0-) = 2mA) are not consistent with an overdamped RLC circuit. In an overdamped circuit, the initial conditions for the capacitor (v(0+) = v(0-) = 0) and the inductor (i(0+) = i(0-) = 0) should be equal.

Assuming that the initial conditions for the capacitor and inductor are both 0, the solution for i_R(t) in an overdamped RLC circuit would be:

i_R(t) = Ae^{-10.10t} + Be^{-989.9t}

Where A and B are constants that can be determined using the initial conditions and the equations for the circuit.

Now, to address the discrepancy between your calculated solution and the graph from PSPICE, it is important to remember that PSPICE creates a numerical approximation of the solution, which may not be completely accurate. It is also possible that there could be a mistake in your calculations or equations that is causing the discrepancy. Double check your work and equations to ensure they are correct.

In addition, it is important to note that the solution for i_R(t) in an overdamped circuit will eventually approach 0, but it may take longer than a critically damped or underdamped circuit. This could explain why the graph from PSPICE appears to start at -186mA. However, it is important to remember that the solution for i_R(t) will eventually reach 0, even if it takes a longer time.

In conclusion, the solution for i_R(t) in an overdamped RLC circuit should approach 0, but it may take longer than other types of circuits. It is also important to double check your calculations and equations to ensure they are correct.

1. What is an overdamped RLC circuit?

An overdamped RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) in series. It is called "overdamped" because the damping factor (the rate at which the energy in the circuit dissipates) is higher than the critical damping factor. This causes the circuit to take longer to reach its steady state, resulting in a slower response.

2. How do you solve for i_R(t) in an overdamped RLC circuit?

To solve for i_R(t) in an overdamped RLC circuit, you can use the differential equation for the circuit: Ldi/dt + Ri + q/C = 0. By plugging in the values for L, R, and C, you can use calculus techniques to solve for i_R(t). Alternatively, you can use Kirchhoff's Laws to create a system of equations and solve for i_R(t) using matrix methods.

3. What is the purpose of solving for i_R(t) in an overdamped RLC circuit?

Solving for i_R(t) allows you to understand the behavior of the circuit and determine the current flowing through the resistor at any given time. This can be useful for analyzing the performance of the circuit and making any necessary adjustments. Additionally, knowing i_R(t) can help you calculate other important quantities such as power dissipation and voltage drop across the resistor.

4. What factors affect the behavior of an overdamped RLC circuit?

The behavior of an overdamped RLC circuit is affected by several factors, including the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, the voltage source, and the initial conditions. Changing any of these values can alter the current and voltage in the circuit, as well as the time it takes for the circuit to reach its steady state.

5. What are some real-world applications of overdamped RLC circuits?

Overdamped RLC circuits have many practical applications, such as in electronic filters, electromagnetic interference (EMI) suppression, and power supplies. They are also commonly used in audio equipment to smooth out voltage fluctuations and improve sound quality. Additionally, overdamped RLC circuits are used in electric and hybrid vehicles to regulate the flow of energy between the battery and the motor.