Oxygen to Sulphur: Paul D's Theory

• Thread starter PaulD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxygen
In summary, Paul D has a theory that the smell of sulphur following lightning strikes or extreme electrical activity in the atmosphere is due to the high voltage changing oxygen atoms into sulphur atoms or compounds. However, this is unlikely and the smell is more likely due to the combustion of sulphur or the formation of ozone and nitrogen dioxide from the main components of air. Gokul provides an alternative explanation.
PaulD
I am not sure if this question is even in the correct thread but please bear with me. I have a theory about the smell of sulphur following lightning strikes or extreme electrical activity in the atmosphere. (this has been quite well documted). Would it be possible for a very high voltage to change a small number of Oxygen atoms into Sulphur atoms or a compound of sulphur ? I confess, unfortunately am not a physicist (or anything like) just a person with a perhaps an overimaginitive brain !
looking forward to comments (destructive or otherwise :rolleyes: )
Paul D...Guernsey

Physics news on Phys.org
Fusing oxygen into sulphur has an extremely low probability. Besides, sulphur itself is odorless - it is the combustion of sulphur that produces a distinctive odor. This odor is very similar to the smells of ozone and nitrogen dioxide, both of which are far more likely to form from the main components of air.

Gokul,
Many thanks for that and the alternative explanation.
Paul D

1. What is the theory of "Oxygen to Sulphur: Paul D's Theory"?

The theory proposes that oxygen and sulphur are interconvertible elements and can transform into each other under certain conditions.

2. What evidence supports Paul D's theory?

Paul D's theory is supported by various experiments and observations, such as the fact that oxygen and sulphur have similar chemical properties and can form similar compounds.

3. How does this theory impact our understanding of chemistry?

This theory challenges the traditional understanding of elements as fixed and unchangeable, and highlights the dynamic nature of chemical reactions and transformations.

4. Are there any real-world applications of this theory?

Some potential applications include the development of new chemical processes and technologies, as well as a deeper understanding of geological processes involving oxygen and sulphur.

5. Is there any controversy surrounding this theory?

While some scientists view this theory as a groundbreaking discovery, others are skeptical and believe that more evidence is needed to fully support it.