Paleontology Future: Major for Grad School?

• Thread starter chez_butt23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the speaker is a high school senior with a passion for paleontology and ancient life. They are currently considering their college major and were originally planning on international business and a minor in Chinese, but have since realized they have no interest in business. They hope to attend graduate school for paleontology and are unsure of what major to choose to successfully enter a graduate program. They are considering zoology or geology, but are also open to majoring in whatever they want as long as they complete the prerequisites and take the GRE. They plan to keep their minor in Chinese due to their fascination with Asian culture. The suggestion is made to consider Integrative Biology or a general Biology major.
chez_butt23
I am a senior in high school. My focus of interest has always been on paleontology and ancient life for as long as I can remember. I am currently applying to colleges and am wondering what I should choose to major in. I was originally going to major in international business and minor in Chinese, but I recently realized that I have no interest in business whatsoever.

I am planning to (hopefully) attend a graduate school of paleontology and try to earn a PhD., but I am unsure of what to major in that would allow me to successfully enter a graduate school. I am thinking about zoology or maybe geology, would either of these work? Or could I just major in whatever I wanted, take the prerequisites and the GRE and go to grad school? (I am keeping my minor in Chinese, as I am fascinated by Asian Culture as well).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your school has Integrative Biology that would be good. I guess Bio in general would would work. Hope it helps keep the Chinese!

Related to Paleontology Future: Major for Grad School?

What is paleontology and why is it important?

Paleontology is the study of ancient life through the examination of fossils. It is important because it helps us understand the history of life on Earth, including the evolution of different species and the changing environments over time.

Is a major in paleontology necessary for graduate school?

No, a major in paleontology is not necessary for graduate school. Many graduate programs in paleontology accept students from a wide range of undergraduate majors, as long as they have a strong background in biology, geology, and chemistry.

What skills and courses should I focus on in my undergraduate studies for a future in paleontology?

Some important skills and courses to focus on in undergraduate studies for a future in paleontology include biology, geology, chemistry, statistics, and computer science. It is also important to gain experience in fieldwork, lab work, and data analysis.

What are the career prospects for a paleontology graduate degree?

The career prospects for a paleontology graduate degree can vary depending on the specific field of study and level of education. Some common career paths include working in museums, universities, government agencies, and private consulting firms.

What are some current and future research topics in paleontology?

Some current and future research topics in paleontology include studying the evolution and extinction of different species, understanding how past environments have changed, and using new technologies to analyze and interpret fossil data. Other areas of interest include paleoclimatology, paleobiogeography, and paleogenomics.