Parallel-Plate Capacitor Question

• Thread starter Lovergoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
I would assume the electric field, so the correct equation when a dielectric is present should be,C=\frac{EA}{V}Where E is the electric field inside the capacitor, A is the area of one of the plates and V is the potential difference between the two plates. So you should have,C=\frac{EoA}{d}Where Eo is the electric field outside the capacitor. In summary, the maximum charge that can be stored in this parallel-plate capacitor is incorrect because one of the equations used was not applicable for a capacitor with a dielectric. The correct equation should be C=(Eo*A)/d, where Eo is the electric field outside the capacitor. The equation used, C
Lovergoo

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor is made from two aluminum-foil sheets, each 3.50 cm wide and 15.0 m long. Between the sheets is a mica strip of the same width and length that is 0.0225 mm thick.

What is the maximum charge that can be stored in this capacitor? (The dielectric constant of mica is 5.4, and its dielectric strength is 1.00* 10^8 V/m.

Homework Equations

C=(Eo*A)/d
V=Ed=(Eo/K)*d

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated A from the given dimensions, 0.525 m^2. Then I calculated C with [(8.85*10^-12)(0.525)]/(2.25*10^-5 m). Next, I tried to calculate V by taking the dielectric breakdown value of 1.00*10^8 and dividing by the dielectric constant 5.4. I then multiplied that value by the distance, 2.25*10^-5 m giving me 416.67 V. I multiplied V*C to find Qmax. The value is 8.6*10^-5 -- for some reason this isn't right.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lovergoo said:

Homework Equations

C=(Eo*A)/d
V=Ed=(Eo/K)*d

The Attempt at a Solution

One of these equations are not correct for a capacitor with a dielectric. They should be,

[tex]C=\frac{k\epsilon_{0}A}{A}[/tex]

By [tex]E_{0}[/tex] do you mean electric field or permitivity of free space?

Your approach seems correct, but there may be a calculation error. Here is the correct solution:

1. First, calculate the capacitance using the formula C = (ε₀A)/d, where ε₀ is the permittivity of free space (8.85*10^-12 F/m), A is the area (0.525 m^2) and d is the distance between the plates (2.25*10^-5 m). This gives a capacitance of 1.86*10^-9 F.

2. Next, calculate the maximum electric field that the mica strip can withstand using the formula E = V/d, where V is the voltage and d is the thickness of the mica strip (0.0225 mm = 2.25*10^-5 m). This gives an electric field of 1.85*10^12 V/m.

3. Since the dielectric strength of mica is 1.00*10^8 V/m, the maximum voltage that can be applied is 1.85*10^12 V/m divided by 1.00*10^8 V/m, which gives a maximum voltage of 18.5 V.

4. Finally, the maximum charge that can be stored in the capacitor is Qmax = CV = (1.86*10^-9 F)(18.5 V) = 3.44*10^-8 C.

Therefore, the maximum charge that can be stored in this capacitor is 3.44*10^-8 C.

1. What is a parallel-plate capacitor?

A parallel-plate capacitor is an electronic component that consists of two parallel conducting plates separated by a dielectric material. It is used to store electrical charge in an electric field between the plates.

2. How does a parallel-plate capacitor work?

A parallel-plate capacitor works by storing electric charge on the plates, creating an electric field between them. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, it charges the plates and stores energy in the electric field. The amount of charge that can be stored is directly proportional to the distance between the plates and the surface area of the plates.

3. What is the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor is a measure of its ability to store charge. It is determined by the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material between the plates. The unit of capacitance is farads (F).

4. How do you calculate the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance in farads, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the surface area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. What are the applications of parallel-plate capacitors?

Parallel-plate capacitors have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. They are commonly used for filtering, tuning, and decoupling in electronic devices. They are also used in power supplies, electronic timing circuits, and as energy storage devices.