Parallax and Perspective Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of parallax and perspective and their effects on the perception of distance and movement. The child being tutored is curious about why objects in the distance appear to move in the same direction as the observer, while close objects appear to move in the opposite direction. They also inquire about why distant objects appear smaller and why lines seem to converge. The tutor provides explanations such as the expansion of the field of view and the subtended angle of objects, but the child is not entirely satisfied. The tutor suggests comparing the speeds of objects in the distance and closer objects in a moving train to better understand these concepts. However, the tutor also acknowledges that sometimes the answers in science may not make sense at first, but
peter.ell
I completely understand the effects of parallax as well as perspective...intuitively; but I can't seem to explain them to a particularly inquisitive child I'm tutoring.

He wants to know, in conceptual terms, why objects in the distance like the moon seem to move in the same direction as you (the moon is following me!), while close objects seem to move in the opposite direction to one's movement.

He also wants to know, again in conceptual terms, why things in the distance look smaller and why lines seem to converge. I told him it's because objects subtend a smaller angle the further away they are, but he wasn't satisfied with my admittedly under-thought answer.

Any help in explaining and understanding this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
the best I can do is:

your field of view expands as you look further into the distance, the more area your field of view covers the smaller objects seem as a result, as for the moon following him, the further things are the less they seem to move when you move, the moon is so far away that it's movement is unnoticable, however when compared to closer objects that move away from you this would make it appear that the moon is moving with you, (perhaps you could ask him next time he is in a train to compare the speeds of trees in the distance and trees that are closer to the train)

that's the best I can do, I'm not sure if it will be helpful or not

I'd say the answers you gave him were pretty good. If he doesn't accept them then I think you should simply tell him that the way you explained it is the way science does and that while it might not make any sense, it is the correct answer. Many people have a hard time accepting things initially, but once they mull it over in their head or learn a little bit more it simply "clicks" and starts to make sense.

1. What is parallax and perspective?

Parallax is the apparent shift in the position of an object when viewed from different angles. Perspective is the way that objects appear smaller as they get further away from the viewer.

2. How do parallax and perspective work together?

Parallax and perspective are both optical illusions that are created by the position and movement of the viewer. Parallax makes objects appear to move in relation to each other when the viewer changes their position, while perspective makes objects appear smaller or larger based on their distance from the viewer.

3. What causes parallax and perspective?

Parallax and perspective are caused by the fact that our eyes are separated by a distance, which allows us to see objects from two different angles. This creates a difference in the way that objects are perceived, leading to the illusion of parallax and perspective.

4. How are parallax and perspective used in science?

Parallax and perspective are important concepts in fields such as astronomy and geology. In astronomy, parallax is used to measure the distance to stars and other celestial objects. In geology, perspective is used to create topographical maps and study the Earth's surface.

5. Can parallax and perspective be seen in everyday life?

Yes, parallax and perspective can be seen in everyday life. For example, when driving, objects on the side of the road appear to move faster than objects in the distance, creating a sense of depth and distance. Also, when looking at a landscape, objects in the distance appear smaller than objects that are closer to us, due to perspective.