Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parents joining Facebook - The party is over

1. May 13, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/08/AR2008030801034.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2
    My mother has a facebook account and so does my aunt and uncle. It's not that bad, however I took down any incriminating pictures a while back (due to job reasons).

4. May 13, 2009 #3
  5. May 13, 2009 #4
    Personally I would probably be more concerned with what I would see on my parents' pages.

6. May 13, 2009 #5
    Amazing coincidence : my father requested friendship on facebook yesterday ! I accepted gladly, but I'm 29 and he does not speak english. I must say I thought of removing some pictures, but eventually I did not.

7. May 13, 2009 #6
    These days to date a girl you have to accept her parents as facebook friends, too

8. May 13, 2009 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

..... i guess if you're 14?

9. May 13, 2009 #8
    That's what you think. My girlfriend's dad joined facebook, befriended me, and posted a flurry of messages all over my wall, all in the same day. It freaked her out.

10. May 13, 2009 #9

Mk

Just stay out of facebook. There's enough awkwardness in normal life.

11. May 13, 2009 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It's called ignoring friend requests.

12. May 13, 2009 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

My mother recently joined facebook to communicate with her golf and bridge buddies, but she knows better than to friend request me.

13. May 13, 2009 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I feel the love:rofl:

14. May 13, 2009 #13
    lol My dad was telling my brother today there is a Facebook group called "Parents whose children won't friend them."

15. May 13, 2009 #14

Danger

Gold Member

100% agreement on that.

16. May 14, 2009 #15
    On occasion I get requests from people I know, but don't really know (if you know what I mean). They just decide to friend me because we've talked once in the lounge. I usually just friend them, and unfriend them a few weeks later. That way they dont feel bad about not being friended, and forget by the time I unfriend them. The only problem is that then you keep popping up as 'people you may know'! Then there like, hmmm wait a minute. :rofl:

It's kind of like firing someone on a friday. It avoids less problems throughout the week.

17. May 14, 2009 #16
    Agreed.

A couple of times (not anymore fortunately) when I was extremely drunk, I posted on random people's pages saying stuff that didn't make sense. It was embarrasing to say the least.

I'm still in college.

18. May 14, 2009 #17
    But this has nothing to do with facebook. It's only because you found out how you behave when drunk.

19. May 14, 2009 #18

neu

Just think about the ammount of CO2e attributable to people poking each other and writing the word lol. bastards.

The party is over? Facebook was a party? It's just an emmence vapid exercise in bullsh*t

20. May 14, 2009 #19
    I'm a parent and there isn't any way I want to look at my daughters page.

I know way more than I want to already.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  21. May 14, 2009 #20
    I agree...when it comes to the older teenagers. However, when it comes to the little one...we watch her like a hawk. She's not on facebook but several of her elementary school friends are...thanks to their parents and grandparents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook