Parabola Three Normals Homework: Solving for Coordinates and Equations

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, the conversation is about finding the coordinates of the feet of normals drawn from a point to a parabola, and using transformations to find the equation of the normal for a transformed parabola. The participant also requests help with a separate question.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Three normals are drawn from the point (14,7) to the curve [itex]\large y^{2} -16x-8y=0[/itex]. Find the co-ordinates of the feet of the normals.

Homework Equations

Converting the equation of parabola in the form of a perfect square I get
[itex]\large (y-4)^{2}=16(x+1)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for the parabola [itex]\large y^{2}=4ax[/itex] the equation of normal is [itex]\large y=-tx+2at+at^{3}[/itex]. But what will be the equation of normal for the parabola in this question? If I get to know the equation of normal in terms of t then I can get a cubic equation in t and by solving that equation I can obtain the coordinates of feet of normals. But I'm falling short of the equation of normal. How do I get it?

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Three normals are drawn from the point (14,7) to the curve [itex]\large y^{2} -16x-8y=0[/itex]. Find the co-ordinates of the feet of the normals.

Homework Equations

Converting the equation of parabola in the form of a perfect square I get

The Attempt at a Solution

. But what will be the equation of normal for the parabola in this question? If I get to know the equation of normal in terms of t then I can get a cubic equation in t and by solving that equation I can obtain the coordinates of feet of normals. But I'm falling short of the equation of normal. How do I get it?

Remember how if we have some parabola y=x2 and we then substitute x'-1 for x, to get y=(x'-1)2, this is now a parabola that has moved 1 unit to the right. Also, if we substitute y'-1 for y and get y'-1=(x'-1)2 this is now a parabola that now moved up 1 unit as well, so its apex is now at (1,1).

This also applies to all functions. So if we have a tangent to the parabola y=x2 as y= mx+c, then if we move the parabola across a units and up b units (a and b could be negative too so we can move then down and left) to get the parabola y-b=(x-a)2 then if we do the same transformation to y=mx+c to get y-b=m(x-a)+c this will now still be a tangent to the parabola at the same point.

So where am I going with this?

Well, you've already told me that

utkarshakash said:
I know that for the parabola [itex]\large y^{2}=4ax[/itex] the equation of normal is [itex]\large y=-tx+2at+at^{3}[/itex]

So then what is the normal for the parabola [itex]\large (y-4)^{2}=16(x+1)[/itex] now?

Yep. That worked! Thank You once again for helping me. Can you please solve my another question which I have posted in this forum titled "Locus of circumcentre". I really need some hints to get started with.

1. What is a "Parabola Three Normals"?

A "Parabola Three Normals" is a type of parabola that has three normal lines, or lines that are perpendicular to the tangent lines at the point of contact. These normal lines intersect at a single point, known as the "focus" of the parabola.

2. How is the equation for a "Parabola Three Normals" different from a regular parabola?

The equation for a "Parabola Three Normals" is different from a regular parabola in that it includes an additional parameter, known as the "normal length". This parameter represents the length of the normal lines and affects the curvature of the parabola.

3. What is the significance of the "focus" in a "Parabola Three Normals"?

The "focus" in a "Parabola Three Normals" is significant because it is the point where all three normal lines intersect. This point is also the vertex of the parabola, where the curvature is at its maximum.

4. Can a "Parabola Three Normals" have more or less than three normal lines?

No, a "Parabola Three Normals" by definition has three normal lines. If a parabola has more or less than three normal lines, it is not considered a "Parabola Three Normals".

5. In what real-world applications is the concept of "Parabola Three Normals" used?

The concept of "Parabola Three Normals" is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, design curved mirrors or lenses, and create smooth animations in video games and movies.