Parents joining Facebook - The party is over

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

When Mom or Dad Asks To Be a Facebook 'Friend'

When Matt Florian signed onto his Facebook account recently to check the status of his 400-plus friends, he had a friend request.

It was from his dad.

The junior at Sherwood High School in Montgomery County didn't panic. No. He simply took a deep breath and pondered his options...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/08/AR2008030801034.html

Answers and Replies

My mother has a facebook account and so does my aunt and uncle. It's not that bad, however I took down any incriminating pictures a while back (due to job reasons).

Personally I would probably be more concerned with what I would see on my parents' pages.

Amazing coincidence : my father requested friendship on facebook yesterday ! I accepted gladly, but I'm 29 and he does not speak english. I must say I thought of removing some pictures, but eventually I did not.

These days to date a girl you have to accept her parents as facebook friends, too

Pengwuino
Gold Member
These days to date a girl you have to accept her parents as facebook friends, too
..... i guess if you're 14?

..... i guess if you're 14?
That's what you think. My girlfriend's dad joined facebook, befriended me, and posted a flurry of messages all over my wall, all in the same day. It freaked her out.

Mk
Just stay out of facebook. There's enough awkwardness in normal life.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
That's what you think. My girlfriend's dad joined facebook, befriended me, and posted a flurry of messages all over my wall, all in the same day. It freaked her out.
It's called ignoring friend requests.

russ_watters
Mentor
My mother recently joined facebook to communicate with her golf and bridge buddies, but she knows better than to friend request me.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
My mother recently joined facebook to communicate with her golf and bridge buddies, but she knows better than to friend request me.
I feel the love:rofl:

lol My dad was telling my brother today there is a Facebook group called "Parents whose children won't friend them."

Danger
Gold Member
100% agreement on that.

On occasion I get requests from people I know, but don't really know (if you know what I mean). They just decide to friend me because we've talked once in the lounge. I usually just friend them, and unfriend them a few weeks later. That way they dont feel bad about not being friended, and forget by the time I unfriend them. The only problem is that then you keep popping up as 'people you may know'! Then there like, hmmm wait a minute. :rofl:

It's kind of like firing someone on a friday. It avoids less problems throughout the week.

Agreed.

A couple of times (not anymore fortunately) when I was extremely drunk, I posted on random people's pages saying stuff that didn't make sense. It was embarrasing to say the least.

I'm still in college.

A couple of times (not anymore fortunately) when I was extremely drunk, I posted on random people's pages saying stuff that didn't make sense. It was embarrasing to say the least.
But this has nothing to do with facebook. It's only because you found out how you behave when drunk.

neu
Just think about the ammount of CO2e attributable to people poking each other and writing the word lol. bastards.

The party is over? Facebook was a party? It's just an emmence vapid exercise in bullsh*t

Alfi
I'm a parent and there isn't any way I want to look at my daughters page.

I know way more than I want to already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a parent and there isn't any way I want to look at my daughters page.

I know way more than I want to already.
I agree...when it comes to the older teenagers. However, when it comes to the little one...we watch her like a hawk. She's not on facebook but several of her elementary school friends are...thanks to their parents and grandparents.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
My daughter has been on Facebook for a while, and my wife just joined. Out of the blue, my wife has been contacted by people with whom she went to JHS and SHS in the 1960's. Her 40th HS reunion is coming up.

We have monitored our kids on the internet, and until they were 16, we have parental controls active. Since they are 17 or older, we suspended the parental restrictions.

I have no inclination to join Facebook.

I accepted my mom, when she friended me. Pretty much everyone in my family, besides my dad, has a page.

I agree...when it comes to the older teenagers. However, when it comes to the little one...we watch her like a hawk. She's not on facebook but several of her elementary school friends are...thanks to their parents and grandparents.
Well you really should be over 16 for any service like bebo, facebook or myspace.

Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey, that's neat. I went to Sherwood High School.

Are you the kid, they are talking about??? Poor child............