Pairing Energy/LFSE (Inorganic)

• Thread starter Doobwa
  • Start date
In summary, when calculating the LFSE for a complex with a d^6 electronic configuration, you take into account the pairing energy only if it is high enough that it changes the number of paired electrons compared to the free ion state. For a d^9 complex, you do not take into account pairing energy at all, as all electrons will be paired in either the t2g or eg orbitals regardless of the value of P.
Doobwa

Homework Statement

Determine the LFSE for the following octahedral ions from first principles.

d) Low Spin d6
e) d9

Homework Equations

LFSE=(x0.4-y0.6)[itex]\Delta[/itex]o

The Attempt at a Solution

d) t2g6eg0
LFSE=((6)0.4-(0)0.6)[itex]\Delta[/itex]o=2.4[itex]\Delta[/itex]o

e) t2g6eg3
LFSE=((6)0.4-(3)0.6)[itex]\Delta[/itex]o=0.6[itex]\Delta[/itex]o-P

Actual solutions:
d) 2.4[itex]\Delta[/itex]o-2P
"However, since one pair of electrons would be paired in a spherical field the additional pairing energy is 2P."
e) 0.6[itex]\Delta[/itex]o
"However, since all four pairs of electrons would be paired in a spherical field there is no additional pairing energy."

I'm really confused about the treatment of pairing energy. I'd really appreciate if someone could explain when I should/should not include pairing energy. Initially I thought any electrons that moved up and paired in eg would cause the addition of pairing energy but it seems it isn't so. I don't really understand what it means by "spherical field".
"

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I realize that this question was asked a long time ago, but I figured I would answer to help out future readers.

When calculating the Ligand Field Stabilization Energy you have to take into account the stability you gain from orbitals decreasing in energy and the amount of energy it takes to put two electrons in the same orbital (pairing energy)

the LFSE gains 0.4Δo for every electron in a t2g orbital and loses 0.6Δ for every electron in an eg orbital. If you fill all orbitals (d^10) then you get no change in energy (zero stabilization). If you fill all but one electron in a eg orbital (d^9) then you gain 0.6Δo of stability (which would mean that the total energy would drop 0.6Δo)

Now, as for pairing... it takes energy to put an electron into a spatial orbital that already has an electron. This is represented by the pairing energy P. Consider a d^6 complex. In its free ion state (when there are no ligands and all d orbitals are degenerate) it has two electrons in one orbital and one electron in each of the other four. If you bind it to several ligands (while keeping the same ionization state) you end up with three t2g orbital and two eg orbitals. If P is high it is energetically favorable to put electrons into the eg orbitals before you double up in the t2g orbital. The d^6 would have only two paired electrons, which is the same amount as it had in the free ion state, so the energetic contribution of the pairing energy to the LFSE is 0.

If P is low then you double up the t2g orbitals first, which would mean that you would have three pairs of paired electrons: two pairs more than in free ion state. This destabilizes your structure, so you would have to subtract 2P from your LFSE.

1. What is pairing energy in inorganic chemistry?

Pairing energy, also known as ligand field stabilization energy (LFSE), is the energy that results from the pairing of electrons in metal complexes. It is an important concept in inorganic chemistry as it helps to explain the stability and reactivity of metal complexes.

2. How is pairing energy calculated?

Pairing energy is calculated by comparing the energy of a hypothetical complex where all electrons are paired with the actual complex where some electrons are unpaired. The difference in energy between the two is the pairing energy or LFSE.

3. What factors affect pairing energy?

The main factors that affect pairing energy are the nature of the metal ion, the type of ligands, and the geometry of the metal complex. Transition metal ions with high spin states and strong-field ligands generally have lower pairing energies.

4. How does pairing energy affect the color of metal complexes?

The amount of pairing energy in a metal complex can affect its color. Complexes with high pairing energy tend to absorb light in the UV or visible range, resulting in colorless or light-colored compounds. On the other hand, complexes with low pairing energy absorb light in the visible range and appear colored.

5. What is the relationship between pairing energy and stability of metal complexes?

In general, complexes with lower pairing energies are more stable than those with higher pairing energies. This is because pairing energy contributes to the overall energy of a metal complex, and a lower energy complex is more thermodynamically favored. However, other factors such as steric effects and ligand strength also play a role in determining the stability of a metal complex.