1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parity and CP-violation

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I've gained interest in the LHC being built at CERN, which has led me to the LHCb experiments, which pertain to CP-violation.

QUESTION #1

What sort of classes/branches would teach/contain 'charge conjugation' and 'parity'?

QUESTION #2

the wiki article on parity states that parity is an operator-

"acting on a state ψ as follows: P ψ(r) = ψ(-r). One must have P^2 ψ(r) = e^(i φ) ψ(r), since an overall phase is unobservable."

I'd be interested to see the proof for P^2, and I'm curious how the overall phase being unobservable justifies this (not even sure I know what is meant by the "over all phase")

MY PHYSICS BACKGROUND

I am up to Chapter 7 in Griffith's QM. There doesn't seem to be a section on 'parity' or 'charge conjugation' in the undergrad book, so I am left to wiki

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2
    Q1) See QFT Dirac field,KG charged field etc..... electroweak model...
    Q2)See wigner theorem... its on unitary operator acting on hilbert spaces that implement a symmetry trasf..

regards

4. Mar 8, 2008 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

An intro course in high energy/particle physics at the level of Perkins would give you a first glimpse of such a thing.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?