Parallel rlc circuit problem

In summary, the parallel circuit has a total reactance of 318 ohms and a capacitive inductance of 157 ohms.
DethRose
Hey

im in first year electronics and have a problem with a parallel rlc circuit

im trying to find the reactance (Xc and Xl) for a circuit that has a 500 ohm resister and a .01 microfarad capacitor in parallel with a 500 ohm resistor and a .5 mH inductor. The frequency of the circuit is 50 KhZ

here are my calculations

xc= 1/(2)(pie)(50khz)(.01microfarads)
= 0.32

xl= (2)(pie)(50khz)(.0005H)

but i had them both marked wrong...help with this would be very much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing, are you sure you got the right answer there.

Secondly, now that you have the reactance of the individual components, I suspect that the question is asking for the overall reactance.

so are you saying that answer that i came up with is right?

i know how to calculate everything else...but of course if the reactance is wrong so are all of the other values haha

The formulas are good, but I didn't get 0.32. What did you get for XL.

i got 157 ohms

anyone know how to figure this out?

my answers are Xc=318 ohms and Xl=157 ohms

That's what I get based on the information. Is that all the question asks for though, or is it asking for the circuit reactance.

no i think it was just a marking error...thanks

Parallel circuit consiting a 50Khz Power Supply with a 500 ohm resistor, capacitor with a .1microF value, and a .5mH inductor

-Use the Capacitive reactance formula XC= 1/2*3.14*Frequency*Capacitor : XC= 1/2*3.14*50KHZ (50,000Hz)*.1microF (.0000001F)= 31.8 Ohms
XC=31.8ohms

-Capacitive inductance formula XL=2*3.14*F*L : XL=2*3.14*50KHZ*.5mH= 157 ohms
XL=157ohms

Hi Bryonfire031, and welcome.

The posts above were posted in 2005 (dates are on the left of the post) and neither poster has logged on since 2007.

However, the question seemed to imply that there was a 500 ohm resistor in series with the inductor (as well as the first 500 ohms ) and it was asking for the total impedance, so it may not be a surprise that the poster was marked wrong.

The capacitor was 0.01 µF.

1. What is a parallel RLC circuit?

A parallel RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a combination of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel. This means that the components share the same voltage source, but have separate current paths.

2. How does a parallel RLC circuit behave?

A parallel RLC circuit behaves differently depending on the frequency of the input voltage. At certain frequencies, the circuit will exhibit resonance, where the current and voltage are in phase and the impedance is at its minimum. At other frequencies, the circuit will exhibit anti-resonance, where the current and voltage are out of phase and the impedance is at its maximum.

3. What is the formula for calculating the impedance of a parallel RLC circuit?

The formula for calculating the impedance of a parallel RLC circuit is Z = √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2), where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance.

4. How do you solve a parallel RLC circuit problem?

To solve a parallel RLC circuit problem, you can use a variety of techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and phasor analysis. You will also need to use the above formula for calculating the impedance, and then use this value to find the current and voltage in the circuit.

5. What are some real-life applications of parallel RLC circuits?

Parallel RLC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and audio amplifiers. They are also used in power systems to filter out unwanted frequencies and improve power quality. Additionally, parallel RLC circuits are used in electronic filters to separate different frequencies and in resonant circuits for wireless power transfer.