1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Panel problem

1. Mar 1, 2007 #1
    I need have this problem check because I have a problem at the last question:

the probability is 0.6 that a well driller will find a well of water at a depth less than 100 feet in a certain area. Wells are to be drilled for six new homeowners. Assue that finding a well of water at a depth of less than 100 feet is independent from drilling to drilling and that the probability is 0.6 on every drilling. If X is the number of wells of water found. Find:

My solution: P(X>4)=1-B(4;6,0.6)

Here since mean =3.6, I have problem to find P(X=mean)

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

B is the binomial probability? Isn't B(4;6,0.6) the probability of exactly 4 "sucesses" out of 6? If so 1- B(4;6,0,6) is P(X= 1, 2, 3, 5, or 6). What you want is P(5;6,0.6)+ P(6;6,0.6).

?? Is "b" different from "B"? If not then what I thought above was true. This is correct, 1 is incorrect. Oh, and have you actually calculated that value?

Well, that last one is kind of trivial isn't it!
  4. Mar 2, 2007 #3
    But my calculator does not give me a approximate value for b(3.6;4,0.6) ! ( for question 5)
  5. Mar 2, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are supposed to be smarter than your calculuator! Stop and THINK. If you drill 6 wells, each well either will or won't hit water, what is the probability that exactly 3.6 of them will hit water?!!
  6. Mar 2, 2007 #5
    Each well has a probability of 0.5 to hit water. So the probability of exactly 3.6 wells each 0.5^3.6= 0.082 ??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?