Parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with setting up a position function for motion in circular motion, specifically for a rollercoaster physics assignment. The individual is unsure about translating the position function for uniform circular motion to motion in a merry go round and loop. They mention using a parametric equation for a torus and giving angular velocities to the angles.
Flin
Hello. I apologize if I put this in the wrong section.

I got this problem with the assignment I am currently working with. I have to set the position function for motion as a parametric equation for motion in circular motion, horizontal and vertical respectively.

While I do know the position function for uniform circular motion as a parametric equation I am unsure how this translates to these two types of cicurlar motions. This is rollercoaster physics, so it can be seen as how to set up parametric equations for motion in the merry go round and a loop (circular).

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with the parametric equation of a torus, which involves a couple of angles and the two radii. Then give the angles angular velocities.

1. What are parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion?

Parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion are mathematical expressions that describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. They use parameters, such as time or angle, to track the object's motion and can be used to solve problems involving circular motion.

2. How do you derive parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion?

To derive parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion, you can use the trigonometric relationships between the sides and angles of a circle. For vertical circular motion, the equations involve sine and cosine functions, while for horizontal circular motion, they involve tangent and secant functions.

3. What is the difference between parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion?

The main difference between parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion is the direction of the circular path. Vertical circular motion involves a circular path in the vertical plane, while horizontal circular motion involves a circular path in the horizontal plane. This also affects the trigonometric functions used in the equations.

4. How do you use parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion in real-life scenarios?

Parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion are commonly used in physics, engineering, and astronomy to describe the motion of objects in circular orbits. They can also be used to solve problems involving circular motion, such as calculating the velocity or acceleration of an object at a certain point in its orbit.

5. Are there any limitations to using parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion?

Parametric equations for vertical and horizontal circular motion are based on certain assumptions, such as a constant circular path and a uniform velocity. These equations may not accurately describe the motion of an object in more complex scenarios, such as when there are external forces acting on the object or when the circular path is not perfect.