How Fast Must a Soccer Player Run to Catch a Ball?

• Thread starter Stochastic13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the player kicks the ball with speed v0 and angle θ0 . The teammate knows the ball won't travel far, so as soon as it is kicked, he begins running toward it. If he is to meet the ball just before it hits the ground, his average speed must be vp = (gd / 2v0 sin θ0) - v0 cos θ0 .
Stochastic13

Homework Statement

A soccer player kicks a ball to his teammate, who is
a distance d away. Even though the kick launches the
ball with speed v0 and angle θ0 , the teammate knows it
will not travel far enough to reach him before it lands.
So as soon as the ball is kicked, the teammate begins
running toward the ball. If he is to meet the ball just
before it hits the ground, show that his average speed
must be vp = (gd / 2v0 sin θ0) - v0 cos θ0
where g is the acceleration due to gravity. Neglect air
resistance.

Homework Equations

parabolic motion equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that t0 = tp and that the distance that the ball travels depends on the angle at which it is kicked. I solved for y to describe the trajectory of the ball in terms of angle theta and I know that xp = vp*t , then my plan was to solve the trajectory equation for x and use the fact that x0 + xp = d but I can't solve the trajectory equation for x since it quadratic. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Stochastic13! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Stochastic13 said:
… but I can't solve the trajectory equation for x since it quadratic.

What is your trajectory equation for x ? :smile:

Thank you, I feel really grateful that we have a forum like this and people such as yourselves to help us first year physics students. The equation that I'm trying to solve for x is:
y = (tan[tex]\theta[/tex]) x - g/(2(v0) (sin[tex]\theta[/tex])2) x2 which describes the parabolic trajectory of a particle--in this case a soccer ball.

Hi Stochastic13! :smile:

(have a theta: :wink:)

θ is known, isn't it, and y = 0?

ok, then your equation is 0 = Ax - Bx2, so x = 0 or A/B. :wink:

I'm sorry, I don't understand why y should = 0. Isn't the ball kicked in the air at angle theta? And if the equation becomes 0 = A x - B x2 doesn't x = -2A/B and not A/B? Also in the problem I have to show that the velocity of player has to equal (gd / 2v0 sin θ0) - v0 cos θ0 how can I do that if I reduce the quadratic equation to constants A and B?

P. S. Thanks for the symbols to paste.

Stochastic13 said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand why y should = 0. Isn't the ball kicked in the air at angle theta?

I haven't seen all your equations, but I'm assuming that y is height, and that you're solving for when the ball returns to the ground, ie y = 0.
And if the equation becomes 0 = A x - B x2 doesn't x = -2A/B and not A/B?

Nooo :redface:

0 = A x - B x2 = x(A - Bx). :wink:

Oh, I see... I don't know I tried to use the value I get for x0 , when I solved the quadratic, and plug that into the equation x0 + xp = d which is (cosθ sinθ (2v0)/g) - x0/v0cosθ = d and i get -1 = (gd / 2v0 sin θ0) - v0 cos θ0 which is close to what I'm trying to show but still not quite there.

Tiny-tim thanks a lot for the hint, it turned out that it's exactly what I needed to solve this problem. I made a mistake earlier in my algebra, but I took a look at my derivation again and it worked out beautifully.

1. What is parabolic motion?

Parabolic motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a curved path that follows the shape of a parabola. This type of motion is caused by the combination of a constant horizontal velocity and a constant downward acceleration due to gravity.

2. What are the key characteristics of parabolic motion?

The key characteristics of parabolic motion include a constant horizontal velocity, a constant downward acceleration due to gravity, and a symmetrical curved path called a parabola. The object's initial velocity, angle of launch, and position also affect its motion.

3. How is the trajectory of a parabolic motion determined?

The trajectory of a parabolic motion is determined by the object's initial velocity, angle of launch, and position in relation to the ground. These factors, along with the constant acceleration due to gravity, can be used to calculate the object's position at any point in time.

4. What are some real-life examples of parabolic motion?

Some real-life examples of parabolic motion include projectile motion of objects such as balls, bullets, and rockets. Other examples include the motion of a football thrown or kicked in the air, or the trajectory of a javelin or discus in track and field events.

5. How is parabolic motion used in physics and engineering?

Parabolic motion is used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. It is also used in designing and testing projectiles, such as missiles and rockets, and in calculating the trajectory of objects in sports and other activities.