What is the coinciding point limit of these two parametrized terms?

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the coinciding point limit of two terms involving various constants and integrals. The first term has a limit that can be determined from inspection, while the second term has a divergent series. The speaker suggests using limit laws to observe the behavior of the other terms instead of trying to solve the integrals analytically.
Willi Tschau

Homework Statement

The story is that I would like to evaluate the coinciding point limit (when ## (x^0, x^1)→(y^0,y^1)##) of these two terms:

\begin{eqnarray*}
&&\frac{1}{2L}e^{\frac{i}{2}eE\left((x ^1)^2-(y^1)^2\right)}\left( im\left( x^0-y^0+ x^1-y^1\right) \right) \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}e^{-ik_n( x^0-y^0+x^1-y^1)}\\
&&\times \frac{1}{L}\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}dx\left( -1\right)^{n}\cos \left( eE\left(\frac{L^2}{4} -x^2\right) +\left( 2n+1\right) \pi \frac{x}{L}\right) \\
&&+\frac{1}{2L}e^{\frac{i}{2}eE\left((x ^1)^2-(y^1)^2\right)}m \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} e^{-ik_n( x^0-y^0+x^1-y^1)}\\
&&\times \frac{1}{L}\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}dx\left(-1 \right)^{n}\left(2x-L \right)\sin\left( eE\left(\frac{L^2}{4}-x^2 \right)+\left(2n+1\right)\pi \frac{x}{L} \right)
\end{eqnarray*}

m, e, E, L are respectively the mass, charge, electric field strength, length of the box, and are constant. The energy levels ##k_n##'s are given by ##k_n=(n+1/2)\frac{\pi}{L}##.

Homework Equations

& 3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

1. There will be no singularities since another calculation of mine has shown that.

2. When I put ## \frac{1}{L}\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}dx\left( -1\right)^{n}\cos \left( eE\left(\frac{L^2}{4} -x^2\right) +\left( 2n+1\right) \pi \frac{x}{L}\right) ## in Mathematica, I got something that decays like ##\frac{1}{n}##, when ##n## is large.

So I expect the sum will give me ##\log (1-exp...)## (appropriate dissipative term ##\pm i \epsilon## may be needed); of course there will be some residue.

3. My burning question is: is there an analytic way to expand the integral which depends on ##n## as ##\frac{C}{n}+D+...##, for some constant ##C, D##, which are to be found?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit for the first term should be obvious from inspection.

The limit for the second term has a divergent series ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} 1##.

The integrals look like monsters to do analytically (although it appears possible), why not just observe the behaviour of the other terms and use some simple limit laws?

1. What is a parametrized integral?

A parametrized integral is an integral in which one or more of the limits of integration are expressed as functions of a variable (known as a parameter). This allows for a more flexible way of evaluating integrals, as the value of the integral can vary based on the value of the parameter.

2. How is a parametrized integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral has fixed limits of integration, while a parametrized integral has one or more of its limits expressed as functions of a variable. This allows for a wider range of possible values for the integral, making it more versatile and useful in certain situations.

3. What is a parametrized sum?

A parametrized sum is a summation in which the terms being added are expressed as functions of a variable (known as a parameter). Similar to a parametrized integral, this allows for more flexibility in the summation and can result in different values depending on the value of the parameter.

4. How are parametrized integrals and sums used in science?

Parametrized integrals and sums are commonly used in mathematical modeling and data analysis. They allow for a more nuanced and dynamic approach to solving problems, making them useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Can any integral or sum be expressed as a parametrized integral or sum?

No, not all integrals and sums can be expressed as parametrized integrals or sums. In order for a parametrized integral or sum to be useful, it must have at least one limit or term that can be expressed as a function of a variable.