Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Axis Theorem Clarification

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    in what situations would you require the use of the parallel axis theorem?

Also, from the physics book it says that let x and y coordinates of P(a point parallel to the first axis) be a and b. then let dm be a mass element(what does this mean? a point anywhere within the object?) with the general coordinates x and y. the rotational inertia of the body about the axis through P is then I=∫r^2 dm = ∫[(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2]dm

im a little confused and any clarification would as to how, why, and when this would make sense.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2013 #2
    Moment of Inertia, I is defined as [itex] \int {r^2}\,dm [/itex] where dm takes on the value of the masses of all infinitesimal pieces of area. This makes sense since for a finite collection of masses, [itex] m_i [/itex], moment of inertia is defined as
    [itex] I= \sum_{i} r_i^2 m_i [/itex].

The parallel axis theorem, which states that [itex] I = I_{cm} + mr^2 [/itex] is useful when a mass is being rotated about an axis which does not go through the center of mass. For example, if I am rotating a uniform disk of mass M and radius R about an axis perpendicular to the disk and a distance of r away from its center, then the moment of inertia for this rotation would be [itex] I= {\frac{MR^2}{2}}\ + Mr^2[/itex].

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook