Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor with a radius of 12cm, separated by a dielectric sheet with a thickness of 2 microns and relative permittivity of 6. The area of each plate is calculated to be 0.0452m^2 and there is confusion about which equation to use and whether or not to include the permittivity of free space. The correct calculation is determined to be 5.4267288 x 10^-20.
MattNotrick
A parallel plate capacitor is defined of two circular plates with a radius of 12cm, it is separated by a dielectric sheet with a thickness of 2 microns (um) and relative permittivity of 6. It is charged with a potential difference of 110V.

The area of one plate I found is A=pie*R^2
= 452.389cm^2
= 4.5238m^2 is the area of each plate.

I am trying to work out the Capacitance, but I am not 100% sure on which equation route to take.

c=εoεrA
------
d

right? I am not sure whether to include the εo as there is it separated by a dielectric sheet, not just air space, or where to go from here.

Are my conversions correct? 2 microns = 0.000002 meters

Also ε = εo * εr, yes / no?

I tried doing

εA
___ =
d

(1.2x10^-5)(4.5238)^2

= 122.7885986

I feel this is wrong, or I am going down the wrong route, I've tried several different "plate capacitor calculators" on the internet, all giving me a different answer each time, confusing me even further, I think I may be using the wrong equation, any help would be much appreciated,

thanks Rick.

Physics news on Phys.org
MattNotrick said:
A parallel plate capacitor is defined of two circular plates with a radius of 12cm, it is separated by a dielectric sheet with a thickness of 2 microns (um) and relative permittivity of 6. It is charged with a potential difference of 110V.

The area of one plate I found is A=pie*R^2
= 452.389cm^2
= 4.5238m^2 is the area of each plate.

I am trying to work out the Capacitance, but I am not 100% sure on which equation route to take.

c=εoεrA
------
d

right? I am not sure whether to include the εo as there is it separated by a dielectric sheet, not just air space, or where to go from here.

Are my conversions correct? 2 microns = 0.000002 meters

Also ε = εo * εr, yes / no?

I tried doing

εA
___ =
d

(1.2x10^-5)(4.5238)^2

= 122.7885986

I feel this is wrong, or I am going down the wrong route, I've tried several different "plate capacitor calculators" on the internet, all giving me a different answer each time, confusing me even further, I think I may be using the wrong equation, any help would be much appreciated,

thanks Rick.

Welcome to the PF!

Convert to mks units in the beginning, and use them in all of your calculations. Your calculation of the disk area is wrong because of the way you converted units from cm^2 to m^2.

Hey, and thanks for the fast response, thanks for pointing out my error, needed to convert the squared number thanks, its 0.0452m^2.

What are you referring to when you say convert to "mks"? Thanks, is the equation on the right lines, or I am on the wrong track? I am fairly new to the course.

thanks, rick

Ok so I have changed all units to mks and using the equation

(relative permittivity)x(permitivity of free space)x(area of plate)^2

=
εo x εr x A
_________
d

=

6 x (8.85x10^-12)x(0.0452)^2

=

5.4267288 x 10^-20

I then did the same calculation, but i did not put the area as squared, instead I left it as just the single value, this gave me

= 1.2006024 x 10^-18

Please can someone verify which answer is correct?

Thanks, rick

thanks.

Last edited:

Hello Rick,

I can provide some guidance and clarification on your questions regarding the parallel plate capacitor.

Firstly, your approach of using the equation c=εoεrA/d is correct. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when using this equation.

1. The value of εo (permittivity of free space) is 8.85x10^-12 F/m. This value is always used when calculating capacitance in air or vacuum. In this case, since there is a dielectric sheet present, you will need to use the value of the relative permittivity (εr) of the dielectric material.

2. Your conversion of 2 microns to 0.000002 meters is correct.

3. The equation ε=εo * εr is correct. This is known as the permittivity constant.

Now, let's plug in the values in the equation:

c= (8.85x10^-12 F/m)(6)(4.5238m^2) / 0.000002m

= 1.69x10^-8 F

Therefore, the capacitance of the parallel plate capacitor is 1.69x10^-8 Farads.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts. It is always important to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for the variables. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by creating an electric field between two parallel metal plates. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, an electric field is created between the two plates. This causes one plate to become positively charged and the other to become negatively charged. The capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field between the plates.

3. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is C = ε0A/d, where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the dielectric material between the plates. Increasing the area and decreasing the distance between the plates will increase the capacitance, while using a material with a higher permittivity will also increase the capacitance.

5. What are some common uses for parallel plate capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to store energy, filter signals, and stabilize voltage. They are also used in radio frequency applications, power supplies, and as sensors in touch screens and accelerometers.